Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took delivery of a new Model S Plaid. Since then, I notice that I am getting distinct high-frequency tones coming out of the front motor that are clearly a series of increasing fixed-pitch harmonics of some lower fundamental. They are power-related rather than speed-related. As I pay attention and play with the accelerator and cruise control, I find that the peaks of the tones are spaced about 3-4 mph apart for steady-state power outputs, with the harmonic tones rising in pitch steps as the power output increased. The tiniest adjustment of the accelerator can dramatically affect the volume of the tone as it hit a resonance for that pitch, and they can be quite significant in volume when the peak is hit. They are generally in the 1700-1800 Hz range. The lowest speed that I have heard it is around 29 mph, but it is more obvious at freeway speeds.

I am planning to request that the front motor be replaced, as I don't believe that this is normal and it is very annoying.

Has anyone else noticed such harmonic tones? Do you find them loud enough to be annoying?

I recently took delivery of a new Model S Plaid. Since then, I notice that I am getting distinct high-frequency tones coming out of the front motor that are clearly a series of increasing fixed-pitch harmonics of some lower fundamental. They are power-related rather than speed-related. As I pay attention and play with the accelerator and cruise control, I find that the peaks of the tones are spaced about 3-4 mph apart for steady-state power outputs, with the harmonic tones rising in pitch steps as the power output increased. The tiniest adjustment of the accelerator can dramatically affect the volume of the tone as it hit a resonance for that pitch, and they can be quite significant in volume when the peak is hit. They are generally in the 1700-1800 Hz range. The lowest speed that I have heard it is around 29 mph, but it is more obvious at freeway speeds.

I am planning to request that the front motor be replaced, as I don't believe that this is normal and it is very annoying.

Has anyone else noticed such harmonic tones? Do you find them loud enough to be annoying?

I had a 950km drive home from picking it upp. The first time I was traveling at high road and a bit traffic, keeping about 105 km/h (65mi), maybe a few km/h more I could hear a high pitch whining noice that I think came from the front motor. Specially if letting up the accelerator/throttle to “light on the foot”, no power but no regen.
It was high pitch and not that low, so I was thinking that it could become a problem.

I could hear it now and then for the two first hours, or so. Havent heard it since. I will try listening to it when driving home in two days.
Probably gone since the two forst hours of driving but I’m not sure.

• Informative
Reactions: SucreTease

I picked up my MSLR end of June. I’m pretty sure I’m hearing similar high frequency sound on acceleration. I added it to a service appointment for this Friday to adjust door to charger. I hadn’t thought much of it until reading your post. Thank you.

I picked up my MSLR end of June. I’m pretty sure I’m hearing similar high frequency sound on acceleration. I added it to a service appointment for this Friday to adjust door to charger. I hadn’t thought much of it until reading your post. Thank you.

There is no way to adjust the charge port door without removing same along with lots of interior parts. Good chance they will break things since the SM does not show how to remove side bolster correctly.

Unless you are in a Tesla Desert and have had excellent service on a MS, stay the hell away and fix it yourself by adding shims on the charge port face where the door bumpers contact.

With the MS and MX less than 4% of sales, truly,

The best service is no service

Reactions: bobusn and AAKEE
Glad to get this warning.
The gap hardly even bothers me.
I thought it would be easy adjustment.
Here is photo:

Attachments

• 3E608009-3406-4D36-881B-61F29DDDFD52.jpeg
    3E608009-3406-4D36-881B-61F29DDDFD52.jpeg
    579.4 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: AAKEE
There is no way to adjust the charge port door without removing same along with lots of interior parts. Good chance they will break things since the SM does not show how to remove side bolster correctly.

Unless you are in a Tesla Desert and have had excellent service on a MS, stay the hell away and fix it yourself by adding shims on the charge port face where the door bumpers contact.

With the MS and MX less than 4% of sales, truly,

The best service is no service
Both door handles on passenger side stick, enough that it feels as though door is locked.

Is that a fix Philadelphia SC can tackle correctly, or is it just better to “leave well enough alone”

Door opens fine and maybe it will loosen over time?

Both door handles on passenger side stick, enough that it feels as though door is locked.

Is that a fix Philadelphia SC can tackle correctly, or is it just better to “leave well enough alone”

Door opens fine and maybe it will loosen over time?

I would look at the service manual and see how much surgery is required.

My guess is not much work , just remove the door
interior "cards" and readjust the handle.

If you get Mobile to do it, you can keep an eye on them when they break clips and lose tools. Offer a second hand to align the handle as the Tech tightens the screws.

Popsicle sticks are handy for maintaining an even gap.

Reactions: Mayer
Hmm, I suspect I'm going to be chasing Tesla for this.

