Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RAC88,

Perhaps your charge rate is manually turned down to 48 A on the touchscreen?

If you tried to increase beyond 48 A, and the up arrow is greyed out, then double check the HPWC setting again and/or try charging at a known good 80 A HPWC, such as at a Tesla service center.

Good Luck,

GSP

I have the high amperage charger upgrade. Is there anything special I need to do? It's on my order sheet. Could they have forgotten it?

If you ordered the dual charger option, you should be able to charge at the 72Amp rate.
Check your touch screen first for the 72Amp setting. If that does not work, you will need to check the rotary Amperage switch inside the HPWC.

upload_2016-6-11_18-4-27.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. I am unable to manually increase in the car past 48 amps. I double checked the window sticker that came with the car and it says high amperage upgrade on it. I assumed since my charging screen says 48/80 amps, the car recognizes that it can pull up to 80 but it's not. I will double check inside of the HPWC.

I have the high amperage charger upgrade. Is there anything special I need to do? It's on my order sheet. Could they have forgotten it?
There's nothing you need to do. I suspect the problem is that the HPWC has the DIP switches set wrong. Another thing that could have happened is that you or someone has dialed down the amps at your home. (The Tesla remembers the last charge setting for each location.) But here's a check to see if you have the high power charger: Sometime when you are away from home (so the geo location isn't remembering a setting) bring up the charging screen. If you have the large charger it will show the higher amount, if you don't it won't.

If that doesn't happen, the car's software is set incorrectly and the Service Centre can fix--or maybe it can be fixed over the air. The difference is just a software switch, not a hardware replacement.

warning!!! Newbie :)

Just ordered p85d and trying to plan out the charging situation at home.

Trying to decide between the wall mount or just a plug.

Here is my power situation.

I have a 5 year old house with good service and wiring. I recently was looking at moving my hot water tanks and making them electric. (then decided not to move them)

so the electrician ran approx 50 feet of NM-B 600 volt 8/2 wire to 2 remote sub panels. each of these have a 40 amp breaker already installed in the panel. The wire was run through the walls and attic.

I am trying to figure out if i can use this wire and it is not totally clear to me.

btw i live in texas.

thanks for any advice!
Dave

A little bit late on this, but that wiring cannot be used for a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. The NEMA 14-50 receptacle must be installed on #8 copper wire-in-conduit or #6 NM/Romex cable. Tesla charging requires a 50A circuit, and #8 NM/Romex can't do that.

A little bit late on this, but that wiring cannot be used for a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. The NEMA 14-50 receptacle must be installed on #8 copper wire-in-conduit or #6 NM/Romex cable. Tesla charging requires a 50A circuit, and #8 NM/Romex can't do that.
It can with a 40a breaker. That circuit isn't suitable for the mobile connector, but would work fine with any number of 30a J1772 EVSEs or an HPWC set for 30a charging.

It can with a 40a breaker. That circuit isn't suitable for the mobile connector, but would work fine with any number of 30a J1772 EVSEs or an HPWC set for 30a charging.

Fair enough - I was typing the response while on a horrible plane connection. A Tesla UMC may not be connected to a NEMA 14-50 receptacle with a circuit size of less than 50A. There are J1772 EVSE's that may have a 14-50 plug but a nameplate of only 30A continuous which would work on a 40A circuit.

If you want to argue technicalities, a NEMA 14-50 can legally be put onto a 15A breaker as long as the only appliances connected to it have a 15A nameplate. :)

• Funny
Reactions: pchilds
I inquired via email and received a response that due to supply limitations Tesla is currently estimating order fulfillments at approximately three weeks. Will post here once I receive mine. Locally, two locations had a wall charger available both with the shorter cable.

Ordered my Wall Charger beginning of May and it shipped in less than a week. Installed it on 60amp breaker to take advantage of the new 48a charger in car.

So far, so good.

Only 'issue' I've had is when unplugging the charger from the car. I press the button on the handle to release and the port cycles colors - but it's only white for a split second, so I have to pull it out very quickly before it quickly turns another color (and I think locks). I guess I screwed this up one time as the HPWC turned red - pressing the reset button on the side of the unit resolved this and it hasn't happened again.

Have only had the car for a few days, so still getting used to everything...

Only 'issue' I've had is when unplugging the charger from the car. I press the button on the handle to release and the port cycles colors - but it's only white for a split second, so I have to pull it out very quickly before it quickly turns another color (and I think locks). I guess I screwed this up one time as the HPWC turned red - pressing the reset button on the side of the unit resolved this and it hasn't happened again.

A bug, IMHO. People will disagree.

With the 8/2 NM though he would need a NEMA 6-50, not a NEMA 14-50. He wouldn't have a neutral to hook up to the NEMA 14-50 and even though the mobile connector doesn't use the neutral, you can't legally wire up a NEMA 14-50 without the neutral.

I don't think it's a bug... this happens in my garage -- to prevent it, I just double click the key fob to unlock the car, and then I can remove the charger plug. Easy.