Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Nose Cone Designs (Prototype, Alpha, Beta and beyond)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can we get something similar (if not CF, atleast metal mesh) on the Model S?! Pretty please...

I was told by reps in the Fashion Island store that the Model S performance edition would have carbon fiber in the nose and along the bottom lip in the front of the car.

I don't know what that means exactly but something similar to the Model X prototype seems like a good bet.

For non-performance buyers you might be out of luck.

I'm sure we'll be seeing some mods done to the cars. I sorta liked the alpha that had no T on the grille, but instead had it on the hood. I'd like to see someone do that (remove the "T" and chrome). Perhaps someone OTHER than carbonone (or w/e he goes by these days) can make aftermarket CF noses

While digging through some old files I found this:

display_data.php.jpg

Judging from the Model X invitations, they still haven't gotten a decent artist to do flyers/invites :)

Nose treatment

Anyone know what happened to this design front end without the grille/nosecone. The current model looks too Audi-Jaguar-ICE like for me and an earlier design looks MUCH MUCH better in my opinion.

25-tesla-model-s-development.jpg

26-tesla-model-s-development.jpg

It seems that the Model S is all about efficiency and performance and the current front end looks like a styling gimmick.

Brian

This is from the alpha testing prototypes. It's mainly missing the bump out and the T, but I don't think it was ever considered a viable production version. There's a whole thread dedicated to the various facelifts the nose cone has seen.

It seems that the Model S is all about efficiency and performance and the current front end looks like a styling gimmick.

Brian

With a Cd of 0.22, that's no gimmick. And to achieve 0.22 WITH style is a good thing. The difference between the Cd on this vehicle and the Cd in the beta is probably pretty minimal. But the fact that you like this nose better...well, I guess tastes vary. Can't please everyone. I don't think anyone's getting the Model S they built in their mind.

I agree with @brians! I not only like this better, I like this a lot better. If I knew that this would be next years model, I would wait! If it was a part of the performance option, it would clinch the extra $$ for this option. I've posted this before, I believe that in the current nose the design emulates the grill of an ICE that they are struggling to differentiate themselves from. This was a move in the wrong direction IMO.

When this alpha nose was first revealed, people were bitching about it non-stop. Now that Tesla has changed it to look more like the prototype, people want the alpha nose. The grass is always greener....

I am fine with the new nose cone. Getting some people to buy an EV is tough enough. Many people don't want the car to be too far out there on looks. The EV component is enough for them. The car is already amazing looking. This is all subjective of course.

To me the Model S looks so "me too" or "19th century" that the nose doesn't really bother me. I'm getting it for the high tech and will live with the antiquated styling.

Anyone know what happened to this design front end without the grille/nosecone. The current model looks too Audi-Jaguar-ICE like for me and an earlier design looks MUCH MUCH better in my opinion.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum.

Personally I would prefer no nosecone whatsoever.

However, I suppose it may serve a function, such as permitting access or being replaceable in the event of minor front-end damage. The bumper resides behind the nosecone and this area of the car is one area most prone to bumps and scrapes, so replacing this small area would be better than replacing the entire front-end.

In the event the nosecone does serve a function, and must be there, then I agree I prefer the earlier design, but I would like to see the Tesla T added.

Larry