I presume you haven't gotten an FSD build yet as it's a HW4 vehicle? Wonder if we'll get FSD before the 3 month trial runs out.
I bought a December 2016 Model S with FSD. I had to wait 6 years to get my first FSD update on 12/18/22. I just bought a 2023 Model S on July 31st. Considering me waiting 6 years to get my first FSD update on my 2016 Model S, I think the 3 month FSD will expire before Tesla gives us a FSD build for Hardware 4.0. I hope I am wrong.

You do have FSD, beta is what you were expecting and that was not what the trial was for.
I continue to read about FSD versus FSD beta, they are both the same thing. If you look at the Model S on Tesla's website (click order), you will see that Basic Auto Pilot is standard on the Model S. Enhanced Auto Pilot for $6,000 includes:
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • Smart Summon
Full Self Driving costs $15,000 and includes:
  • All functionality of Basic Autopilot and Enhanced Autopilot
  • Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

Coming Soon​

• Autosteer on city streets
As I said, there is no difference between FSD and FSD Beta. I currently have FSD on my 2016 Model S and am transferring it to my 2023 Model S that I just ordered. I used my referral code to get $1,000 off and 3 months of FSD. I waited 6 years to get the FSD firmware update. I doubt that Tesla will have a firmware update that will give me FSD before my 3 months of free FSD expire.
You do have FSD, beta is what you were expecting and that was not what the trial was for.

As I said, there is no difference between FSD and FSD Beta.
Yes, there is.

This is what FSD currently is:

Full Self Driving costs $15,000 and includes:
  • All functionality of Basic Autopilot and Enhanced Autopilot
  • Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

This is what FSD Beta adds:

Coming Soon​

• Autosteer on city streets
(Once it is out of beta it will be moved into the main FSD.)

Yes, there is.

This is what FSD currently is:

This is what FSD Beta adds:

(Once it is out of beta it will be moved into the main FSD.)
I have FSD Beta on my Model S and it navigates on city streets and highways. From my house, I can use a voice command to navigate to a place that requires driving on city streets, interstate highways, and then again on city streets to reach where I told the Model S to take me. The only thing I agree with you on is that when Tesla completes FSD Beta, it will become FSD. Tesla will take the last FSD Beta firmware update and rename that firmware update to FSD.

Since I currently have FSD Beta and that will become FSD, please explain to me what is the difference between FSD Beta and FSD other that FSD will not be Beta code.

Tesla is giving 3 months of FSD (Beta) as a trial so that people will want to spend $15,000 to buy Full Self Driving.

A question for you, do you have FSD beta on your Tesla?

Last edited:
Since I currently have FSD Beta and that will become FSD, please explain to me what is the difference between FSD Beta and FSD other that FSD will not be Beta code.

FSD is the production software that every Tesla can run. FSD Beta is the optional pre-release version that you can opt-in to. But FSD Beta isn't currently available to most cars with the HW4 computer.

A question for you, do you have FSD beta on your Tesla?
Yes. But I have a HW3 vehicle, and got into the FSD Beta back when you had to qualify for it via a Safety Score. (I'm on the 11.4.6 version, that has only had a small roll out.)

Reactions: cwanja
FSD is the production software that every Tesla can run. FSD Beta is the optional pre-release version that you can opt-in to. But FSD Beta isn't currently available to most cars with the HW4 computer.

Yes. But I have a HW3 vehicle, and got into the FSD Beta back when you had to qualify for it via a Safety Score. (I'm on the 11.4.6 version, that has only had a small roll out.)
I agree that FSD is the production software that everyone can run, but since we are in FSD Beta, FSD production software is not available at this time. Every Tesla owner needs to have compatible hardware to run FSD Beta and later FSD. I believe I paid $7,000 in 2016 to purchase Full Self Driving for my Model S. I paid to upgrade from Hardware 2 to Hardware 3 and Tesla replace my cameras before I could get access to the FSD Beta firmware.

I ordered a 2023 Model S on July 31st and it will have hardware 4.0. At this time, there is not a FSD Beta firmware that will give me FSD (Beta) capabilities. I used my referral code to get $1,000 off and although I can transfer my current FSD purchase to my new Model S, the referral comes with 3 months of FSD. If I had not purchased FSD prior to purchasing the 2023 Model S, I would get 3 months of FSD Beta. Since my new Model S will have hardware 4.0, I believe that the 3 months of free FSD Beta will expire before Tesla completes firmware that supports FSD Beta or FSD if Tesla completes FSD Beta. I am currently on 11.4.4. I have not been able to update to the later 2 releases.

You say that FSD Beta is optional pre-release software but as you know, you cannot opt-in unless you have previously paid to buy FSD and have the hardware to support it.

