Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new black alcantara looks sweet inside.

Wish they had a black cloth headliner option. I didn't buy either of the Alcantara headliner options because I just don't like the suede look on the headliner. But slightly disappointed with the tan look of the cloth headliner and my grey interior. It particularly looks odd on the B pillar. Other than the headliner I really like the contrast with the grey and the black.

0FzfzUh.jpg

Wish they had a black cloth headliner option. I didn't buy either of the Alcantara headliner options because I just don't like the suede look on the headliner. But slightly disappointed with the tan look of the cloth headliner and my grey interior. It particularly looks odd on the B pillar. Other than the headliner I really like the contrast with the grey and the black.

View attachment 60412

I was in the same boat but ended up getting the black headliner. I like it better than tan but I'm not a big fan of suede. I picked up my 85 on Sunday.

Interesting that they already put the front plate mount on the nose cone. Did they ask before they did that or did they just do it. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do with mine.

Apologies for the delay. They did ask before they mounted it, it was installed while we completed paperwork/went through the orientation. If I had it to do over again, I would probably look at other options before having them install it, but we are from Milwaukee and the nearest Tesla dealership is Chicago, so driving all the way to Chicago just for a front plate bracket didn't make sense.

I assume you weren't headed to San Antonio, so it should be 75 through most of your trip right? I thought that Texas was also pretty flat... So you should* be ok with going 75 and getting pretty close to the range, unless you were blasting the AC? Depending on how far you are going, I tend to give myself about a 30 mile buffer (unless traveling up mountains) and watch it closely. If it drops down to 10 miles of a buffer (and I am not pretty close to my destination (sub 30 miles left to go) then I would drop my speed by 5-10MPH and that would more than compensate for it. That is just me, and what I felt comfortable with, and note that going from VA to FL I never actually breached by 10 mile buffer limit.

I have learned that a lot of this comes down to driving habits and learning to drive the car in a more efficient manner. Cruise control is your friend! Acceleration should attempt to be limited to under 40kW as much as possible. Attempt to only use regen and use the breaks as little as possible. Also the more you coast vice regen the better range you will get. If you set your AC to LO, you will eat a big hit in your range... Just more subtle temperature like 68-72 should be comfortable (for most people) and will help a lot with not killing range. In the winter try to limit your use of the heater as much as possible and use the seat warmers. If you do most of these things you will find yourself hitting and even exceeding the rated range all the time.

My current lifetime average is 311w/mi if you take away the first 2000 miles of driving I did I am at 305w/mi. What keeps me from being sub 300 is that my daily commute is quite hilly. I get to work most days in the 320w/mi range, and then try to get it lowered back down to as close to 300 on the way home. This is with me going 70-75MPH, with 2 or 3 other passengers.

I was off about 10-15%, the way I figured. There is actually about a 3,000 ft. elevation difference from Austin (500 ft.) and Lubbock (3,200 ft.) so I'm sure that accounted for some of the loss. I drive like a grandma and the weather was mild, AC was about 70, so I doubt either of those had much impact. I think I ended up about 330 w/mi on the trip. I'll be interested to see what that ends up being over my normal daily commute.

Woohoo! On Monday, the status for my MS in My Tesla changed from 'In the production queue' to 'The Tesla factory is building your Model S'. I sent an email to my DS (who had said the week before that it was looking good for entering production on 10/6) saying his forecast was spot on. Yesterday he wrote back that it had already passed out of the preliminary production stages and was in the paint phase. I wrote back asking how long paint would take. Today he wrote back saying it was already out of paint and had moved onto General Assembly. Last week he had said it seemed to be taking about a week for Tesla to build a car. They seem to be making good time, and it seems like a delivery date of 10/15 is possible. That would be two weeks ahead of the originally scheduled date. Here are some photos he sent me (I'm sure these aren't just stock photos; I bet he flew out to CA just to take pictures of MY Model S. :))

tesla-assembly-line.png
tesla-assembly-line-2.png

Talked to my DS today, was given option of updating the car. Upgraded the tech package to the new one and ended up saving 500$, since i had paid for parking and fog lamps. But delivery has been pushed back about two weeks. Production will begin the first or second of December instead of the 17th of November. Really sucks but I cant do much about it at this point. Scheduled delivery is now Dec 17th.:crying:

My MS arrives tomorrow! Finally! Actually, it's about ten days earlier than the estimate they gave me when I ordered it. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

My DS said that the autopilot hardware will be included, but he wasn't sure if the software was ready yet. Has anyone heard if they're actually providing that yet?

Glenhurst,
I was at a service center last week and they showed me the equipment for the autopilot features on a recently-received demo car. At the present time, the service center/sales car is restricted to drifting-out-of-lane warnings and speed adjustments based upon reading speed limit signs, if I remember correctly. All the cool features shown during the October 9 event will come, but I presume there's a legality issue at the moment that needs to be addressed. The good news is that you have the equipment and your car will grow in capabilities as the new features get approved for use on the open road. Congrats!
BTW, I've owned my MS for 25,000 miles so far and I still often feel like a kid on Christmas Day when I get into it.

My MS arrives tomorrow! Finally! Actually, it's about ten days earlier than the estimate they gave me when I ordered it. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

My DS said that the autopilot hardware will be included, but he wasn't sure if the software was ready yet. Has anyone heard if they're actually providing that yet?

Glenhurst,
I was at a service center last week and they showed me the equipment for the autopilot features on a recently-received demo car. At the present time, the service center/sales car is restricted to drifting-out-of-lane warnings and speed adjustments based upon reading speed limit signs, if I remember correctly. All the cool features shown during the October 9 event will come, but I presume there's a legality issue at the moment that needs to be addressed. The good news is that you have the equipment and your car will grow in capabilities as the new features get approved for use on the open road. Congrats!
BTW, I've owned my MS for 25,000 miles so far and I still often feel like a kid on Christmas Day when I get into it.

Papafox,
My MS has the autopilot hardware, but, just as you saw, the software currently only supports the "safety" features of vibrating the steering wheel if the car goes over the sidelines, and it reads the speed limit signs and indicates if your speed is over what the sign says. The latter is pretty nifty but not perfect: Today, as I let my son drive the car for the first time, the MS picked up the much lower speed limit sign on a frontage road running parallel to the highway we were on, and suddenly it thought we were about 30mph over the limit. :)

When we picked the car up from Tesla, the DS said the additional autopilot features, such as hands-free, etc., might require an "upgrade" to the tune of about $500. To be fair, the tech package has gone up by $500; I paid $3750 for it and now it's going for $4250. The DS said the option should be available in a couple of months.

Oh, and the car is delightful! I've been showing it off to various relatives for the past couple days. I strongly suspect my brother-in-law will buy one within the next year, so impressed was he.

Papafox,
.....To be fair, the tech package has gone up by $500; I paid $3750 for it and now it's going for $4250.....

Tech Package pricing went up because the parking sensors ($500) option got rolled into the tech package, giving you many more sensors, as well as the fog lights. So, if your price went up by $500, then that means you hadn't ordered Parking sensors? I'm guessing that's a $500 option you are happy to have been forced into....