Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't like the ordering experience, just until you get to the *sugar* show that is the delivery experience! 😅

But, seriously, the ordering part is I think reasonable. As your window narrows, it gets more accurate. I'd say it's very likely you get a car by the end of the month.
100% agree it's more likely than not I get a car before quarter-end given the significant gap they need to fill from the EPA issue and otherwise to get to consensus deliveries, but that would require a VIN by the weekend as they'd still need to ship it out to me. If that doesn't happen I will get pushed into 2Q, and based on the experience this quarter, late into 2Q. Whether its due to de-prioritization of old pricing orders, my configuration, inept logistics group, glitch in their system, etc. I'm just not interested in waiting another 2-3 months and enabling this embarrassing low level of customer service. No matter what the issue is the only thing that is clear is that they are horrendous at disseminating information to both their employees and customers.

I'm genuinely very curious to know what your alternative options are if you cancel your order. I've pretty much snookered myself into only being able to drive a model S because nothing I've driven within the price range (granted, not much) has come anywhere close to the driving experience. Yes, the company itself is a complete sht show but the product is unparalleled from my perspective. I'm not a Tesla fanboy. Just a grumbly old engineer with unrealistic expectations :D.
Either hold onto my current car or buy a used MSLR/MSP for a year or two to monitor the overall EV market. I don't mind having someone else take the depreciation on the car while I wait for Tesla or others to get their crap together.

The competition will catch up and Tesla will be forced to adapt and improve on some of the things they don't care about or will risk going into obsolescence minus the blind zealots that will stay. Whole heartedly agree with the overall sentiment in this forum though that the product they deliver is superior to anything on the market and they (Tesla) clearly also know and believe that.

I'm genuinely very curious to know what your alternative options are if you cancel your order. I've pretty much snookered myself into only being able to drive a model S because nothing I've driven within the price range (granted, not much) has come anywhere close to the driving experience. Yes, the company itself is a complete sht show but the product is unparalleled from my perspective. I'm not a Tesla fanboy. Just a grumbly old engineer with unrealistic expectations :D.

Go check out Lucid. I think their cars are fantastic, especially with the deals they have going on. You have to be willing to endure some growing pains though, along with the lesser charging network, but there are options. Even so, I went with a used S Plaid. 😜

Go check out Lucid. I think their cars are fantastic, especially with the deals they have going on. You have to be willing to endure some growing pains though, along with the lesser charging network, but there are options. Even so, I went with a used S Plaid. 😜
Lucid have an enticing product. I think they copied Tesla's approach to building a new car manufacturer model but the current economic landscape is completely different compared to when Tesla did it, so I'm not convinced they will see the same ramp up in sales as Tesla did. They are maybe a million cars away from being a valid competitor.

I was was several days away from from heading to Lucid Studio at Valley Fair (San Jose) on my next commute to the bay area. Then I read this review:

...and realized given the seriousness of the issues MT had, even if I liked the Lucid more than the MS on several notes, I'd have to wait at least a few years for them to work out some really serious issues. Coupled with their financial outlook, it leaves way too much to chance and too much risk.

If people weren't so excited about getting a Tesla their lots would be full of unsold cars and you could walk in and buy today. As it is, there's more demand than they can keep up with. Hang in there for the car you want. I waited six months (some waited a year at that time) for my 2022 MSLR and not once did I entertain getting any other car. It was worth the wait ... best car I've ever owned.
I second this. I’ve had plenty of gripes owning Teslas since 2012 but they’ve been the best cars I’ve ever owned. Certain cars I’ve owned (BMW, MB, Audi, Porsche etc) have been better at certain things but none have come close to matching the overall package.

Either hold onto my current car or buy a used MSLR/MSP for a year or two to monitor the overall EV market. I don't mind having someone else take the depreciation on the car while I wait for Tesla or others to get their crap together.

The competition will catch up and Tesla will be forced to adapt and improve on some of the things they don't care about or will risk going into obsolescence minus the blind zealots that will stay. Whole heartedly agree with the overall sentiment in this forum though that the product they deliver is superior to anything on the market and they (Tesla) clearly also know and believe that.
The monolithic business models of current-day vehicle manufacturing are going to struggle to be able to catch Tesla. Tesla's ability to change the wheels on the bus while it's driving down the road makes it pretty resilient to almost anything. Granted, it's that model that makes the company a complete disaster from a consumer perspective but if the product is that good, it almost doesn't matter. /opinion

Reactions: TBrownTX
Lucid have an enticing product. I think they copied Tesla's approach to building a new car manufacturer model but the current economic landscape is completely different compared to when Tesla did it, so I'm not convinced they will see the same ramp up in sales as Tesla did. They are maybe a million cars away from being a valid competitor.
I agree with this. The Lucid Gravity is (for me) the perfect vehicle. I'm not buying one for at least 2 years because:
1) Lucid is not (yet) on the Tesla Supercharging network
2) I question / worry about Lucid's viability. In other words, will they be in business in 2 or 3 years?

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
The monolithic business models of current-day vehicle manufacturing are going to struggle to be able to catch Tesla. Tesla's ability to change the wheels on the bus while it's driving down the road makes it pretty resilient to almost anything. Granted, it's that model that makes the company a complete disaster from a consumer perspective but if the product is that good, it almost doesn't matter. /opinion
Perhaps. I'm not saying Tesla will be dethroned as the standard in the market, but if the next closest is, say, 70% of the way to a Tesla, my stance is that gap will get closer over the next couple of years. There are a number of people that currently own Tesla's that will switch based on when the charging gets upgraded on other manufacturers. Unless Elon actually goes through with his threat of taking Tesla private (which he won't), he is in the unfortunate situation of being held to consensus delivery and revenue numbers that will continue to expect significant growth. If he and Tesla want to do that they will have to not only have to be the superior product, but also have to win the customers that care about service, transparency, etc.

Reactions: ck1891
I filled out a recent survey about the ordering process and while it felt like screaming into the void, I shared my frustration as a first time Tesla buyer. And I haven't even been waiting for three months!

The general lack of transparency is a problem. Waiting a month for a new car, especially given the normal car buying experience, is annoying. Slipping production dates when you've been assigned a VIN and a delivery window has got to be incredibly frustrating.

I just don't think Tesla has much of an incentive to solve this "problem" when the average Model Y buyer right now can get one delivered in a week.

It's almost like the solution isn't improving the actual production process, it's more about making the waiting process less annoying/ambiguous. Rory Sutherland-ish.

All that said, I still check the Tesla app couple times a day and laugh at the idea that my 3/14 order will be delivered by end of March. 😆😭

Reactions: ck1891 and fupito
It's funny how many people have a different perspective on what reliability means. It seems like most people think that if you have to bring your car in for service or you have to do some kind of maintenance on it, that it is unreliable - or that if a button pops off, it's unreliable.

Wouldn't reliability have to do with the overall function of what the vehicle's job essentially is?

I have to go from point A to point B and get there by a certain time. If my vehicle fails to get me there on time, without any external factors getting in the way and assuming the fundamental prerequisites of operating a vehicle are met (fuel, battery etc.), I would deem that vehicle as unreliable.

Unsurprisingly, window got moved again today but they kept it in the quarter. If I don't have a VIN by the weekend I'll be cancelling and moving on though. Honestly cannot imagine a worst customer service experience. The lack of transparency and lack of responses with anything resembling substance is comical. I'd just prefer they replace it with ChatGPT at this point at least save the company some money.

Hope everyone's deliveries this week go well though!

Order date 12/04
MSLR/White/White/Wheel/19''

Original EDD Dec 2023-Jan 2024
12/15/23 - Jan 3-Feb 14
01/04/24 - Feb 3-Mar 16
02/05/24 - Feb 16-Mar 22
02/16/24 - Feb 25-Mar 31
02/26/24 - Feb 29-Mar 21
02/29/24 - Mar 17-Mar 31
03/18/24 - Mar 28-Mar 31
Downside of a tech company making cars. I still prefer Tesla's sales model over the traditional dealership model.

However, what I loved about ordering my current truck was the level of detail they're able to provide (compared to Tesla).
1) Told me it would likely take ~2 months which was pretty accurate for both of my orders.
2) Very easy to get updates what stage your order is in (accepted, planning, pre prod (parts allocation), scheduling, on production line, QA check etc)

Then again, Tesla builds cars then matches VINs to orders, hard to track 'your car'

How did you modify it so it so long after order date?
As mentioned below, if no VIN is assigned it lets me change the config. Another benefit for me was even if I change the color it do3s not change the price for me, so I went from stealth grey to ultra red to blue to stealth grey. But each time you change the config they do say it impacts delivery timeline it’s a standard clause.

As mentioned below, if no VIN is assigned it lets me change the config. Another benefit for me was even if I change the color it do3s not change the price for me, so I went from stealth grey to ultra red to blue to stealth grey. But each time you change the config they do say it impacts delivery timeline it’s a standard clause.
I wish they could tell you which options combo was more likely to be built earlier. I was between stealth grey and ultra red, but had they told me definitively that one would be built sooner I would have just picked that.

I was was several days away from from heading to Lucid Studio at Valley Fair (San Jose) on my next commute to the bay area. Then I read this review:

...and realized given the seriousness of the issues MT had, even if I liked the Lucid more than the MS on several notes, I'd have to wait at least a few years for them to work out some really serious issues. Coupled with their financial outlook, it leaves way too much to chance and too much risk.
Did they remove the review? Saudi’s?