Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received my VIN in the last hour for Model S Plaid, Stealth Gray, Arachnid wheels, autopilot only, and steering wheel. Ordered Jan 4 and accepted EPA change Jan 5. Estimated delivery is 2/3-2/9 (changed twice since Jan 4 - est. delivery range before VIN received was 2/3-2/23).
Tdroesch: May I inquire where you expect to take delivery? My MSP config is identical, except yoke and cream interior (not sure what your interior is); I ordered 12/12/23, accepted the EPA change immediately, and delivery is Merritt Island, FL. Still looking at “Feb-Mar” delivery. Anyone know if location is a major determinant for VIN assignment and delivery schedule?

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Tdroesch: May I inquire where you expect to take delivery? My MSP config is identical, except yoke and cream interior (not sure what your interior is); I ordered 12/12/23, accepted the EPA change immediately, and delivery is Merritt Island, FL. Still looking at “Feb-Mar” delivery. Anyone know if location is a major determinant for VIN assignment and delivery schedule?
I think he mentioned that he is taking delivery in Freemont. If that is the case then my guess is that they are prioritizing closer locations. For example, it looks like Tdroesch and I also have the exact same configuration but I placed my order over a month before, I also accepted the updated configuration on January 5th and other than order date the only other difference is that I'm in CT.

Additionally, it looks like one of the few cars that rolled off the line that is unassigned is my exact build but it is being sent to a store in CA as an inventory car.

So, if they passed me over for the exact same build to someone in CA that placed an order over a month later and if they decided to send my exact config to a CA store as an inventory car then they must be doing something strange because I don't really see a reason for them to prioritize local locations so early in the month / quarter.

I think he mentioned that he is taking delivery in Freemont. If that is the case then my guess is that they are prioritizing closer locations. For example, it looks like Tdroesch and I also have the exact same configuration but I placed my order over a month before, I also accepted the updated configuration on January 5th and other than order date the only other difference is that I'm in CT.

Additionally, it looks like one of the few cars that rolled off the line that is unassigned is my exact build but it is being sent to a store in CA as an inventory car.

So, if they passed me over for the exact same build to someone in CA that placed an order over a month later and if they decided to send my exact config to a CA store as an inventory car then they must be doing something strange because I don't really see a reason for them to prioritize local locations so early in the month / quarter.
Thank you. A little mysterious. But we are all here still waiting aren’t we?

I would not be too eager to get an inventory car, or one of the first '24 builds. Even though the changes are very minor, you don't want to be one to have the new wheel with center horn fall off in your lap (It has happened on a early refresh some time back)

• Funny
Reactions: teko and zoomer0056
Take it for what’s it’s worth. Lots of rumors and things that are being said by SA’s…… Here’s a post from FB.

And then here's a guy that just took delivery of a 2024 MS, contradicting the screenshot info.
What surprised me the most:

The friggin' front door card trim finally lines up with the IP--and it only took two and half years! (Sadly, the right rear door card doesn't quite align with the C-pillar trim. Perhaps by 2026 or '27?)

Reactions: ICUDoc
What surprised me the most:

The friggin' front door card trim finally lines up with the IP--and it only took two and half years! (Sadly, the right rear door card doesn't quite align with the C-pillar trim. Perhaps by 2026 or '27?)

I saw that too, but was trying to forget, because, I look at those gaps every single time I get in my '22.

The right rear card is fine though, but I never see it.

Went to Fremont to look at the '24 MSLR UR 19" Round that they had in stock. No BS like what Sunnyvale did. She led me right out to where it was asking me three times if I would like to test drive it. I said "No, I just want to sit behind the steering wheel see how much it blocks the display". For me, there wasn't really that much of a difference between it and my P85D. I could see everything fine so we're good with round.

Also climbed in the back and paired a couple of BT headphones. Works perfectly including being able to play different content up front vs on headphones in the back.

The door alignment was awful.
20240201_150114.jpg_compressed.JPEG

20240201_150045.jpg_compressed.JPEG

Went to Fremont to look at the '24 MSLR UR 19" Round that they had in stock. No BS like what Sunnyvale did. She led me right out to where it was asking me three times if I would like to test drive it. I said "No, I just want to sit behind the steering wheel see how much it blocks the display". For me, there wasn't really that much of a difference between it and my P85D. I could see everything fine so we're good with round.

Also climbed in the back and paired a couple of BT headphones. Works perfectly including being able to play different content up front vs on headphones in the back.

The door alignment was awful.
View attachment 1014535

View attachment 1014537
Hey be careful, that could very well be mine! (I'm in Southern Oregon and that's my exact spec)! No VIN... est delivery feb1-fed-19. 🤣

It's a shame no hardware changes were made in the '24 Plaids. At least we should all we getting our VINS in a matter of days! I'll probably hold on to this '24 and trade it in when the S gets new facelift treatment like the M3. Would have probably kept it longer if it came with ambient lighting and front camera.

Tesla told me today:

"
on page 2 of the order agreement it states:

"If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement."

You made the changes by not taking delivery of the 2023 model when it was avaialbe for you. As we no longer build the 2023 model, you are subject to the price increase of getting a 2024 model S.
"

Did you actually agree to purchase any specified model "year" in the order/delivery process yet?

What Tesla advertises on their website and when placing a website order specifies "new" in certain pages (e.g. Inventory) but omits any mention of "year" in any web page using my recent buying experience as a baseline.

Maybe the order process is different at a showroom, but I doubt it.

Reviewing my Order Agreement document for my vehicle delivered last month had no mention of any specific "year."

Reviewing my Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement document is the first time a year is indirectly mentioned. Not a specific 2023 or 2024 but by decrypting the assigned VIN.

The first documented mention of a specific "year" was via the Tesla loan contract (not the initial loan offer.)

The above seems moot imho if you hadn't made it to agreeing to something containing a direct reference to a "year" and not something requiring deciphering like a VIN assignment.

Here is to hoping you can argue and win with Tesla using their own vague language as a position, but I doubt the odds are ever in the customer's favor these days.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
It's a shame no hardware changes were made in the '24 Plaids. At least we should all we getting our VINS in a matter of days! I'll probably hold on to this '24 and trade it in when the S gets new facelift treatment like the M3. Would have probably kept it longer if it came with ambient lighting and front camera.
The horn was changed, so that's hardware. You should not be surprised, as Tesla doesn't do model year changes, and at this point they strategically shouldn't unless they want customers waiting for model year changeovers, as you're describing.

But I think you should add the operative word "yet". Dollars to donuts there will be further changes made before the year is out. In fact, they may very well change those seats in Q2.

Reactions: teko and JoeCal