Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S needs a major visual overhaul, and Plaid announcement means it's not happening [Speculation]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought one of the last 2019's with a sunroof over the just released Raven which no longer had that option and I'm so glad I did. Different strokes.... The S design is still very contemporary but I agree, the chrome needs to go and it could use a more aggressive and lowered front end in the plaid so it looks like a 200mph car.
Haha same, I got a 2019/02 Model S with sunroof, the last one shipped to Canada with a sunroof. Definitely a gem :D

Model S Plaid should have a sunroof option, and door pockets!

60 post in one day. Seems just the thread of what hinted of a refresh got people posting. Design language is part of your brand. Tesla must keep the basic design. But there has been so many technical and comfort improvements over the years the the model S and X can take in. Octo valve, battery tech need structure changes. Rear seat comfort is actually better in model 3. I'm a big guy and had trouble getting in to the S due to the B pillar location. There is some dated interior design points too. The driver display is not touch, the funky telescope look is scifi, but should look more like the taycan. I bought a P3D+ because I was tired of waiting for the refresh.

Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
I love opening the sunroof, and I dislike the exhaust smell and the noise from other vehicles, so I end up closing the sunroof. Do people who use the sunroof a lot not have to deal with air and noise pollution, or do they not bother you enough to close the sunroof?

I don't think they bothered me as much in my previous car. I'm wondering if I've gotten accustomed to the clean and quiet experience of an EV, like I'm sensitive to cigarette smoke now that I don't live with people who smoke.

Reactions: Hank42
This sounds quite made up.

The all glass roof was a huge selling point for me, much better than a sunroof imho.

Whether the study was made up or not, I would fall into the crowd that never opens up the sunroof and much prefer the all-glass roof with zero chance of leaky seals.

The first vehicle I bought on my own was a 2006 Tundra Double Cab with a powered rear cabin window. I rolled that down regularly because it really helped circulate the air in the cabin, but I just never cared for sunroofs. I like looking through the all-glass roof of the S without getting baked by the sun.

I love opening the sunroof, and I dislike the exhaust smell and the noise from other vehicles, so I end up closing the sunroof. Do people who use the sunroof a lot not have to deal with air and noise pollution, or do they not bother you enough to close the sunroof?

I don't think they bothered me as much in my previous car. I'm wondering if I've gotten accustomed to the clean and quiet experience of an EV, like I'm sensitive to cigarette smoke now that I don't live with people who smoke.

Ever since we got the S I've noticed I'm more sensitive to the exhaust smell in the garage after my wife leaves for work in her ICE car. It never bothered me before but now it smells putrid.

Reactions: PrGrPa
In the comparison pictures, the Model S shown is NOT a 2020, no matter how you label it. My Raven looks gorgeous, and I don't understand why some want it "refreshed" just for the sake of "refreshing" it. It could use more sound damping, but over eight years and 200,000+ miles I have never had any problems with Service. So, it's just a few places, a few people, that are having trouble, and it's not the norm. Tesla is growing so darned FAST that I can understand how they might be struggling to keep up, but, really, there's hardly any service required. What, you need them to put in windshield washer fluid? There are no oil changes, filters, valve adjustments, exhaust noise or putting dangerous explosive chemicals in a tank. A gallon of gasoline supplies the same explosive force as eight sticks of dynamite.

And as far as the sun roof, Tesla found that only a very small percent ever opened the sunroof. I prefer to leave mine closed, and I'm glad I don't have to pay for the option to open it, while I am able to see up to the clouds and sun quite easily. As for wind whipping through your hairs, there's still working windows.

Some people just like to complain.
Do you have proof of this? Or are you doing your regular fanboy routine?

also you mention ice cars needing “valve adjustments” can you please clarify which valves need to be adjusted on a regular basis? I own an ice and am quite curious what exactly you’re talking about?

I of course won’t hold my breath waiting for your reply because clearly you’re just doing your Tesla fanboy **** and making things up as you go.

A sunroof is a nice idea, but mine occasionally leaks and Tesla service has never completely fixed it. The best attempt was by a ranger who was visiting for tire service and cleaned the drains. Now it leaks less often, but I would definitely get the (non-leaking) glass roof next time.

For me, no thanks on door pockets. No sunroof either. Maybe a better solution for drink cans. Please none of this aggressive crap in styling. I hope this runs its course soon, as it’s really ugly. A minor evolution of the existing design would be fine. As far as the track, the Shelby Daytona coupe was a beautiful car and an outstanding race car. XK Jags the same. It can be done.

Reactions: Hank42 and PrGrPa
I can tell you that only the driver and the front passenger might enjoy a sunroof.

A sun roof is nice when you enter inside a car to let the hot air to escape, however
from my experience with sun roofs or convertibles, setting on the back seat is like hell
as you get all the wind pressure on your face, and noise and turbulence on your eardrums.

LOL, well, for the small percentage that use the sunroof, I have an even smaller percentage of using my backseats. Guess we can get rid of them too!

A sunroof is a nice idea, but mine occasionally leaks and Tesla service has never completely fixed it. The best attempt was by a ranger who was visiting for tire service and cleaned the drains. Now it leaks less often, but I would definitely get the (non-leaking) glass roof next time.

I was worried about leaking sunroof (and noise as well) but after some research I found that the solid roof leaks as well. Hopefully the glass roof is better.

Definitely notice this in town. My commute is about 80/20 hwy vs city so I get to use it mostly when I want. Looking forward to our first fall roadtrip!

I have come from years of T-top and targa top cars (20+ years) and in 3 and a half months of owning the S I have probably had the top open more than any previous time. That might be a slight exaggeration but we haven't even had cool weather for more than a few morning hours where I live yet and I am looking forward to hitting a button to 'pop the top' the next chance I get. I took the targas off so little was actually looking for a solid roof car, glad I 'settled', haha!
I use the sun roof, it will start to make noise sooner than later.

The precept looks interesting but will have to see in person. Honestly I would like an electric vehicle to replace my S that completely does away with current car forms. There is no need for a long trunk, they can figure out safety and push the wheels to the furthest ends and the greenhouse could begin there too like a mid engine vehicle. Could end in a hatchback like a shooting brake, etc. Just thoughts

The all glass roof was a huge selling point for me, much better than a sunroof imho.
My "solid" roof was what I wanted (and shopped for). Didn't want the pano roof that so many love here because it was something that had maintenance issues and wasn't something I would use. Now that the all glass roof is standard, I'm really glad I have the solid roof because it has better sound and thermal insulation: quieter, cooler in summer, warmer in winter. Just another reason to keep my old S as long as I can, even though it has the "gaping fish mouth" nose that I really dislike.

Honestly I would like an electric vehicle to replace my S that completely does away with current car forms. There is no need for a long trunk, they can figure out safety and push the wheels to the furthest ends and the greenhouse could begin there too like a mid engine vehicle. Could end in a hatchback like a shooting brake, etc. Just thoughts

Yeah that’s a no from me dawg.

I’m over the electric cars that lead with design language which can basically be summed up as “I’M ELECTRIC! LOOK AT ME I’M DIFFERENT!”

Make an attractive car that looks like a car. Not everyone wants to drive something that sticks out like a space ship.

• Love
Reactions: tranzndance
LOL, well, for the small percentage that use the sunroof, I have an even smaller percentage of using my backseats. Guess we can get rid of them too!

I was worried about leaking sunroof (and noise as well) but after some research I found that the solid roof leaks as well. Hopefully the glass roof is better.

Definitely notice this in town. My commute is about 80/20 hwy vs city so I get to use it mostly when I want. Looking forward to our first fall roadtrip!

Please point us to references of the solid roof leaking. How is that even possible? I assume you're referring to the all-glass roof and not the metal body-colored roof? The only way I see the all-glass roof leaking is if it was cracked. I suppose it could leak around the edges but that would be possible for the panoramic roof too, in addition to the known leaky issues of the sunroof.

Yeah that’s a no from me dawg.

I’m over the electric cars that lead with design language which can basically be summed up as “I’M ELECTRIC! LOOK AT ME I’M DIFFERENT!”

Make an attractive car that looks like a car. Not everyone wants to drive something that sticks out like a space ship.
Lol same.

I don’t think the model s needs a refresh, but it could definitely use some higher quality materials. And just a little more attention to detail during assembly would be great.

Oh please.

The Model S is an iconic design and is one of the best car designs ever. I wish people would stop with this nonsense of a complete exterior redesign of the Model S. The shape of the Model S is clean, elegant, modern, and timeless. I especially love what a sleeper the Model S design is, especially in the performance trim. Love that it does not have cheap plastic bits glued to it to make it look more "aggressive" or cry out for attention like a 10 year old. By comparison, Those AMG Mercedes cars look tacky AF.

Do people clamor for Porsche to change the look of the 911? Of course not, because they got that design right. While they make subtle enhancements, the core design and look is the same. The Model S is just as good of a design or even better. Franz is a maestro of car design with how great he made a car as large as the Model S look. I hope they keep the shape the same.

I wish they'd keep the EXTERIOR of the Model S the same as much as possible but work to enhance the INTERIOR of the car.
  • For the love of sunlight and fresh air, BRING BACK THE SUNROOF!
  • Better performing exterior headlights. My previous 2009 Mercedes had much better performing Xenon lights.
  • Door pockets and storage.
  • Better and customizable ambient lighting.
  • 360 view and cross traffic alerts.
  • A phone dock that actually let's you ergonomically see the phone display and is in your field of view.
Now having said that, I completely agree that service is a miserable mess and that's something they should fix as quickly as possible. I'd rather go to my dentist than take my car in for service. Service is that bad. Heck I'd count myself lucky if I get my car back without damage and not in worse shape than when I dropped it off. For all they've done to innovate, they've come up with the most miserable car service experience in the industry. No car dealer has treated me this poorly for service.

• You want to talk to someone at the service center? Yeah we don't do that.
  • Aw how adorable! You sent us a little text message via the app. Yeah we'll study your little text message and reply to it if we feel like replying whenever we feel like it.
  • You want a loaner? Yeah we don't do that.
  • You want a defect covered without hassle and argument? Yeah we don't do that. We prefer telling you for weeks and months that it is wear and tear and see if you disappear. Wait, what? You are still here whining about the defect. You are stubborn MF aren't you. Whine a bit more and we'll see what we can do.
  • Can you please work on my car the day I drop it off or may I please bring my car in on another day if you are too busy? Yeah we don't do that. Drop it off within 30 minutes of your time window and get the **** out of here. We'll get to your car in a few days or whenever we want to.
  • And don't bother calling us, we don't waste our time talking to people like you who buy our products.
  • PS: If you want to talk to us, please buy a NEW car. We have people standing by who would love to talk to you about your shiny new car :p:rolleyes:
The only think I find surprising about your post is that 2 people actually disliked it. What?? You totally nailed it. Of every car Tesla makes, the Model S is clearly the nicest looking, and is definitely more beautiful than most sedans on the road, with few exceptions (the Maserati is pretty F'in gorgeous, for one). Can the exterior be tweaked a bit? Sure! A "refresh" is just fine; just don't ruin a beautiful design.

And, yes to everything you said about the interior. No door pockets after 8 years? Ridiculous.

Service is a joke. I really miss the good old days when Tesla employees were truly impassioned to help, and excited to be part of the your experience. How did they lose that?

Reactions: zecar