Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my VIN assigned today and its a 2023 :(. Placed the order on 10/22.

I'm trying to figure out the factory gate date. The method posted on this thread works on inventory but doesn't work on my custom order. Any here able to figure that out yet?

Also it asks me to review and accept terms which basically say car isn't equipped with USS and relies solely on cameras. Some features like summon etc. including FSD might not work.

How long can I hold off to accept these terms? I want to delay the delivery until mid December if possible.

Attachments

• Tesla_review_order.PNG
    Tesla_review_order.PNG
    302.1 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: zoomer0056
So part of the delivery repairs included small scratches on the trunk. I was told they would be buffed out. The SC decided to wet sand the trunk and remove the badge. When I went to pick it up (one of the pick up attempts) they even forgot to put it back on. Yesterday on my third or fourth pickup attempt (I'm losing track), they had it put back on but it's about a quarter inch too low.

Mine is the white car, the gray one is for reference. Probably not the best pic as the gray one looks crooked lol. Mine looks far better in retrospect.
I can see the difference.

Where is this service center located? Did you try going to a different one if you're in a big city?

I'm trying to figure out the factory gate date. The method posted on this thread works on inventory but doesn't work on my custom order. Any here able to figure that out yet?

Also it asks me to review and accept terms which basically say car isn't equipped with USS and relies solely on cameras. Some features like summon etc. including FSD might not work.

How long can I hold off to accept these terms? I want to delay the delivery until mid December if possible.
Bummer. I think you can reject one car without them canceling your order. Maybe get another shot at getting a '24? You could say you'll be out of the country for the next few weeks and can't accept delivery of this car. Please reassign to someone else.

I'm really curious about what Tesla are going to do with this whole USS removal situation. I was watching one of Out of Spec's reviews comparing camera sensors between the HW3 and HW4 models, and what's interesting is on the top of the windshield where the 3 camera array is, the new Model Y was missing the middle camera.

Purely speculative, but I wonder if that's a blank to retrofit a LIDAR module or some other spectrum camera to augment Tesla vision. It really makes no sense to me why you would remove an array of sensors that are not impeded by visual interference (rain, mud, snow, sunlight etc.) and depend solely on something that requires line of sight.

I'm really curious about what Tesla are going to do with this whole USS removal situation. I was watching one of Out of Spec's reviews comparing camera sensors between the HW3 and HW4 models, and what's interesting is on the top of the windshield where the 3 camera array is, the new Model Y was missing the middle camera.

Purely speculative, but I wonder if that's a blank to retrofit a LIDAR module or some other spectrum camera to augment Tesla vision. It really makes no sense to me why you would remove an array of sensors that are not impeded by visual interference (rain, mud, snow, sunlight etc.) and depend solely on something that requires line of sight.
Elon's foolish pride. Doubling down on vision for everything.

Ultrasound wasn't used for self driving, only parking. The previous radar module wasn't very good. But lidar plus new radar would be a big improvement.

Reactions: msm859 and teko

I think the blank is just because they didn't feel like redesigning the trim when moving to a two camera design. The HW3 and earlier had a narrow angle, "standard", and wide angle array. HW4 just has a standard and wide angle. I guess they felt the resolution increase was sufficient to no longer require a dedicated narrow angle camera to resolve details.

In fairness, the quality difference is actually pretty tremendous

1700270116496.png

I am hoping that tesla eventually uses the new highres radar module to do some of what the USS sensors used to do. But I don't have any hopes for this company actually improving any of the automation features.

I think the blank is just because they didn't feel like redesigning the trim when moving to a two camera design. The HW3 and earlier had a narrow angle, "standard", and wide angle array. HW4 just has a standard and wide angle. I guess they felt the resolution increase was sufficient to no longer require a dedicated narrow angle camera to resolve details.

In fairness, the quality difference is actually pretty tremendous

View attachment 991655

I am hoping that tesla eventually uses the new highres radar module to do some of what the USS sensors used to do. But I don't have any hopes for this company actually improving any of the automation features.
Sometimes you have to go backwards a bit to go forwards. Tesla are effectively changing the wheels on the bus as they're driving down the road (the DevOps model of motor vehicle manufacturing/development), so sometimes the changes seem counter-intuitive. They're also pretty reserved when it comes to providing information, whether that be because they're clueless or maybe because they are in the middle of some of those backwards steps. It's very annoying to all of us but at the same time, what other auto manufacturers are constantly evolving their current models on the street.

Are you counting on free Supercharging transfer? If not and you really want a 2024, might just have to lose the $250 deposit and start over. But a 2024 that's identical to a 2023 is really of no benefit. I would wait until the camera comes out if that's what you really want.

It used that once a VIN was assigned you could view source data on the image on your order page.

I'm guessing if it changed it's because everyone would be cancelling their order to get a 24 Car.
What we’re talking about is the manufacturing date, not the model year. The model year is easy to tell from the VIN, so everyone still knows what they’re getting 23’s now.

What we’re talking about is the manufacturing date, not the model year. The model year is easy to tell from the VIN, so everyone still knows what they’re getting 23’s now.

Yes, good point. I guess if the date code is not "P", then it's not a '23.

Seems everyone is getting '23's as of today. But the mfg date is still useful to determine if the car was a reject.

Not everyone knows the date code for the '24. My guess is "R"

It's possible by making the date code difficult to find, Tesla is trying to avoid a lot of cancellations on the '23 cars.

Reactions: zoomer0056