Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Outside of the EPA cycle, I doubt any changes they do make would actually affect your day to day range - most electric cars will fail to reach what are often overoptimistic range estimates anyways. The changes they do make are almost certainly just for the cycle test and won't affect you for better or worse
More efficient tires are one of the few tricks that actually do net real world gains. But more efficient tires also usually (granted not always) means worse traction.

Outside of the EPA cycle, I doubt any changes they do make would actually affect your day to day range - most electric cars will fail to reach what are often overoptimistic range estimates anyways. The changes they do make are almost certainly just for the cycle test and won't affect you for better or worse

My lifetime average on my P85DL was 306 which is less than the 310 rated. My typical long trip wh/mile in the summer keeping it to 70 mph was 270 to 280. When I was really trying to be be careful keeping it to 65 was 255 to 258 wh/mile.

Reactions: aerodyne
My lifetime average on my P85DL was 306 which is less than the 310 rated. My typical long trip wh/mile in the summer keeping it to 70 mph was 270 to 280. When I was really trying to be be careful keeping it to 65 was 255 to 258 wh/mile.
Tesla has resorted to using a few more tricks to pump this efficiency numbers up since your P85 though. Stuff like removing the ability to change regen intensity, mandatory one pedal driving and such.

I think I've posted elsewhere - I was able to meet rated range on our old 70D (which is basically same tech as your P85, just much slower). Anything newer I don't get close.

More efficient tires are one of the few tricks that actually do net real world gains. But more efficient tires also usually (granted not always) means worse traction.

Put the Tesla AS on for the winter over the Tesla PS4S both 21". Saw in increase of 24wh/mi over the last 15k miles. Yes, there is definitely a loss of traction but a reduction in noise.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Tesla has resorted to using a few more tricks to pump this efficiency numbers up since your P85 though. Stuff like removing the ability to change regen intensity, mandatory one pedal driving and such.

I think I've posted elsewhere - I was able to meet rated range on our old 70D (which is basically same tech as your P85, just much slower). Anything newer I don't get close.

Yea, my MXP was also not as good compared to rated. If I was careful, I could get rated vs easily beating it in the P85D.

Even more baffling is the MXLR range dropped a lot but the MXP only dropped a tiny bit so there's only 9 miles of range difference. The only difference between the MXP and the MSP is track mode but since the LRs also have dragstrip mode and the EPA is now testing with that mode on both trims, why didn't the MSLR range drop at all with the same tires.

Starting to wonder if maybe there's a more significant change coming for the MSP that hasn't been announced. Perhaps one that on paper makes it a Sapphire beater.
My last car was equipped with Goodyear eagle F1 Supercar tires from the factory and as a result the manufacturer wouldnt sell that model from November through February to try and avoid the winter months when the tires wouldn't work very well. It sucked at the time, but it wouldn't be something new if Tesla decided to hold back the Plaid models for a couple months all over tires.

I want to believe.....
I suspect it was something more mundane. The Model S Plaid EPA docs started showing up today. Unlike previous years, looks like they uploaded a bunch of docs in mid December, and then uploaded revised docs early January. The certificate of conformity didn't get issued until January 4th. Probably there was some error that had to be corrected.

Now the LR docs aren't showing up yet, but the date they're sent to the EPA and the dates they're publicly available don't correlate perfectly. I wouldn't be surprised if that one didn't require a revision and the certificate of conformity was issued sooner, making it less risky for them to start production with an LR only run.

Tesla really operates like a business that doesn’t want to make sales
Haha i m 100% agree with this statement, all they give a *sugar* about is delivery numbers end of quarter, they dont really care about selling a model X or S = to selling 2 or 3 units of model 3s and Ys in 1 go, only logical assumption is selling 2 units of model 3/Y gives better profit margin than selling 1 model S/X.

I suspect it was something more mundane. The Model S Plaid EPA docs started showing up today. Unlike previous years, looks like they uploaded a bunch of docs in mid December, and then uploaded revised docs early January. The certificate of conformity didn't get issued until January 4th. Probably there was some error that had to be corrected.

Now the LR docs aren't showing up yet, but the date they're sent to the EPA and the dates they're publicly available don't correlate perfectly. I wouldn't be surprised if that one didn't require a revision and the certificate of conformity was issued sooner, making it less risky for them to start production with an LR only run.
Could be the reason the Plaids seem to be on production hold. Might also be the reason LRs haven’t been assigned yet.

Changes to Plaid, it’s the horn with a small possibility of a seat change. Highly doubt they would run a separate dash from the X or do a camera at this time.

Reactions: phantasms
I want to believe.....
I have written here a few weeks ago that the delivery window for a new Plaid order from Europe was very much longer in the case of the Plaid versus the LR. It is still ilke this. I believe there is something happening that is Plaid-specific. Consider the following motivations to do something to improve the Plaid :
- The Model3 Performance is coming and a Tesla insider hinted that it would be better than the outgoing version which easily matches the present Model S in performance.
- Lucid Saphhire
- Porsche Taycan

The leaked photos of the seats.
The complicated process of getting a Track Pack

All in all it looks to me that they are taking the Plaid to a different level of sportiness. BMW and Audi have written the book on how to.
If I were Tesla I would do this:
- MS Plaid+ new king of the road, with all the whistles and bells and a sporty "BMW M" or "Audi S line" feel.
Much more expensive than now, Prestige flagship with low unit sales goal. performance to match or beat new Taycan and Saphhire.
- MS Performance with say 850 HP and totally civilian looks (same as present Plaid)
- MS Long Range : same as now

0-60 could be 2, 2.8 and 3.5 ish...

I have written here a few weeks ago that the delivery window for a new Plaid order from Europe was very much longer in the case of the Plaid versus the LR. It is still ilke this. I believe there is something happening that is Plaid-specific. Consider the following motivations to do something to improve the Plaid :
- The Model3 Performance is coming and a Tesla insider hinted that it would be better than the outgoing version which easily matches the present Model S in performance.
- Lucid Saphhire
- Porsche Taycan

The leaked photos of the seats.
The complicated process of getting a Track Pack

All in all it looks to me that they are taking the Plaid to a different level of sportiness. BMW and Audi have written the book on how to.
If I were Tesla I would do this:
- MS Plaid+ new king of the road, with all the whistles and bells and a sporty "BMW M" or "Audi S line" feel.
Much more expensive than now, Prestige flagship with low unit sales goal. performance to match or beat new Taycan and Saphhire.
- MS Performance with say 850 HP and totally civilian looks (same as present Plaid)
- MS Long Range : same as now

0-60 could be 2, 2.8 and 3.5 ish...
As much as I think many of us would like that to be true, my personal view is this is not what is happening at the present time. If it were, we would see more evidence and prototypes running around, just as we are seeing the new M3P prototypes. But we will see shortly!

Reactions: teko and Hayseed_MS