Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it could vary widely by the SvC, depending if the work on it and how long it sits there.

I think the cars are shipped with 70% but that is a guess based on three delivery data points.

Even if the car was at 100% for a week, unlikely to cause any damage that would be noticable, say a year into ownership.

Teslafi data shows many MS refresh cars at 402-405 miles projected rated range. Very few are below 400.

Highly recommend to get Teslafi. If your RR is the same as others, set display to percentage and let the car take care of the pack.

The biggest risk to a Model S on a carrier is what happens when they drive it off. Look at the entire underside very carefully before accepting.

Last edited:
FYI., center horn is not happening with the new round steering. I spoke to the lead tech at the local Austin store and he suggests I tone down expectation. Bummer.
Go yoke or go ... broke? Seriously can't think of anything to rhyme :D

Also, the yoke unlocks an extra 25mph ... and if you go red plus yoke ... well ... that's just straight up transwarp ...

Nothing to do with your post, I think the lack of a center horn is silly (yoke or wheel) and can't imagine that the switch would cost more than $3 ... would love to know the reasons.

Here's some additional periods because I overused them in this post, why stop now ...

Reactions: Laddcruzer
I think it could vary widely by the SvC, depending if the work on it and how long it sits there.

I think the cars are shipped with 70% but that is a guess based on three delivery data points.

Even if the car was at 100% for a week, unlikely to cause any damage that would be noticable, say a year into ownership.

Teslafi data shows many MS refresh cars at 402-405 miles projected rated range. Very few are below 400.

Highly recommend to get Teslafi. If your RR is the same as others, set display to percentage and let the car take care of the pack.

The biggest risk to a car on a carrier is what happens when they drive it off. Look at the entire underside very carefully before accepting.
Thanks. I did always use the percentage mode on my MYP, and I agree that it is the better way to drive it. And if I was pushing for a long distance while traveling, until the next charger, I'd also start paying attention to my Wh/mile.

I guess it makes sense that they probably ship them at a safer state of charge, and maybe boost to near full sometime before delivery at the SvC. Never used Teslafi (other than for what software is being released) but will sure look into it.

Thanks very much...Appreciate the reply and insight. It's good to hear from someone who has a 992 GT3. So your input is super helpful bc you "get it". I was concerned with grip, but you addressed that. How about body roll? My Taycan has PDCC. There is virtually no body roll...and that inspires a lot of confidence. Do I need a rear sway bar to lock it down more? Repeated hard stops is a non-issue. This is a street car only. I was given the impression that the stopping was horrible. I live in Ft. Lauderdale. Always summer tires. I am re-thinking the Plaid now. Only other concern is the deletion of the USS and how the cameras will make parking a non-issue. Used to surround view in the Porsche and my 720s. Found it indispensable.
Bear in mind the caveat that while I have a Plaid on order, I do not own one, so my experience is limited to around 500 total miles in my friends 2022. Body roll not noticeable to me, but limited time in the twisties. You can feel the weight, don't think a sway bar is needed but Taycan will perform better in every performance metric except raw speed and range. Brakes, to be clear the feel is not super confidence inspiring and I think that's what they are called terrible. You'll notice that feeling right away slowing from say 100 as it's little unnerving coming from cars with glorious overkill brakes, but they do the job. Honestly you have so much experience in sorted cars that it's all about expectations - for me I want the tech, range, ridiculous power all wrapped up in a good looking, practical and smooth riding package. The Plaid offers this and can get the job done when it comes to the corners, but don't expect too much, esp if your benchmark is the wonderful 720S. Sorry I can't be more help here.

Given the extra $5k price decrease I've made the decision to trust this HW4 upgrade rather than get a USS equipped demo. My garages are tall and wide but fairly short (fits the S by around 2 1/2 feet ish, maybe a touch more) but can get a wall sensor from amazon that other members here recommended if it's an issue. But yeah kinda funny/dumb that Tesla's lack of 360 parking has them way behind now.

Bear in mind the caveat that while I have a Plaid on order, I do not own one, so my experience is limited to around 500 total miles in my friends 2022. Body roll not noticeable to me, but limited time in the twisties. You can feel the weight, don't think a sway bar is needed but Taycan will perform better in every performance metric except raw speed and range. Brakes, to be clear the feel is not super confidence inspiring and I think that's what they are called terrible. You'll notice that feeling right away slowing from say 100 as it's little unnerving coming from cars with glorious overkill brakes, but they do the job. Honestly you have so much experience in sorted cars that it's all about expectations - for me I want the tech, range, ridiculous power all wrapped up in a good looking, practical and smooth riding package. The Plaid offers this and can get the job done when it comes to the corners, but don't expect too much, esp if your benchmark is the wonderful 720S. Sorry I can't be more help here.

