Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have decided to not wait for news about the front bumper camera (or lighting) and take what I can get - if I ever get one. There is finally ONE car in inventory in Texas matching my build but I still do not have a VIN. Hopefully that car will be mine. I will go to a SC tomorrow and see what I can find out.
Yeah that’s bizarre. You should go and see what you can find out. My build is the same as yours except SG instead of UR. Ordered 2/4, VIN assigned 2/24. I know someone who ordered 2/1, VIN assigned 2/20. Maybe they are deprioritizing yours since it was before the paint option price increase. Would be a scummy move but also wouldn’t be surprising.

Reactions: Chip Geek
Model S Plaid - Ultra Red, White interior, 19” Wheels, steering wheel.

After much back and forth and internal debate - I decided to call corporate and ask what the deal was with the inbound Plaid and what it would take to switch to it.

She said it was inbound, likely same truck as my LR, exact same configuration, available, and she’d switch it if I wanted.

I said DO IT.

30 seconds later I had the Plaid VIN in my account and a new invoice with the additional $16,500 or so.

In the end I realized that I was trying to make the LR look and feel like a Plaid - when I could have just paid the additional ~17% and have the real thing.

Here is to hoping the “regret” doesn’t come from upgrading that I was worried would happen if I stuck with the Long Range.

Excited to finally get it and send back my vinyl carbon fiber wrap. All my other many accessories will be Plaid friendly.

Thanks thread for all your thoughts!
Ahahahahah

Good for you! I’m not splurging on the arachnid wheels. They look great but the 19” inch wheels offer more range, more comfort, and leas tire drama. I had FSD on my last two Model Xs and for 12 grand I just don’t think it’s worth it. I’m not even gonna spurge on EAP. I can change lanes, past few times I tried NOA it kept taking the wrong lanes anyway.

BUT…

Plaid baby boy, I had to have it again. My model x plaid has godlike acceleration. I can’t wait to experience the model s.

Just got an offer to schedule MSP delivery date of 3/3 - 3/5. Picked mid-day on 3/5.

Would like to hear more experiences of those who did an ACH bank transfer after viewing the car, or if I should get a bank check. The Plaid app is not an option to me (principles).
My SA said no to the ACH transfer (either push or pull), cashiers check works. OK, fine, $10 and 40 minute wait for approvals of that size.

Got update offer to pick up what I ordered mid-December (free paint) last Friday, 3/1. Looked over car for 1.5 hours, brought wifey for extra skeptical eyeballs, my own microfiber cloths, one damp, one dry, 2L water + bucket just in case. :) Car looked perfect inside and out with the exception of three paint chips, two on driver's rear door and another on the hatch near the hinge, and a small scratch on the charging door (easily replaced). There was some adhesive residue on the black trim at the top of the door body that needed removal with some chemical they had (I thought it was chipped/scratched), but it cleaned up perfectly.

There were a few other small scuffs I could buff out or just ignore, but not these chips...the bigger chip on the door (about 1/4"x1/8") was 'repaired' likely by these guys who made the white go away, but left a mess...didn't fill the chip, raised paint around it, just an amateur job. The other chip on the door was very small, but near the top so the white really showed. The chip on the hatch was about 1/8" square.

When asked what can be done about replacing the door and hatch, and explaining repainting was not acceptable to me, got the run-around, depends on what the body shop says, manager wouldn't come out to talk, so I basically said I didn't feel good about this car and would like to reject it. As my first purchase, I was unsure about what this really meant, and the delivery girl was really nice about it and explained she would need to put a 'hold' on my order for 2 days to avoid having the same VIN reassigned to me and then, well, I'm back in the queue. I accepted, she put the hold on it, and I left with the unsigned paperwork. App says this is my one and only hold, if I don't accept the next car, they'll cancel the order.

Took the cashier's check back to Capital One and they refused to deposit the check back into my account the same day. Said there's a 24hr hold on it, so come back tomorrow. Well, no, I'm busy all weekend, so there's at least 3 * $14/day of interest lost...annoying...next time I'll just look over the car really well FIRST and since the bank is just a mile or so away from the SC, will get the check after passing my inspection.

I missed all the drama about the front camera, which I think I would really appreciate given my tight garage and parking curbs.

So I'm unsure what's going to happen next...order was for a MSP Red 19" black yoke...yoke probably makes it fairly rare.

Certainly have some regrets, but given I don't plan to pay the ridiculous prices for PPF and how it's been stated the paint chips easily, it'll probably get chipped up anyway. Given a similar situation, I will probably accept it.

Was I dumb to reject? What would you have done?

And maybe by then, they will fix ARNR and have real RGB lighting.....😁
It's hilarious that Tesla continues to put in the faulty ARNR (it doesn't work, anyone who says it does is talking out of their pooper), when they could put that money into... oh I don't know... a rain sensor like cars costing 1/5 of the price already have, - a proven technology.

I would pay Tesla to remove ARNR and put in a working rain sensor in my car.

My SA said no to the ACH transfer (either push or pull), cashiers check works. OK, fine, $10 and 40 minute wait for approvals of that size.

