Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes you have to go backwards a bit to go forwards. Tesla are effectively changing the wheels on the bus as they're driving down the road (the DevOps model of motor vehicle manufacturing/development), so sometimes the changes seem counter-intuitive. They're also pretty reserved when it comes to providing information, whether that be because they're clueless or maybe because they are in the middle of some of those backwards steps. It's very annoying to all of us but at the same time, what other auto manufacturers are constantly evolving their current models on the street.
Seems more like devolving, all one has to do is go from a car that had USS to one without. It’s been several months and money updates, it’s mind numbingly stupid

Are you counting on free Supercharging transfer? If not and you really want a 2024, might just have to lose the $250 deposit and start over. But a 2024 that's identical to a 2023 is really of no benefit. I would wait until the camera comes out if that's what you really want.
This is my first Tesla and EV. I'll probably go ahead if the build quality is good and everything passes on my checklist.

It would be nice to have the front camera and the other minor updates but not a deal breaker for me. I'm more worried about the price increase. I suspect there will be better deals on the inventory models mid December / End Q4 to make it up for Q3 sales. Although I could be completely wrong.

Reactions: aerodyne and dsm363
Seems more like devolving, all one has to do is go from a car that had USS to one without. It’s been several months and money updates, it’s mind numbingly stupid
100% agree. I hope things clear up for us soon. My order went in on 11/2 for a DBM MSP. I've absolutely loved my 2016 P90DL and really hoping to stay on the Tesla journey. I have to say that there are some very interesting alternatives piquing my interest in the next few years. Access to the SC network is going to be the game changer for the next 5 to 10 years for any non Tesla brand EV to be successful (among many other things). Lucid's Gravity looks really special. I hope they get their business model together.

Yeah. And they will never fully replace ultrasound because there are blindspots in the cameras and single cameras can't judge depth accurately for unknown objects.

Picked up my MSP white on white, 21” arachnids with steering wheel yesterday afternoon at the Camarillo, Ca location. She is a beauty and my forth Tesla.
For all the bitching that goes on in here I wanted to be one of the few who actually had a wonderful experience with delivery. Nicest people ever at Camarillo. No crowd, no rushing through delivery. Let us inspect every nook and cranny of the vehicle before handing over my 2018 MS100d. I will miss her, she was very good to me, but damn this plaid is just a sexy beast!!
Ordered 10/27, picked up Nov 17th! And yes, she is a 2023 but I don’t care. I went for the buy because of the FUSC and the price. 🥂 Cheers to all the new owners!
I got my VIN assigned today and its a 2023 :(. Placed the order on 10/22.

I'm trying to figure out the factory gate date. The method posted on this thread works on inventory but doesn't work on my custom order. Any here able to figure that out yet?

Also it asks me to review and accept terms which basically say car isn't equipped with USS and relies solely on cameras. Some features like summon etc. including FSD might not work.

How long can I hold off to accept these terms? I want to delay the delivery until mid December if possible.

This is my first Tesla and EV. I'll probably go ahead if the build quality is good and everything passes on my checklist.

It would be nice to have the front camera and the other minor updates but not a deal breaker for me. I'm more worried about the price increase. I suspect there will be better deals on the inventory models mid December / End Q4 to make it up for Q3 sales. Although I could be completely wrong.
I don't think the price increase would be drastic if they add front camera but you're right, you never know. Could go up by a few thousand. I think a totally new car is in the next year or two but again, no one really knows.

If they haven't assigned a VIN and you're willing to lose the initial deposit, maybe place a new order and take your chances. Will likely get built late December for same price and small chance you might get the camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: cg_11
Picked up my MSP white on white, 21” arachnids with steering wheel yesterday afternoon at the Camarillo, Ca location. She is a beauty and my forth Tesla.
For all the bitching that goes on in here I wanted to be one of the few who actually had a wonderful experience with delivery. Nicest people ever at Camarillo. No crowd, no rushing through delivery. Let us inspect every nook and cranny of the vehicle before handing over my 2018 MS100d. I will miss her, she was very good to me, but damn this plaid is just a sexy beast!!
Ordered 10/27, picked up Nov 17th! And yes, she is a 2023 but I don’t care. I went for the buy because of the FUSC and the price. 🥂 Cheers to all the new owners!
I'm replacing a 2012 so will be strange to give up a VIN with 2 numbers in it. But maybe it's time. Congrats on new car.

I got my car delivered by truck in a parking lot near my house with another car and my key fob was in a clear plastic bag with blue duct tape and my VIN on it. Classy!😊

I’m thinking around Feb March. That’s when the other upgrades happened. Thinner bezel screen.
My hope is somehow the wiring harness is there now waiting for parts and Tesla will sell a retrofit (even for a lot of money) but very doubtful that's the case.

I seriously don't see why Tesla can't throw Signature owners a bone and extend the Supercharging transfer window out to March. There can't be more than a few dozen original owners still driving around their Model S.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I'm replacing a 2012 so will be strange to give up a VIN with 2 numbers in it. But maybe it's time. Congrats on new car.

