Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Nose Cone Designs (Prototype, Alpha, Beta and beyond)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still liked the prototype better. The Alpha look is all right, but the prototype one seemed to have a less generic look to me.
Agreed. For me it's less about the grill and more those lower air intakes on either side of the chin. I realize they're functional, so they don't bother me too much, but they do make the front end of the Alphas look less elegant than what I saw at the LA premier. They give a less classy, more sporty vibe.

Agreed. For me it's less about the grill and more those lower air intakes on either side of the chin. I realize they're functional, so they don't bother me too much, but they do make the front end of the Alphas look less elegant than what I saw at the LA premier. They give a less classy, more sporty vibe.

I dislike the whiskered lower intakes too. Both the front and rear panels on the prototype car are better looking.

I still liked the prototype better. The Alpha look is all right, but the prototype one seemed to have a less generic look to me.

What I meant was that I think it's sexier than the first alpha front end (paint job looks great!). I'd still pick the prototype over the alpha, but this looks much better to me than the "Alpha hits the road" shots.

I think the reason the prototype looks better is less about the grille than it is about the whiskers, light pipes, and air intakes.

Some new pics of the front grill. TM still shows the Alpha with the "new" grill. I really hope it's not the final grill.

may2011_2.jpg

may2011_1.jpg

may2011_3.jpg

They look very similar.

The lower black section is a lot shinier on the alpha. Not sure if that's an improvement or not.

Some of the alpha pictures seem to have narrower chrome on the lower section, which looks a lot more like the prototype. I definitely prefer that. I like the strong chrome on the upper part and thin on the lower; it looks more subtle and somehow makes the grille look like less of a large open maw.

Exactly how I see it.

+1. Although I'd agree with the conclusion that it's probably the black color on the alpha in the new pics that's bringing out the chrome of the grille even more than the silver or the maroon/red did on the prototype, the proto did have a "thicker upper lip", if you will, and that looked good!

Maroon prototype - front grille - thick upper lip