Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let us know how removing the front license braket before accepting the car goes.

Will do:
ddf8654a762dfc4de11267b64fcc51b3.png

Thanks for inserting that table again. I remember seeing it a few pages back but this new context makes it even more helpful. I guess you're now just waiting for them to tell you to pick a delivery date, which I assume happens once they receive the car at the delivery center. What activities typically happen after a VIN has been assigned? I'm assuming they don't tell you that your car is in transit or when it'll arrive at the delivery center, but you can probably make assumptions based on the EDD changing or being asked to pick a date/time.
Right. I'm waiting for the car to officially arrive to schedule the delivery date.

Nothing really happened after VIN assigned. In my case, I requested a 2 week hold, the hold later expired and the next day a new VIN was assigned. I requested the hold because I didn't expect the 3 month lead-time when I ordered the car, and now I don't really need the car during Ohio winter with summer tires on it, as all Plaids come. Tesla, for their part, have been consistent with the timing in my case.

The app doesn't give the ETA at the service center - it only gives the range, as you've seen. However, I asked through the app's chat function, and they told me the ETA.

I've seen many contributors here talk about their EDD in terms of the EDD window's start date, and be disappointed when they see that date move back. As you can see in my experience, the window simply narrows around a nominal, which in my case moved around by a few days, but it's looking like the actual delivery date is going to be spot on the nominal they projected back in December, adjusted for the 2-week hold. It surprises me that it was that close given all the model year & manufacturing activities that occurred during that time.

It's not to late to rent a Plaid on Turo and change her mind...
Definitely might do that. Her concern is more of the range reduction. The difference of about 60 miles is big for her when she takes road trips. It is the difference between having to stop half way or not. I keep explaining that the new range estimates are based on the updated EPA guidelines which should be closer to real world Highway range vs the more combo range. I also tell her driving 75 instead of 85-90 means no stops at the current estimates. ;)

Definitely might do that. Her concern is more of the range reduction. The difference of about 60 miles is big for her when she takes road trips. It is the difference between having to stop half way or not. I keep explaining that the new range estimates are based on the updated EPA guidelines which should be closer to real world Highway range vs the more combo range. I also tell her driving 75 instead of 85-90 means no stops at the current estimates. ;)
I don't think they are that far apart, especially with the 19s. It will be interesting to see what the new EPA numbers are. Check to see if someone did a 70 or 75 mi an hour highway test of the Plaid versus long range.

I'd stick with the MSLR. Though I have an MSP on order, both MSLR and MSP are significantly more powerful than the MYP (I also have one). The benefit of Plaid option would be completely wasted on my wife, if anything like yours.

Just my opinion, but when I read these, I immediately look at the signature to see if there is an order date or even a build type. Without that information, I have no idea if I am on track or not. I ordered on 2/14 for MSLR Black/Black/21"/steering wheel. Wanted a UR Plaid, but this is my wife's car and she did not want the added acceleration and estimate range loss.
The range "loss" between Plaid and LR is negligible. There's far more range loss in your right foot. In real world driving conditions, it's not going to make a bit of difference. You can actually have more fun in the Plaid and use less energy than the LR, trying to have the same fun.

This is a real world drive with some spirited traffic light stops and a few spirited overtakes. Granted, mainly some back country roads but it was a pretty normal drive for me.

1708982352757.png

The range "loss" between Plaid and LR is negligible. There's far more range loss in your right foot. In real world driving conditions, it's not going to make a bit of difference. You can actually have more fun in the Plaid and use less energy than the LR, trying to have the same fun.

This is a real world drive with some spirited traffic light stops and a few spirited overtakes. Granted, mainly some back country roads but it was a pretty normal drive for me.

View attachment 1022249
What app or Tesla menu did this data come from? (Sorry I don't own a Tesla - YET.)

You guys should sit down together and watch some of Kyle Connor's YouTube videos from Out of Spec Reviews. For road tripping, the most efficient and time effective way to drive an EV from A to B is to stop and charge for 15 minutes or so and drive as far as you can go to the next charger. Watch his 10% challenge videos. They go through exactly that. Tesla is right up there with the best of them. Not the best charging curve but really efficient motors make the S and X great road trippers. The Plaid X and S both did really well in his 10% challenge videos. He just did his dad's X Plaid a few days ago.

S 70 mph Range Test -
X 10% Challenge -

Reactions: CleanDemon

There's no way the MSLR isn't also range reduced once they post the new EPA rating. Either that, or the Plaid will regain some of it's lost rating if they were indeed retesting both trims with the new "efficiency" package. Bottom line is there's never been more than about a 15 mile range difference between LR and Performance trims.

View attachment 1022249

That equates to 343 miles on a single charge with that driving style despite the fairly massive amount of regen braking in your case. Not bad.

You guys should sit down together and watch some of Kyle Connor's YouTube videos from Out of Spec Reviews. For road tripping, the most efficient and time effective way to drive an EV from A to B is to stop and charge for 15 minutes or so and drive as far as you can go to the next charger. Watch his 10% challenge videos. They go through exactly that. Tesla is right up there with the best of them. Not the best charging curve but really efficient motors make the S and X great road trippers. The Plaid X and S both did really well in his 10% challenge videos. He just did his dad's X Plaid a few days ago.

S 70 mph Range Test -
X 10% Challenge -
This is the main reason we are moving back to Tesla. She has had her Rivian for 6 months (totaled last month after being run off the road by an 18 wheeler-everyone was ok). But, she hated the charging. Was almost stranded a few times in drives. Its her car, so letting her make the choice, saves me $15k overall. If it was mine, I would have ordered a UR Plaid with White interior and 21" wheels.

I currently have an F150 Lightning that I love. Looking forward to the open Tesla network, but not looking forward to trying to plug it in with the short cables. For 90% of her driving, the range is never an issue.

That equates to 343 miles on a single charge with that driving style despite the fairly massive amount of regen braking in your case. Not bad.
Here's another Grumble real world driving battery consumption data point. I have a really heavy right foot, so in the hands of someone that doesn't Hulk-smash the accelerator, normal miles/kwh could be way better than mine. I only had the car for a week, so it was important to find out how it felt at high speeds, so there were a few dumb runs in there :D

1708984749273.png