Given the extra $5k price decrease I've made the decision to trust this HW4 upgrade rather than get a USS equipped demo. My garages are tall and wide but fairly short (fits the S by around 2 1/2 feet ish, maybe a touch more) but can get a wall sensor from amazon that other members here recommended if it's an issue. But yeah kinda funny/dumb that Tesla's lack of 360 parking has them way behind now.

this is stock with just the brakes upgrades. FYI it’s hitting 205mph. Vittel is the professional Tesla driver. Not many know this.

So, Little Nightmare story for everyone. Sharing in case some of this info is useful as you all take delivery.
The background: For those that remember me, I was part of the early 2023 delivery groups... as I saw my delivery date get pushed a couple times, I found a little gem on a lot: late 2022, had some front end damage at delivery to the Tesla dealership, and it just got put back on the lot. The price was dropped ~$10k so I figured for HW3 that wasn't bad... now to see that there was a $10k drop... ugh. That kind-a sucks! Because I should be getting my original order (ordered 7 Jan) around now... Here is what has happened since.

What has occurred: So I get the car and it has 7 issues, not major... I didn't think.
  1. Trunk made a strange noise when closing
  2. trim in trunk (left rear) needed to be replaced/aligned as it didn't cover weld lines as intended
  3. Hood alignment off and touching at top drivers side
  4. Rear drivers quarter panel window trim not seated properly
  5. Passenger rear door handle works intermittently
  6. Paint chips near top of hood in pillars next to windshield
  7. Noted minor paint scratches and buff marks
So, overall, I don't think that was too bad for a Model S delivery... I figured I would take the car. I am a QE (Quality Engineer) for Lockheed Martin, so I have an eye for all those little minor details. I think the car looked good! I drove it home and around a bit, put ~300 miles on the car. My plan was to drive the car for a bit, drop it off at my local SC the next week, have the issues addressed while on vacation (22 Feb - 6 Mar), and pick up my nice, shiny, fixed-up Model-S. I checked the car in at the Tesla SC on the 21st, had a good service rep, looked at the issues, notated things... I figured I was in good hands. They said my appointment was on 2 March, but they should be able to get me in early with the vehicle on site. I looked at my app a few times on vacation, (we have had a few Tesla's so I know how the service check-in works) the vehicle was never moved nor did I get any service updates. So, the day after the appointment (mistake #1, should have called day of with no app update) I text them to see what the status is. I get the corporate worded excuse for "we forgot" and they will now get me in later in the month. I gave them a sternly (but professional) worded reply that I expected more from them. They then squeezed me in yesterday, 3 days later than the appointment.
Totally cool! I am a day late, but they are fixing things, I got time... so all is good, right? Wrong. I get a text. Apparently an "oops" occurred and they cracked my windshield. They are going to replace it, np. Frustrating... but ok. We go back and forth a bit, they couldn't figure out the trim thing in the trunk, so this morning I went over to the Tesla center to point out the issue. When I showed them, they had an "ah-ha" moment, and they said they would get right on it. 11:30, I get the message that all is done! Great! Let's go see.
What... The... Hell... So, Trunk noise - Fixed. Trunk trim - no change, Hood alignment - Fixed, Window trim - no change, Passenger Handle - Fixed, Paint chip - no change, Buff marks/Scratches - no change. Also, I notice that the passenger front quarter panel is protruding significantly away from the body near the top... this is not the way it was (like I said, I am fairly neurotic about things) I am not thrilled. So, I go back in, get the service writer, and they then hit me with a "yeah, this will have to go to a local body shop, we will need the car for 3 weeks. They gave me a loaner... a Model S... think it is a 2015 P85 or something... looks like a recent trade-in, kind-a beat up... dirty. At least I have wheels... but damn man...

So... not going well and not happy. Should have stuck with my order. Don't get impatient gentlemen. And be meticulous... be a self-advocate, stay calm and professional, but be persistent and don't accept a half-done job.

