Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry this happened. You were quite accommodating. Tesla should've fixed your issue the first time without causing further problems.

Check and see if a replacement car is still an option. I would go with a new one if that was possible.
Thanks. The SA told me yesterday if a buyback was pursued that the FSD transfer portion may be not something they can refund. FYI, I purchased FSD on my Model 3 the night before I took delivery of the Plaid. I then sold the M3. I would be out $6k if this wasn't covered either via a refund or through a transfer to another order. I'm truly disappointed at this whole experience.

It's unfortunate and the way they handle issues is abysmal. For a car transaction you need to make sure your customer is supper happy on the day the car is bought. (this is true for any sale but car is one of the most expensive) If things go bad, you need to make sure they are fixed and go beyond and above. Instead of that taking away a given is unacceptable.

At this point, I inquired about a buyback....but I walked back that request this morning and asked for a collateral exchange (replacement). I
I don't think I have ever heard of Tesla doing a collateral exchange. (Most banks won't allow it on their loans.)

Thanks. The SA told me yesterday if a buyback was pursued that the FSD transfer portion may be not something they can refund. FYI, I purchased FSD on my Model 3 the night before I took delivery of the Plaid. I then sold the M3. I would be out $6k if this wasn't covered either via a refund or through a transfer to another order. I'm truly disappointed at this whole experience.
Wouldn't you really be out $12k? (As the base EAP is gone now.) This is certainly the biggest potential issue with the FSD, and FUSC, transfer options, as they make it very clear that if you unwind the sale for any reason that the FSD/FUSC is gone for good.

Reactions: Faksnima
I don't think I have ever heard of Tesla doing a collateral exchange. (Most banks won't allow it on their loans.)

Wouldn't you really be out $12k? (As the base EAP is gone now.) This is certainly the biggest potential issue with the FSD, and FUSC, transfer options, as they make it very clear that if you unwind the sale for any reason that the FSD/FUSC is gone for good.
I’m not counting EAP since I would’ve lost that regardless. But the FSD purchase was made as an intentional part of the overall transaction. I wouldn’t have purchased if otherwise.

You’re right. I may be SoL and just have to go through the headache of them fixing one thing while breaking three.

Updating.

The car was delivered on 9/22. Since then I've had a headache on my hands. There were some interior trim pieces that Tesla replaced, but the primary issue has been the fender.

The car had 15 miles upon pick up. I drove it home and then back to the SC which is less than a 3 mile round trip. It was dropped off about a week after delivery and has been under service since.

The first attempt to fix the fender involved them driving it 11 miles to a local, approved body shop....knowing that I'm avoiding any wear because I wanted to PPF the car. That's fine, though....no harm, no foul. The body shop says they need to do paint work to the fender. I was told upon delivery that it would likely not be the case...that wet sanding and buffing is all that's needed. We go back and forth and I agree to the work but the work would be completed at a Tesla Collision Center.

Tesla finishes the job on the car and I go to pick it up last Monday. The fender looks better but there are portions where there is still excess paint (I was told I didn't point it out to them...I in fact did) but it is also misaligned. During this time I also point out a few scratches on the bottom of the bumper - nothing major and they are largely unseen. They said they would tow it back to the body shop.

A few days later with no response, I followed up. I was informed that they were having the lead tech from the body shop come out to investigate to see if they could remedy it would out towing it back there. I was then told they were able to wet sand the issue with the fender but are replacing the front bumper. I told them I was concerned about the color matching and they assured me it would be fine....ok then.

So I go to pick up yesterday....
Plaid Badge removed from the trunk
Bumper color doesn't match
Fender is better! But still misaligned
Rocker panel not attached right - paint is cracked
Driver door paint damage

At this point, I inquired about a buyback....but I walked back that request this morning and asked for a collateral exchange (replacement). I'd be fine if they just fixed what they were supposed to fix. They assured me they would do a quality check each time....but I'm obviously not a priority. I was expecting some hiccups as this isn't my first rodeo but this is pretty piss poor.

Am I out of line?
Ask for a new car. Let them deal with this one

Updating.