As of today, we only have FSD Beta and no one can install FSD production because FSD has not completed Beta.

I think we have spent enough time discussing this. I wish you the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne
I agree that FSD is the production software that everyone can run, but since we are in FSD Beta, FSD production software is not available at this time. Every Tesla owner needs to have compatible hardware to run FSD Beta and later FSD. I believe I paid $7,000 in 2016 to purchase Full Self Driving for my Model S. I paid to upgrade from Hardware 2 to Hardware 3 and Tesla replace my cameras before I could get access to the FSD Beta firmware.

I ordered a 2023 Model S on July 31st and it will have hardware 4.0. At this time, there is not a FSD Beta firmware that will give me FSD (Beta) capabilities. I used my referral code to get $1,000 off and although I can transfer my current FSD purchase to my new Model S, the referral comes with 3 months of FSD. If I had not purchased FSD prior to purchasing the 2023 Model S, I would get 3 months of FSD Beta. Since my new Model S will have hardware 4.0, I believe that the 3 months of free FSD Beta will expire before Tesla completes firmware that supports FSD Beta or FSD if Tesla completes FSD Beta. I am currently on 11.4.4. I have not been able to update to the later 2 releases.

You say that FSD Beta is optional pre-release software but as you know, you cannot opt-in unless you have previously paid to buy FSD and have the hardware to support it.

As of today, we only have FSD Beta and no one can install FSD production because FSD has not completed Beta.

I think we have spent enough time discussing this. I wish you the best!
I think you have a wrong understanding of this FSD business, nobody gets 3 months of FSD beta. You get “production” FSD, then you subscribe to beta if that’s an option

Reactions: MP3Mike
I agree that FSD is the production software that everyone can run, but since we are in FSD Beta, FSD production software is not available at this time...
I think this is your fundamental misunderstanding. FSD Production software is in fact available at this time. As you noted above, FSD Production gives you

1) Everything that Enhanced Autopilot gives you
PLUS
2) Traffic Light Control

I have a HW4 Model S, and I have purchased Enhanced Autopilot. Normally, this would not give me access to Traffic Light Control. However, I am getting 3 months of Traffic Light Control since I have 3 months of Free FSD.

If I had not purchased Enhanced Autopilot....I would also be getting Enhanced Autopilot "for free" for these three months.

So....3 months of FSD on a HW4 vehicle that already has Enhanced Auto Pilot isn't worth all that much. However, the point is, there is in fact a production FSD, and that is all we are entitled to for the 3 month free perk.

I think this is your fundamental misunderstanding. FSD Production software is in fact available at this time. As you noted above, FSD Production gives you

1) Everything that Enhanced Autopilot gives you
PLUS
2) Traffic Light Control

I have a HW4 Model S, and I have purchased Enhanced Autopilot. Normally, this would not give me access to Traffic Light Control. However, I am getting 3 months of Traffic Light Control since I have 3 months of Free FSD.

If I had not purchased Enhanced Autopilot....I would also be getting Enhanced Autopilot "for free" for these three months.

So....3 months of FSD on a HW4 vehicle that already has Enhanced Auto Pilot isn't worth all that much. However, the point is, there is in fact a production FSD, and that is all we are entitled to for the 3 month free perk.
Joey D, I believe that Tesla is playing word games. If I had saved earlier screen shots of Tesla describing Full Self Driving (FSD), it would have shown that FSD includes the ability to drive on city streets. To me, without the ability to drive on city streets, you do not have Full Self Driving.

I thank you and MP3Mike for you replies on FSD vs FSD Beta.

Reactions: Joey D
Joey D, I believe that Tesla is playing word games. If I had saved earlier screen shots of Tesla describing Full Self Driving (FSD), it would have shown that FSD includes the ability to drive on city streets. To me, without the ability to drive on city streets, you do not have Full Self Driving.

I thank you and MP3Mike for you replies on FSD vs FSD Beta.
I understand what you are saying....the naming conventions that Tesla uses (especially with respect to FSD / FSD Beta) leads to confusion...intentional or not. It is unfortunate.

That being said, I don't recall Tesla ever claiming FSD (non beta) supported driving on city streets other than perpetually saying "it's coming soon." I agree with you that without Driving on City Streets..."FSD" is of very little benefit over Enhanced Auto pilot. However, if your car does not have Enhanced Auto Pilot, the 3 free months of FSD does of course include that, so for those customers it is a good way to evaluate whether or not Enhanced Auto Pilot is worth it.

I am hoping that by year end (once Cyber Truck and presumably Model 3 Highland) are shipping, then FSD Beta will be made available for HW4. That is mere hope...though since every new vehicle being produced will be on HW4, the pressure will be on Tesla to deliver support.