Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Keyless System described by Tesla in this NHTSA Comment Letter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Powers off" how much though? I assume there an equivalent to the ACC position on an ignition, say so you can sit in the car and play with the touchscreen/radio without the drivetrain contactors engaged.

You should get that by shifting into park. It doesn't shut down power as long as the fob stays in the car. Except when the "vehicle system times out." Not sure what this means. And I'd hope there is an override, for example if you are charging, and sitting in the passenger seat or back seat (with a laptop, or reading), so you don't have the steering wheel in the way, and want ventilation or heating or music not to time out. Or so that if you are connected to a Nema 14-50 on a campground, and want to sleep a few hours on the back bench, with heating/cooling set to a comfortable temperature. Maybe the touchscreen could even have an alarm clock function. Instead of timing out. ;)

You should get that by shifting into park. It doesn't shut down power as long as the fob stays in the car. Except when the "vehicle system times out." Not sure what this means. And I'd hope there is an override, for example if you are charging, and sitting in the passenger seat or back seat (with a laptop, or reading), so you don't have the steering wheel in the way, and want ventilation or heating or music not to time out. Or so that if you are connected to a Nema 14-50 on a campground, and want to sleep a few hours on the back bench, with heating/cooling set to a comfortable temperature. Maybe the touchscreen could even have an alarm clock function. Instead of timing out. ;)
Unless they change something between Roadster and Model S I don't think you'll be able to run the car (HVAC, etc) while the car is charging.

Unless they change something between Roadster and Model S I don't think you'll be able to run the car (HVAC, etc) while the car is charging.
I'm pretty sure they changed many things between the Roadster and the Model S. Also doesn't the Model S have cabin pre-conditioning? This would imply running the HVAC at times while the car is plugged in.

I'm pretty sure they changed many things between the Roadster and the Model S. Also doesn't the Model S have cabin pre-conditioning? This would imply running the HVAC at times while the car is plugged in.

I hope they incorporate this feature into the model s, since it's something that seems like it should be a very basic feature.

Thanks for the link!

I suspect they've said it before, but this is the first time I've seen this in anything official...
To continue the path towards an even lower priced vehicle, Tesla Motors expects to
develop and produce a smaller vehicle, the Gen III in the 2015 to 2018 timeframe. This vehicle
will be comparable in size to a BMW 3-series sedan with class leading range and performance.
Tesla Motors will produce these vehicles in quantities of 100,000 to 200,000 units a year with a
price point in the mid $30,000 range.

I'm almost certain it does have cabin preconditioning. You may have to use the mobile phone app to turn it on but this is something Elon Musk talked about during the October presentation. At that time, he talked about the car automatically keeping the cabin temperature within a certain range so maybe it will take care of that without any user intervention. You would only have to use your phone if you wanted it cooled to a certain temperature, not just a range.

Plugged in != actively charging. I'm sure it will run the HVAC when plugged in but not sure about actively charging. In Norbert's campground example I assumed he was there to charge so my comment was that I wasn't sure if you could cabin HVAC while charging.

It's unclear to me what is meant by "starting the motor." It's not like an ICE which idles when the car is not moving. An electric car's motor is essentially off any time the car is stopped. You turn on the motor by pressing the accelerator pedal.

Man, that's scary! I really, really, really don't want the motor to start when I insert the buckle!

The important question is how to prevent a 4 y/o to start the car. I need to depress the clutch fully and press start (on my stick shift Toyota iQ) which I'm pretty sure you can't do accidentally.

I'm sure you have to step on the brake and shift the "gear" selector stalk on steering column to get the car to move.

Man, that's scary! I really, really, really don't want the motor to start when I insert the buckle!

The important question is how to prevent a 4 y/o to start the car. I need to depress the clutch fully and press start (on my stick shift Toyota iQ) which I'm pretty sure you can't do accidentally.

I presume you have multiple conditions to meet in order to get the car to move. 1. Press brakes; 2. Be seated in drivers seat, thus triggering weight sensor; 3. Insert buckle of seatbelt. 4. Be in drive or reverse.

I suppose a 4 year old could do all of those things, but then you'd have bigger problems to deal with!

The Roadster's motor doesn't start when the car starts. Turning the key just lights up all the displays, and the car makes a "bing-bong" sound so you know it's "on". What is "on" really?

Here's what will happen when the Model S "starts". It will turn on some electronics and light up the displays. It'll run some self-checks on its systems, and then cheerily inform you that it's ready to be driven.

I'm sure it will not let you change out of Park without putting your foot on the brake. So you'll have to hit the brake, switch to Drive, and then move your foot to the accelerator. THEN it will move.

Petition for Exemption From the Federal Motor Vehicle Motor Theft Prevention Standard; TESLA

A Notice by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on 04/13/2012

This document grants in full the petition of Tesla Motors Inc's. (Tesla) for an exemption of the Model S vehicle line in accordance with 49 CFR Part 543, Exemption from the Theft Prevention Standard. This petition is granted, because the agency has determined that the antitheft device to be placed on the line as standard equipment is likely to be as effective in reducing and deterring motor vehicle theft as compliance with the parts-marking requirements of the Theft Prevention Standard 49 CFR Part 541, Federal Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Standard. Tesla requested confidential treatment for specific information in its petition. The agency granted Tesla's request for confidential treatment by a letter dated December 5, 2011.

Larry

From reading the application and the granting of waiver, it looks like the only way to steal a Model S will be with a fork lift. Then you've got to get it out of the area and power disconnected super fast before tracking and notification give you away. Nice to see that apparently no roadsters have ever been stolen.

From reading the application and the granting of waiver, it looks like the only way to steal a Model S will be with a fork lift. Then you've got to get it out of the area and power disconnected super fast before tracking and notification give you away. Nice to see that apparently no roadsters have ever been stolen.

It better be an electric forklift or that would just be sacrilegious!

Or seal it in a metal box first (Faraday cage). Although my iPhone works in my apartment's steel-walled elevator. 8^|