Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S needs a major visual overhaul, and Plaid announcement means it's not happening [Speculation]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I just like the feel and look of it. I grew up with old, used cars in the family (think vinyl and cracked plastics), so I'm not familiar with true luxury materials. To my untrained eye, Alcantara is a luxury material, much nicer than the thin, cheap-looking cloth that our S and X have now. I've always like suede leather, and Alcantara reminds me of suede, although without the wonderful leather smell.

Ha, me too. Maybe that’s why I don’t like alcantra, it reminds me of the fabric dash covers in our old 1976 Volvo 240 (we used it to cover the cracks). I do miss the leather steering wheel and seats in my BMW 3 series, but not much else.

Reactions: ucmndd
What is used on the dash and headliner of a 2020 Model S? I haven't been to a SC/showroom in a while and didn't think to look the last time I was there. Assuming a bare vinyl dash.
I hope the headliner isn't the same coarse fabric that was on the non-PUP 2014 and earlier models.

Reactions: Jswyft
Not arguing against a physical refresh/overhaul/whatever. However, I do find it encouraging/interesting when over the past two weeks, I've had two complete strangers walk up and compliment the looks of the car ("wow..so sleek, love the shape") , with one asking "what is that? a jaguar?"

Either way, folks still love the look. May help that I have the 21" Arachnids on mine which also improve the look.

Current model S owner here, I doubt it highly I will replace my S with another Tesla unless there are major updates. I will definitely be looking at the EQS, eTron GT, Lucid, etc...

Reasons
  • No major change since 2012
  • AP no real improvement in functionality since AP1
  • Service has become the Walmart of experiences, 6 figure car here.
  • They never fix little issues, led lights that go out within months, door handles, all MCU 1 owners should get replacements, etc

6 figure car. Where have you been the last 4 years. The P100D was much more when it was first released.

This lends more evidence to a new chassis.

Elon Musk: Tesla Model S Plaid To Have Structural Battery, 4680 Cells

Elon Musk has confirmed today that the upcoming Tesla Model S Plaid, scheduled for late 2021, will be equipped with the all-new structural battery pack, consisting of the all-new 4680 lithium-ion cells, announced at Tesla Battery Day.

Tesla's CEO answered Whole Mars Catalog's question "will plaid s have a structural pack? I assume the extra power of the 4680 cells helps?", with a simple "Yeah."

That would explain why the Model S Plaid is not yet ready for the market launch. The company is waiting for the 4680 cells/structural packs to be ready, and the plan is late 2021.

This is by the way the same timeline as for the Tesla Cybertruck, and not far away from Tesla Semi.

The 4680 is a new type of cylindrical cells, currently under development by Tesla. It will store five times more energy, should allow to increase range by 16% (so we expect a corresponding energy density/lower losses) and offer up to six times the power output. The power output and the limited overheating are one of the key factors for the high-performance Plaid car.

This lends more evidence to a new chassis.

Elon Musk: Tesla Model S Plaid To Have Structural Battery, 4680 Cells

Elon Musk has confirmed today that the upcoming Tesla Model S Plaid, scheduled for late 2021, will be equipped with the all-new structural battery pack, consisting of the all-new 4680 lithium-ion cells, announced at Tesla Battery Day.

Tesla's CEO answered Whole Mars Catalog's question "will plaid s have a structural pack? I assume the extra power of the 4680 cells helps?", with a simple "Yeah."

That would explain why the Model S Plaid is not yet ready for the market launch. The company is waiting for the 4680 cells/structural packs to be ready, and the plan is late 2021.

This is by the way the same timeline as for the Tesla Cybertruck, and not far away from Tesla Semi.

The 4680 is a new type of cylindrical cells, currently under development by Tesla. It will store five times more energy, should allow to increase range by 16% (so we expect a corresponding energy density/lower losses) and offer up to six times the power output. The power output and the limited overheating are one of the key factors for the high-performance Plaid car.
Didn't Elon once say something to the effect that the plaid S was too complicated and it was going to be simplified? Just speculating, but the original 2020 plan may have had a double thick pack or whatever the roadster prototypes have used to get the necessary power out of the pack, and putting the plaid off a year simplifies it because it can then use the 4680 and next-generation pack design without much modification.

Edit - I just found a link from April

Tesla will simplify the construction of Plaid for Model S | FREE NEWS

Last edited:
We will likely see a redesign of the S & X before S Plaid is released. Compared to 3/Y, S/X are relatively complex to manufacture - and these lower volume vehicles are built on separate production lines. It's likely S/X will be redesigned to simplify manufacturing and allow both vehicles to be produced on the same line.

And while Tesla is simplifying the design, that's when it makes most sense to refresh both the interior and exterior design for both vehicles.

Patience...

Reactions: 5JMJ and FreqFlyer
Alcantara is the pinnacle of automotive luxury.

in 2002.

Let’s leave it there. ;)

Completely agree. Our 2013 Lexus LS 460 has a beautiful interior but I couldn't care less regarding the Alcantara headliner in it. It looks like velvet to me and am so glad Tesla stopped using it (or a lookalike of it) for the top of the dash.

I was surprised S/X (combined) only comprise 10% of 3rd quarter sales. Around NorCal, yes I see a lot of 3 (and more Ys now) but there have always been an abundance of S/X...hmm, maybe not new ones.