Reactions: Nickos and AMPd

can anyone explain why Tesla doesn't offer a 360 parking camera?

Reactions: Nickos and brooklyn
So, Little Nightmare story for everyone. Sharing in case some of this info is useful as you all take delivery.
The background: For those that remember me, I was part of the early 2023 delivery groups... as I saw my delivery date get pushed a couple times, I found a little gem on a lot: late 2022, had some front end damage at delivery to the Tesla dealership, and it just got put back on the lot. The price was dropped ~$10k so I figured for HW3 that wasn't bad... now to see that there was a $10k drop... ugh. That kind-a sucks! Because I should be getting my original order (ordered 7 Jan) around now... Here is what has happened since.

What has occurred: So I get the car and it has 7 issues, not major... I didn't think.
  1. Trunk made a strange noise when closing
  2. trim in trunk (left rear) needed to be replaced/aligned as it didn't cover weld lines as intended
  3. Hood alignment off and touching at top drivers side
  4. Rear drivers quarter panel window trim not seated properly
  5. Passenger rear door handle works intermittently
  6. Paint chips near top of hood in pillars next to windshield
  7. Noted minor paint scratches and buff marks
So, overall, I don't think that was too bad for a Model S delivery... I figured I would take the car. I am a QE (Quality Engineer) for Lockheed Martin, so I have an eye for all those little minor details. I think the car looked good! I drove it home and around a bit, put ~300 miles on the car. My plan was to drive the car for a bit, drop it off at my local SC the next week, have the issues addressed while on vacation (22 Feb - 6 Mar), and pick up my nice, shiny, fixed-up Model-S. I checked the car in at the Tesla SC on the 21st, had a good service rep, looked at the issues, notated things... I figured I was in good hands. They said my appointment was on 2 March, but they should be able to get me in early with the vehicle on site. I looked at my app a few times on vacation, (we have had a few Tesla's so I know how the service check-in works) the vehicle was never moved nor did I get any service updates. So, the day after the appointment (mistake #1, should have called day of with no app update) I text them to see what the status is. I get the corporate worded excuse for "we forgot" and they will now get me in later in the month. I gave them a sternly (but professional) worded reply that I expected more from them. They then squeezed me in yesterday, 3 days later than the appointment.
Totally cool! I am a day late, but they are fixing things, I got time... so all is good, right? Wrong. I get a text. Apparently an "oops" occurred and they cracked my windshield. They are going to replace it, np. Frustrating... but ok. We go back and forth a bit, they couldn't figure out the trim thing in the trunk, so this morning I went over to the Tesla center to point out the issue. When I showed them, they had an "ah-ha" moment, and they said they would get right on it. 11:30, I get the message that all is done! Great! Let's go see.
What... The... Hell... So, Trunk noise - Fixed. Trunk trim - no change, Hood alignment - Fixed, Window trim - no change, Passenger Handle - Fixed, Paint chip - no change, Buff marks/Scratches - no change. Also, I notice that the passenger front quarter panel is protruding significantly away from the body near the top... this is not the way it was (like I said, I am fairly neurotic about things) I am not thrilled. So, I go back in, get the service writer, and they then hit me with a "yeah, this will have to go to a local body shop, we will need the car for 3 weeks. They gave me a loaner... a Model S... think it is a 2015 P85 or something... looks like a recent trade-in, kind-a beat up... dirty. At least I have wheels... but damn man...

So... not going well and not happy. Should have stuck with my order. Don't get impatient gentlemen. And be meticulous... be a self-advocate, stay calm and professional, but be persistent and don't accept a half-done job.
Former LM Aero Palmdale here....must be hard to reconcile this work with DoD standards.

Nothing wrong with a P85, reminds me of my old car when good service was possible, and you could talk to the techs. Enjoy the leather and sunroof.

You are lucky they did not break anything else. Hopefully the third party body shop will do it right.

I never let Tesla SvC touch my new car, fixed all the paint issues myself. Short vid showing what I found:

Hope it all works out for you.

Reactions: paulchou
can anyone explain why Tesla doesn't offer a 360 parking camera?
Just a guess at some possible answers:

"Fleet data shows that 99% of the cars never use parking sensors, so we took them off."

"360 cameras are a fools errand and Tesla vision will be better"

Note, above posts are off topic and should be in another place. My favorite place is the refresh issues thread, for some reason.

• Funny
Reactions: AMPd