Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are they only making cars for export at the moment? Wondering if they are back to their old ways of pushing everything to the end of quarter for US sales. Expect to receive your car on New Year's Eve.
It appears they are currently producing EU cars (or at least, those are the folks currently getting VINs). It wouldn’t surprise me if S/X stay on the “end of quarter rush for US” timeframe. They need to fill ships, and if the only cars being put on ships are S/X they need to produce enough of those to fill a ship. They have to do it all at once because they don’t necessarily have enough free space to store an extra thousand or two cars for weeks at a time. There is also only one factory/production line in the world for S/X versus 4 for Y and 2 for 3, which means logistics for those models is far simpler and they no longer need to dedicate as much production time for certain markets.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Now the app doesn't show any estimated delivery date. Tesla sent me a text stating the following "We apologize for a message sent in error yesterday regarding delivery of a vehicle this year. Your Tesla app will reflect the correct date of expected delivery for you. Thanks for your understanding."

I messaged them asking for an updated date but haven't received a message back.

Last week, got the text others have gotten about expecting delivery in the next several weeks.
No update to EDD since then, still 12/1-12/31
I was scheduled to accept delivery yesterday. I decided to request for a hold since the vehicle was a 2022 VIN. I was told they will hold delivery for a week but they have no way to guarantee the next one assigned is not a 2022 as well.

I put in an order for a Model S LR with delivery to Dallas this weekend.

What is the general estimate on time from order to VIN/delivery these days?
Tesla goes through cycles of producing cars for the entire NA market and producing cars that will be shipped overseas. They usually spend the last month primarily building NA cars because they can’t build a car, ship it and get it delivered before the end of quarter (it’s a silly stock market thing that doesn’t actually matter, but to them it does.)

As such, if Tesla promised Nov-Feb I would expect it either in December or February, but likely not January unless it was already on its way to you but got delayed. They are probably going to kick off overseas production again starting Jan 1. My S LR to Houston is EDD Dec 3-Dec 31, so despite the webpage saying Nov-Feb for new orders it’s probably minimum December by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeKFE