Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t noticed any difference in ride quality or efficiency decreasing. There’s a video on YouTube of a guy who tested these exact covers and no range differences.
Do please provide a YT link so that we may check the validity of his test, if you can find it.

Tesla spends a massive amount of (very expensive) time on wheels and wheel covers in the wind tunnel as they have a large impact on aerodynamic drag, and as a follow on impact: range.

Here's why: the bottom of the wheel/tire combination is at ZERO relative speed to the road. Thus, the top of the wheel/tire combination is traveling at twice the road speed of the car. As you might imagine, highway speeds very much impact aerodynamic drag, and wheels/wheel covers do matter significantly. At only 80 mph the top of the wheel/tire has a 160 mph aerodynamic "hit" which is why wheel and wheel cover aerodynamics is so very important.

While they do look nice, these replacement wheel covers do not appear to have that same level of attention to aerodynamic drag. I sincerely hope others will provide more thorough testing to see their true range impact as the language on their website is remarkably nonspecific.

Also see this test, although the fact that the Tesla was on oval track (continuous yaw/turning) may have skewed results. That said, it's the best we've got to work with absent anyone with their own personal wind tunnel (with a moving road surface for maximum fidelity):

After some experimentation I’ve found that Gorilla duct tape works better than gaffers tape or electrical tape (wrapped around the latch) to address rear seat rattle. The only downside is that Gorilla tape makes it harder to latch and unlatch the seat. It’s a good solution if you don’t fold down your rear seats often.

Do please provide a YT link so that we may check the validity of his test, if you can find it.

Tesla spends a massive amount of (very expensive) time on wheels and wheel covers in the wind tunnel as they have a large impact on aerodynamic drag, and as a follow on impact: range.

Here's why: the bottom of the wheel/tire combination is at ZERO relative speed to the road. Thus, the top of the wheel/tire combination is traveling at twice the road speed of the car. As you might imagine, highway speeds very much impact aerodynamic drag, and wheels/wheel covers do matter significantly. At only 80 mph the top of the wheel/tire has a 160 mph aerodynamic "hit" which is why wheel and wheel cover aerodynamics is so very important.

While they do look nice, these replacement wheel covers do not appear to have that same level of attention to aerodynamic drag. I sincerely hope others will provide more thorough testing to see their true range impact as the language on their website is remarkably nonspecific.

Also see this test, although the fact that the Tesla was on oval track (continuous yaw/turning) may have skewed results. That said, it's the best we've got to work with absent anyone with their own personal wind tunnel (with a moving road surface for maximum fidelity):

I wish they would have spent a little more time and money coming up with some different designs. The Tempest wheel covers are terrible and have no business on a 75K+ vehicle. They make an expensive car look like a cheap one.

These are what I got…
Definitely better than the OEM. Wish someone made an Uberturbine like one though. Like the way they look as my winter wheels but would be nice to get hubcap versions on my OEM summers.
IMG_3470.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: cwanja
Picked up MSLR 21” yesterday in Austin. There were some small issues, but at that point we decided if we want the car - it is unlikely to be substantially better:
1. I have to slam driver’s door to make it latch a bit stronger than I would’ve expected;
2. There is a small tear in the driver’s seat cover (Tesla advisor promised Tesla will replace).

Overall - very happy with the car.

Smaller notes:
1. With referral (3 months FSD) and recent offer from Tesla (1 month FSD), it has 4 months of FSD trial;
2. Had just 6 miles on the odometer;
3. Displayed 390 miles of range on full charge;
4. Pretty quiet on highway - no strange noices, etc.

And no bumper camera or color LEDs in the cabin.

Overall, the delivery process was not rushed. I have to click ‘Accept’ to look inside, but Tesla promised they will reverse it as soon as I don’t leave the building (delivery cars were placed inside - light was not ideal, but Ok).

Picked up MSLR 21” yesterday in Austin. There were some small issues, but at that point we decided if we want the car - it is unlikely to be substantially better:
1. I have to slam driver’s door to make it latch a bit stronger than I would’ve expected;
2. There is a small tear in the driver’s seat cover (Tesla advisor promised Tesla will replace).

Smaller notes:
1. With referral (3 months FSD) and recent offer from Tesla (1 month FSD), it has 4 months of FSD trial;

Overall, the delivery process was not rushed. I have to click ‘Accept’ to look inside, but Tesla promised they will reverse it as soon as I don’t leave the building (delivery cars were placed inside - light was not ideal, but Ok).
If those are all the issues, you did well. What was your build date?

New member here. Long time lurker. Just ordered my new car today.
Model S Plaid, Ultra Red, White Interior, Arachnid Wheels, Round Steering Wheel.
Upgrading from a Blue 2017 Model S 75. A big leap up.
Can't wait. Hopefully the process goes smoothly.
Did the same last year with slight difference (not plaid and yoke) it’s very exciting and 17 is amazing too.

Reactions: TBrownTX

Smaller notes:

390 is 10 more than rated for 21". I've never seen a Tesla display more or less when brand new until this year. Now we have the MSP 19" displaying only 347 fully charged instead of 359 (yet the same car displays the correct 320 when setting changed to 21").

And now we have your saying 390 instead of 380. How strange.

Don't take anyone's word on what they say they will fix. As per policy, for damage, cosmetic issues, and NVH issues, you must submit a service request in the app within 100 miles and 24 hours (whichever comes first) to document your issues or they technically don't have to address them.

Get wheels that make you happy. Unless you are routinely driving 350+ miles at a time and need to maximize every bit of performance (which applies to 0.01% of people), I don't see the point in worrying about decreased efficiency from non-OEM wheel caps.

The ones that make me happy:
  1. Don't look like rubber bands.
  2. Last longer.
  3. Less pothole damage.
  4. Faster.
  5. Better handling.
  6. Less expensive.
  7. More comfortable.
Only #1 on that list is subjective.

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne