Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in Tasmania

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree, great work you are doing there for all of us either here or with an interest in touring Tassie.

Well it is part that I don't have one and so have the time to spare dreaming (of course in reality.. I have other things I *should* be doing, but this is more fun), and partly that I want the infrastructure to be all ready to go when the Model 3 arrives :)

Australian holidays: Locals love taking their car on a road trip | The Mercury

"In the year to June, the number of people travelling to Tasmania from interstate brought their own car was 31 per cent, up from just 12 per cent two years ago."

CEO of Tourism Tasmania John Fitzgerald said the compact size of the state made driving holidays a no-brainer.

index.gif

“The type of experience and feeling people get when they’re on Tasmania’s West Coast is very different to our East, North or South coast, and the short distances and travel times between these places mean that visitors can take in all of Tassie’s amazing coastal diversity in a relatively short time,” said Mr Fitzgerald.

A very busy week in EVs in Tassie!

18 November - Anvers Chocolate Factory in north-west Tassie announce their new EV charger - House of Anvers set to offer first free northern charge point for electric cars | The Mercury
18 & 19 November - Presentations (18th in Launceston, 19th in Hobart) by AEVA Tas's Clive Attwater on a statewide electric highway proposal - I attended the Hobart one, there were many people new to EVs and and Clive did a great job promoting the technical, environmental and social benefits - Events | Tasmanian Renewable Energy Alliance
19 November - Opinion piece from AEVA Tas's Michael Wadsley published in the Mercury: http://www.themercury.com.au/news/o...electric-cars/comments-fnj4f64i-1227614008564
20 November - Interview with Michael Wadsley on Tasmania Talks (radio): Should Tasmania plug into electric cars? - Tasmania Talks

And next week...
25 November - Media event at Anvers to formally open their EV charger mentioned above

Among the things mentioned...
A working group has been formed for the electric highway, with representatives from the electric companies, the local council organisations, AEVA and RACT.
TT-Line wants to put chargers at both ends of the Spirit of Tasmania ferry run.
Hobart City Council plans to put chargers into one of their car parks.

Number of EVs in Tasmania is approximately 150. This puts EV usage in Tasmania as highest per capita of any state.
Membership of the AEVA in Tasmania is about 50-60 members, which puts us at the third largest state branch (and we've only existed for five months!)
Number of Tesla's in Tasmana is approximately 15, with around 5 more scheduled to arrive. I'm guessing this also puts us fairly high up the state rankings on a per capita basis! This info came from John Casimaty (Tesla Limousines and Tours) from when he registered his.

Last edited:
Tim, what is the little rectangular box below the Tesla wall connector?

It's the Wall Connector cable organiser.
We didn't get one with our original Hong Kong spec Wall Connectors but I got one when I ordered a second one. Its ok for hanging the cable but the plug holder in the centre is only for the USA spec plug and too small for the type 2 version we get.

Over the last week I have emailed about 35 major (or strategically located) Tassie hotels and resorts. I've only had replies from about 1/4 of them so far.

In addition to the comment about the Launceston hotel from Keiron above, there have been positive news from hotels in Hobart, Launceston, Strathgordon, Smithton, Cradle Mountain, Tarraleah, Freycinet and Eaglehawk Neck. Fantastic so far as geographic diversity goes! Not naming individual premises yet, although in some cases there is only one option ;)

Some replied they have power available, some don't now but intend to soon (either 240V or specific EV ones!)

MakfaMr.png
Hi Chuq, you've been doing some fantastic work!
Did you get more answers from those hotels that you approached?
Which of the supporting hotels do have 3 phase sockets available looking like the one below?
20150414_142129resized.jpg

I am currently preparing a trip and hope to mainly use 3 phase power for charging.

Hi Chuq, you've been doing some fantastic work!
Did you get more answers from those hotels that you approached?
Which of the supporting hotels do have 3 phase sockets available looking like the one below?
View attachment 102415
I am currently preparing a trip and hope to mainly use 3 phase power for charging.
that is a standard 32 amp socket. Easier to ask for than showing a photo.

The Clipsal technical name for this type of socket is a 56SO532. 56 indicates its IP56 waterproof status, SO indicates a socket rather than P for plug, 5 indicates 5 pins and 32 indicates 32 Amps capacity rating. So probably best to get the owner to Internet image search "Clipsal 56SO532" and they will see what the correct socket looks like, unfortunately this does not mean it has been wired up correctly as some early pioneers have found.

In case anyone is planning to go to the AEVA Tas meeting tonight...

Venue has changed - now at Hotel Soho on Davey St.

Non-members welcome! Copy of email received, below:

====

Apologies for the short notice.
We are unable to meet at the State Cinema tomorrow evening.
SOHO Hotel Davey St can fit us in.
Try for a 7:00 pm start – I will delay the start for up to 20 minutes of not enough members are present at 7:00 pm
Some of us will be having a meal there beforehand.
Cheers
Penny
Chair AEVA (Tas)

=====

A bit of news...

Hobart City Council has installed two chargers in the Melville St (Hobart Central) Car Park, on the ground floor near the lifts:
F4UbZKW.png

And watch out for something happening next week at Woolnorth. Not a dedicated EV charger, I don't think, but a 3 phase or 15A connection. Still, it's better that nothing!