The car was delivered on 9/22. Since then I've had a headache on my hands. There were some interior trim pieces that Tesla replaced, but the primary issue has been the fender.

The car had 15 miles upon pick up. I drove it home and then back to the SC which is less than a 3 mile round trip. It was dropped off about a week after delivery and has been under service since.

The first attempt to fix the fender involved them driving it 11 miles to a local, approved body shop....knowing that I'm avoiding any wear because I wanted to PPF the car. That's fine, though....no harm, no foul. The body shop says they need to do paint work to the fender. I was told upon delivery that it would likely not be the case...that wet sanding and buffing is all that's needed. We go back and forth and I agree to the work but the work would be completed at a Tesla Collision Center.

Tesla finishes the job on the car and I go to pick it up last Monday. The fender looks better but there are portions where there is still excess paint (I was told I didn't point it out to them...I in fact did) but it is also misaligned. During this time I also point out a few scratches on the bottom of the bumper - nothing major and they are largely unseen. They said they would tow it back to the body shop.

A few days later with no response, I followed up. I was informed that they were having the lead tech from the body shop come out to investigate to see if they could remedy it would out towing it back there. I was then told they were able to wet sand the issue with the fender but are replacing the front bumper. I told them I was concerned about the color matching and they assured me it would be fine....ok then.

Driver door paint damage

At this point, I inquired about a buyback....but I walked back that request this morning and asked for a collateral exchange (replacement). I'd be fine if they just fixed what they were supposed to fix. They assured me they would do a quality check each time....but I'm obviously not a priority. I was expecting some hiccups as this isn't my first rodeo but this is pretty piss poor.

Am I out of line?
Run away... I LOVE my car(21 early build refresh)... ALL of my trouble could have been solved easily and i should have done an exchange in hindsight. while not the same a similar experience: Stay on top of it NOW... don't wait
1. within a week, driver door fell off(yes, the bolts could not be seated b/c of panel bond in the bolt holes) - required 1 month in body shop for bent fender and door.
2. Replaced rear bumper, because of misalignment and scratches on panel gap... paint matched, worked out, but in the shop for another week
3. Various problems with the TIRES... yes, tire issues that were misdiagnosed over a year of back and forth on who was at fault for damage to wheels etc... was all because the foam in the tires had seperated and caused a vibration. not a tesla thing but not great at diagnosis and management....

I inquired about lemon law, attempted to contact the GM of the service center, reached out to legal/arbitration... all for nothing and am now out of lemon window.... SOOO, car is great, once the service center got into it, things went south, I know what i am getting into now, so am trading up to a 23/24 Plaid and hoping the initial build quality is better and if not will reject in a heartbeat and not let the service center touch it.

Updating.

Driver door paint damage

Am I out of line?
What color was the car?
If its a metallic color, it won't always match from the factory. this is the reason im leaning towards black vs stealth grey.

Run away... I LOVE my car(21 early build refresh)... ALL of my trouble could have been solved easily and i should have done an exchange in hindsight. while not the same a similar experience: Stay on top of it NOW... don't wait
1. within a week, driver door fell off(yes, the bolts could not be seated b/c of panel bond in the bolt holes) - required 1 month in body shop for bent fender and door.
2. Replaced rear bumper, because of misalignment and scratches on panel gap... paint matched, worked out, but in the shop for another week
3. Various problems with the TIRES... yes, tire issues that were misdiagnosed over a year of back and forth on who was at fault for damage to wheels etc... was all because the foam in the tires had seperated and caused a vibration. not a tesla thing but not great at diagnosis and management....

I inquired about lemon law, attempted to contact the GM of the service center, reached out to legal/arbitration... all for nothing and am now out of lemon window.... SOOO, car is great, once the service center got into it, things went south, I know what i am getting into now, so am trading up to a 23/24 Plaid and hoping the initial build quality is better and if not will reject in a heartbeat and not let the service center touch it.
Also you opt out of arbitration. Will be opting out on my next Tesla. I got lucky and they bought my old car back.

Just picked up my MSLR and traded in my much-abused 2014 MS85. I figure I'll post a positive review, to balance the tendency for any forum to accumulate only the negative experiences.

Arrived at SC ontime. Unfortunately, it was the Roswell GA SC, a 50 minute drive, even though I live 5 minutes from the Decatur GA SC and 10 minutes from the Briarcliff ATL SC. Contrary to what is implied on the app, I never was given a choice of delivery locations. That's really the only (very minor) gripe. Met by SA after a 5 minute wait. He took the trade-in with no questions even after I disclosed that the front right door handle had stopped presenting four days ago. Helped me pull the license and factory reset. Signed the paperwork and the new car was pulled around and shined up.

I did not do the hour-long detailed delivery checklist found online. But a quick walkaround showed no obvious paint flaws (though I am NOT that detail oriented) and panel gaps are decent (enormously better than the 2014 MS!). Everything I've done so far has worked--profile setup, Bluetooth, HomeLink, streaming media, etc. The Autopilot cameras calibrated during the first 20 minutes of the drive home and from there CC and AP worked as expected.

I'm less unhappy than I thought I'd be about stalkless design. Main objections are the usual--why aren't the L/R turn signal buttons arrayed left-right, rather than up-down, and of course the tiny horn button. Car feels tight (compared to my 140,000 mil MS, of course), haven't done full throttle accel yet. Cameras and screens a big upgrade. It's a 2023--has the Ambient Light controls present but no button to touch. But worth it for me in order to be sure to get the free supercharging.

Just picked up my MSLR and traded in my much-abused 2014 MS85. I figure I'll post a positive review, to balance the tendency for any forum to accumulate only the negative experiences.

Arrived at SC ontime. Unfortunately, it was the Roswell GA SC, a 50 minute drive, even though I live 5 minutes from the Decatur GA SC and 10 minutes from the Briarcliff ATL SC. Contrary to what is implied on the app, I never was given a choice of delivery locations. That's really the only (very minor) gripe. Met by SA after a 5 minute wait. He took the trade-in with no questions even after I disclosed that the front right door handle had stopped presenting four days ago. Helped me pull the license and factory reset. Signed the paperwork and the new car was pulled around and shined up.

I did not do the hour-long detailed delivery checklist found online. But a quick walkaround showed no obvious paint flaws (though I am NOT that detail oriented) and panel gaps are decent (enormously better than the 2014 MS!). Everything I've done so far has worked--profile setup, Bluetooth, HomeLink, streaming media, etc. The Autopilot cameras calibrated during the first 20 minutes of the drive home and from there CC and AP worked as expected.

I'm less unhappy than I thought I'd be about stalkless design. Main objections are the usual--why aren't the L/R turn signal buttons arrayed left-right, rather than up-down, and of course the tiny horn button. Car feels tight (compared to my 140,000 mil MS, of course), haven't done full throttle accel yet. Cameras and screens a big upgrade. It's a 2023--has the Ambient Light controls present but no button to touch. But worth it for me in order to be sure to get the free supercharging.
Please don't get me wrong. I felt that my issue was relatively minor and could be handled with a little sand and polish. It's not the car that had a ton of issues - many of which were me nitpicking at creases (although it should come pretty flawless from the factory). It's the way the SC handled the whole thing. What was a minor issue now will likely require a front fascia repaint and several more weeks of waiting for a car that was $108k after FSD transfer, tax, license, registration, etc....That's too much money to settle for abysmal service. I truly hope they end up doing right.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot

Happy to hear a positive review and pick-up experience! I was having doubts after reading so much negativity on both Reddit and TMC - still no delivery date scheduled, just a window from mid-Nov to mid-Dec for a Blue MSLR.

Curious about the Ambient Light controls - I thought this was not introduced in the MS quite yet?

I am thinking of ordering MS LR and I want the 21 inch wheels but I heard about those tire issues getting worn out fast. Are those issues resolved?
21" look better
19" more range, more performance, less expensive, less chance of damaging the rims

If you like 21" don't pay $4000 for Tesla factory rims. for that much money you should be able to buy a very nice set of forged wheels.