Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I was pretty upset about this new too and not sure what to think. It is kind of like when I took delivery of my Model 3 LR in May 2021 when they first removed the radar and everything was limited. Autosteer limited to 75 and phantom braking every few miles. I will say, Tesla Vision has improved since then, but it’s still not as good as my 2019 Model 3 with the radar was. So I cannot help but feel that Tesla Vision has been two steps back and one step forward. Still waiting on those next few steps forward. Yet FSD Beta seems to be a harbinger of some really nice future features (my safety score will never be good enough to qualify for FSD Beta until it’s rolled out to the entire fleet).
With all of that being said, I’m not going to make any hasty decisions here. I’ll wait for the Model 3’s and Y’s to be delivered without USS and we will see how they do. From my understanding, Autopark, Summons and Smart Summons will all be disabled, and if that’s the case, I will strongly consider removing EAP and perhaps purchase it at a later date. The risk of that being, my date may be pushed to 2023 and then I will certainly take delivery of an S without USS. The furthest date range on my EDD is currently 12/28, and I’m curious to know if Tesla is intending on removing the USS on S/X for vehicles manufactured in the calendar year 2023 or model year 2023, as we know those are two different dates.
Seeing where you are located, camera cannot see the lane marker or in a white out. No radar, you are driving blind with FSD or not FSD.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Seeing where you are located, camera cannot see the lane marker or in a white out. No radar, you are driving blind with FSD or not FSD.
Agree. I’ve been about this a bit more throughout the day, and I’m inclined to believe that Tesla will likely disable the sensors in all their cars, regardless of whether they have the sensors or not, as they transition to Tesla Vision. They recently did the same thing with cars equipped with the radars. Understandably, they want to keep the data and software to/from the fleet cohesive. This is just pure speculation.

Agree. I’ve been about this a bit more throughout the day, and I’m inclined to believe that Tesla will likely disable the sensors in all their cars, regardless of whether they have the sensors or not, as they transition to Tesla Vision. They recently did the same thing with cars equipped with the radars. Understandably, they want to keep the data and software to/from the fleet cohesive. This is just pure speculation.
However they still have to resolve what the cameras cannot see issue. How do they circumvent that? A thin cold of snow or ice will obscure any lane markers.

However they still have to resolve what the cameras cannot see issue. How do they circumvent that? A thin cold of snow or ice will obscure any lane markers.
Do the ultrasonic sensors actually detect lines in the road? From my experience, autosteer does not even account for data from the USS’. I’ve had the car almost run into lines of cones on the side of the highway before and not even give a warning. Do I even bother mentioning deer? My Model 3 plowed into a deer going 50 MPH, yet it will slam the brakes if it sees an oncoming semi with a shadow in my lane. I blame Tesla Vision for that. I think the capabilities of autosteer, with or without radar, are often overstated and overestimated by Tesla and Tesla fans alike. As much as some of us don’t want to admit it, these systems are designed to be used in conjunction with a fully alert human behind the wheel. Apologies for getting us way off topic.

Do the ultrasonic sensors actually detect lines in the road? From my experience, autosteer does not even account for data from the USS’. I’ve had the car almost run into lines of cones on the side of the highway before and not even give a warning. Do I even bother mentioning deer? My Model 3 plowed into a deer going 50 MPH, yet it will slam the brakes if it sees an oncoming semi with a shadow in my lane. I blame Tesla Vision for that. I think the capabilities of autosteer, with or without radar, are often overstated and overestimated by Tesla and Tesla fans alike. As much as some of us don’t want to admit it, these systems are designed to be used in conjunction with a fully alert human behind the wheel. Apologies for getting us way off topic.
Autosteer doesn’t, but things like auto lane change do require the USS to be functional currently as a safety measure. I know the current lineup in that announcement states that auto lane change will be available in cars without USS, but as of now they are used.

Regardless, not a fan of them removing sensors and placing all their bets on the cameras. Sensors allowed the car to have a way to “see” objects and obstacles in the event that the cameras missed them. Tesla also doesn’t have a way to now detect bumper level obstacles, unless they mount a camera underneath.

It just seems like a cost/supply measure that will most likely actively **** with their goal of lvl 5 autonomy.

Speaking of USS, my S apparently shipped with one of the front ones dead, so mobile is coming out next week to fix that. Bellevue Service Center tried doing a reprogram/reset to no avail. They did fix every other paint/cosmetic issue, car looks flawless now.

Autosteer doesn’t, but things like auto lane change do require the USS to be functional currently as a safety measure. I know the current lineup in that announcement states that auto lane change will be available in cars without USS, but as of now they are used.

Regardless, not a fan of them removing sensors and placing all their bets on the cameras. Sensors allowed the car to have a way to “see” objects and obstacles in the event that the cameras missed them. Tesla also doesn’t have a way to now detect bumper level obstacles, unless they mount a camera underneath.

It just seems like a cost/supply measure that will most likely actively **** with their goal of lvl 5 autonomy.

Speaking of USS, my S apparently shipped with one of the front ones dead, so mobile is coming out next week to fix that. Bellevue Service Center tried doing a reprogram/reset to no avail. They did fix every other paint/cosmetic issue, car looks flawless now.
What happen when the camera lens got dirty because of dust, mud or dirt. That will for sure obscure the "vision" and we will lose the only sensing device.

IIRC, no MS from Freemont were delivered last year with a NF code until late Nov.

So, they may be building components now, but I'll wait until someone reports a PF code VIN delivery.
2023 is a PF not an OF? Hopefully the 2023 MS will come out in October instead of Nov like last year. My hold status is expiring mid October.

2023 is a PF not an OF? Hopefully the 2023 MS will come out in October instead of Nov like last year. My hold status is expiring mid October.
It is common for technical documentation to not use "O" to avoid confusion.

Be careful what you wish for, unless you like no USS on your bumpers.
My goal is to pick up a 23 w all the sensors (USS) intact. I would hate to drive around for a year without park assist. I’ve had to deal w a reduced speed limit on the Y for almost a year when they removed radar last year. Don’t want to deal w that again.
I like even year numbers. '22 has the sensors for sure.

If you are partial to red/cream/walnut, With immediate delivery, I know of one...

😁

From earlier reports the MS and MX will still have the old sensors installed until a date determined mid 2023… so you should be GTG for the short term until they do a software update…
Valid point about the update. Tesla has said they they do not intend to disable the USS’ on vehicles equipped with them… yet. But it’s most likely coming at some point in 2023 or 2024, just like how they disabled the radar units with software updates.