I got my car delivered by truck in a parking lot near my house with another car and my key fob was in a clear plastic bag with blue duct tape and my VIN on it. Classy!😊
You’re “replacing” your 2012? How much are you getting for it? I’m keeping my 2015 85D as I was offered only $2800 as a trade-in and only $4318 from Carvana. I

Picking up my new car tomorrow.

By the way, if you haven’t done a price comparison between your current insurance and Tesla insurance, do it now. The quote from my current insurer for my newcMSLR was $4800/yr. I’m going with Tesla insurance for $1800/yr.

Reactions: coder and dsm363
My hope is somehow the wiring harness is there now waiting for parts and Tesla will sell a retrofit (even for a lot of money) but very doubtful that's the case.

I seriously don't see why Tesla can't throw Signature owners a bone and extend the Supercharging transfer window out to March. There can't be more than a few dozen original owners still driving around their Model S.
The thing is, even if they extended the window to March there would be some other new thing right around the corner. There’s always going to be something we wished we’d waited for, but we’ll never buy anything (until the old one is literally unrepairable) if we keep pushing it off for FOMO.

Personally, I think the transfer of FUSC is a pretty nice bone. I was definitely not planning on purchasing a new S this year and was really looking forward to hitting 250,000 miles on my 85D about five months from now, but with the FUSC transfer they made me an offer I could not refuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird and dsm363
The thing is, even if they extended the window to March there would be some other new thing right around the corner. There’s always going to be something we wished we’d waited for, but we’ll never buy anything (until the old one is literally unrepairable) if we keep pushing it off for FOMO.

Personally, I think the transfer of FUSC is a pretty nice bone. I was definitely not planning on purchasing a new S this year and was really looking forward to hitting 250,000 miles on my 85D about five months from now, but with the FUSC transfer they made me an offer I could not refuse.
It is a nice perk but not just for Signature owners. If that initial 1,200 in NA hadn't plunked down a lot of money and waited over 3.5 years (along with the few thousand early reservation owners), the company wouldn't exist. They could always limit it to 2012 deliveries and say accept order anytime in 2024. But I know they want to bump end of quarter numbers.

I wasn't planning on updating either as I love my car but figured the price might go up and this offer might not happen again soon. You're right, something is always around the corner but it sounds like this front bumper camera is happening in the next few weeks even. Just a rumor though.

You’re “replacing” your 2012? How much are you getting for it? I’m keeping my 2015 85D as I was offered only $2800 as a trade-in and only $4318 from Carvana. I

By the way, if you haven’t done a price comparison between your current insurance and Tesla insurance, do it now. The quote from my current insurer for my newcMSLR was $4800/yr. I’m going with Tesla insurance for $1800/yr.
Private sale so $11,000 and that's with some damage on it from parking lot issue. Car was in perfect shape for over 11 years and then right before I decide to upgrade, that happened knocking off a few thousand in value. Oh well.

I'll ask about the insurance. Good idea.

Private sale so $11,000 and that's with some damage on it from parking lot issue. Car was in perfect shape for over 11 years and then right before I decide to upgrade, that happened knocking off a few thousand in value. Oh well.

I'll ask about the insurance. Good idea.
For some of us, the Tesla insurance is a better deal because Tesla knows exactly how we drive. For others among us, that could result in higher rates.

Of course, that means I can’t do 0-60 in 3.1 every time I get on the freeway for the first few weeks (as most of us will be inclined to do until the novelty wears off) for fear of a premium increase.

How many miles on your 2012?

• Helpful
Reactions: chukieboy
It is a nice perk but not just for Signature owners. If that initial 1,200 in NA hadn't plunked down a lot of money and waited over 3.5 years (along with the few thousand early reservation owners), the company wouldn't exist. They could always limit it to 2012 deliveries and say accept order anytime in 2024. But I know they want to bump end of quarter numbers.

I wasn't planning on updating either as I love my car but figured the price might go up and this offer might not happen again soon. You're right, something is always around the corner but it sounds like this front bumper camera is happening in the next few weeks even. Just a rumor though.
Just an opinion…. They would never (should never) have special treatment (offers) for only certain buyers. That will create a hail storm of negativity to anyone inches outside of that window as we have seen with other incentives. Why not 2013, 2014 etc. Furthermore, the continuous speculation on bumper cameras is ill advised. This “speculation“ was internet created as a Possible future concept or the more likely fueled propaganda to create year end FUD to slow year end sales momentum similar to 4680, dual castings, etc, etc seen Every year to get buyers second guessing decisions. When it’s announced by the “company” not internet rumor it’s worthy of speculation. Otherwise it’s wishful thinking and ASsumotion. Again, just my Opinion.

Reactions: AMPd and msm859
Glad you had a good delivery there. I did not. Scratches all over the bumper cover aeroshields and even pack bottom from when they off load the car from the middle of the street.

Yes! Definitely get Tesla insurance! I’m saving thousands as well. We have two Teslas in the family and nobody can come close to the rates Tesla offers. My insurance did go up $46 a month with the new Plaid though. I’m still not going to complain.

Reactions: aerodyne