Got update offer to pick up what I ordered mid-December (free paint) last Friday, 3/1. Looked over car for 1.5 hours, brought wifey for extra skeptical eyeballs, my own microfiber cloths, one damp, one dry, 2L water + bucket just in case. :) Car looked perfect inside and out with the exception of three paint chips, two on driver's rear door and another on the hatch near the hinge, and a small scratch on the charging door (easily replaced). There was some adhesive residue on the black trim at the top of the door body that needed removal with some chemical they had (I thought it was chipped/scratched), but it cleaned up perfectly.

There were a few other small scuffs I could buff out or just ignore, but not these chips...the bigger chip on the door (about 1/4"x1/8") was 'repaired' likely by these guys who made the white go away, but left a mess...didn't fill the chip, raised paint around it, just an amateur job. The other chip on the door was very small, but near the top so the white really showed. The chip on the hatch was about 1/8" square.

When asked what can be done about replacing the door and hatch, and explaining repainting was not acceptable to me, got the run-around, depends on what the body shop says, manager wouldn't come out to talk, so I basically said I didn't feel good about this car and would like to reject it. As my first purchase, I was unsure about what this really meant, and the delivery girl was really nice about it and explained she would need to put a 'hold' on my order for 2 days to avoid having the same VIN reassigned to me and then, well, I'm back in the queue. I accepted, she put the hold on it, and I left with the unsigned paperwork. App says this is my one and only hold, if I don't accept the next car, they'll cancel the order.

Took the cashier's check back to Capital One and they refused to deposit the check back into my account the same day. Said there's a 24hr hold on it, so come back tomorrow. Well, no, I'm busy all weekend, so there's at least 3 * $14/day of interest lost...annoying...next time I'll just look over the car really well FIRST and since the bank is just a mile or so away from the SC, will get the check after passing my inspection.

I missed all the drama about the front camera, which I think I would really appreciate given my tight garage and parking curbs.

So I'm unsure what's going to happen next...order was for a MSP Red 19" black yoke...yoke probably makes it fairly rare.

Certainly have some regrets, but given I don't plan to pay the ridiculous prices for PPF and how it's been stated the paint chips easily, it'll probably get chipped up anyway. Given a similar situation, I will probably accept it.

I would have accepted it but I’m not that picky. I view cars (except maybe true collectibles) as tools to be used rather than works of art, so I don’t mind the occasional chip so long as they don’t impact the utility of the car. Don’t get me wrong, overall aesthetics are important to me, and I like my cars to be appealing to my eye and presentable. All that said, it’s a brand new car so you have every right to reject it if it’s not in brand spanking new condition.

I would have accepted it but I’m not that picky.

The charge port door is one with the charge port and requires a lot of interior trim removal, making it likely that Tesla breaking a lot of stuff based on my experience.

The more picky people, the greater the pressure to get MS quality up to Honda Civic level.

You were right to reject. The paint shouldn't be chipped at delivery. Tesla needs to start protecting paint in shipping like everyone else.

Reactions: aerodyne
It's hilarious that Tesla continues to put in the faulty ARNR (it doesn't work, anyone who says it does is talking out of their pooper), when they could put that money into... oh I don't know... a rain sensor like cars costing 1/5 of the price already have, - a proven technology.

But vision can do everything!! 😅 oh Elon

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
You were right to reject. The paint shouldn't be chipped at delivery. Tesla needs to start protecting paint in shipping like everyone else.
I would have rejected too. It’s a brand new car. I don’t get how these cars are being chipped up when they are brand new. I have had cars come from Japan and Germany and never once had paint issues and I keep reading about Teslas having paint issues with these cars being built not that far away. I don’t get it.

Reactions: geminus
I would have rejected too. It’s a brand new car. I don’t get how these cars are being chipped up when they are brand new. I have had cars come from Japan and Germany and never once had paint issues and I keep reading about Teslas having paint issues with these cars being built not that far away. I don’t get it.
They ship in open car carriers with nothing covering the car.

Reactions: dsm363

I mean seriously, after years of people complaining they can't put a $5 part I assume back in their cars until they (or if) they get their new system perfected?

You have to do what makes you happy so think it was right to reject it. Maybe you'll get that front camera too.

If you're not planning on PPF then, it chips are minor, a good detailer can make it look new and will likely pay less over time and full PPF. But getting PPF on the front hood at least and front of car might not be a bad idea. The high impact areas.

The charge port door is one with the charge port and requires a lot of interior trim removal, making it likely that Tesla breaking a lot of stuff based on my experience.

The more picky people, the greater the pressure to get MS quality up to Honda Civic level.
The cars were originally delivered with the key fob in a plastic bag with blue duct tape and VIN written on it. This was after the online event where the first customers got a fancy wooden box with the key inside. Making Signature customers think they'd get similar treatment. It's always been about cheapest experience possible. I get that the first 5+ years were make or break. But at this point, they can afford to up the experience for their premium cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne
Good Morning All,

Question regarding the ACH transfer. My delivery is this Thursday, when should I do the transfer to ensure I won't have issues come Thursday? Like is this a same day type of thing?
You can do it in front of the advisor when you are comfortable with the purchase and the car overall. Do your best to look over the car prior to sending the money.