Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Nose Cone Designs (Prototype, Alpha, Beta and beyond)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why not... with EU Plate... guessing on it's location...

Tesla_ModelS_Mesh_EUPlate.png

The chrome mesh is too but maybe a black chrome mesh may do the trick. Who knows maybe TM will offer options on the grill (mesh or concept/alpha grill). The mesh will be for those that want the bling and the concept/alpha grill will be for those that want to be a little understated.

In various colors....

Those are some impressive Photoshop skills you've got there. :biggrin:

I think the mesh grill looks funny with the "whiskers" but I also think the "whiskers" are here to stay for now due to the condenser (or whatever it was, I can't remember exactly) that's behind them for the A/C. I like how they've gone back a design that was a lot closer to the prototype.

I like how they've gone back a design that was a lot closer to the prototype.

I think we're looking at close to what has been the planned design for awhile now and not a regression in designs--after all, the current front end is similar to the latest prototype front end. I think the original alpha images just showed an incomplete front end (this one is likely incomplete as well).

Yeah, I guess it's more of the grill that looks like the prototype and not the entire front end. That being said the Model S design will probably continue to be tweaked a couple of times before a final, production design is chosen/revealed.

Avanti style?

Despite being electric, the Model S looks like a conventional car, with a long hood capped by a blacked-out snout that gives the impression of a large radiator grille. In fact, just three small heat exchangers sit behind the front bumper; one is down low in the center for motor and battery coolant and one lies below each of the headlights for cabin cooling. A computer-controlled shutter system blocks off the radiator openings when they’re not needed.
Chief designer Franz von Holzhausen says the Model S has a conventional “face” and proportions—never mind that freakish width—to make customers who might be cross-shopping the car against a BMW or an Audi more comfortable with the Tesla. Once the brand is established, he hopes to push the design more to take advantage of the unconventional powertrain, and “expand the notion of what a car is supposed to look like.”
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/11q3/2012_tesla_model_s_riding_shotgun-future_cars

Reviving this in the hope that my incessant griping about this will get noticed :smile:

I know folks have had fairly favorable reactions to the nose of the Model S as seen in the betas (Model S Gallery | Tesla Motors) but, to me, it's the sole bit of imperfection left in what's otherwise a perfect car! The betas' nose is so bland, bald, glossy and meh (to use a popular word going around these days!) that it detracts from all the beautiful lines and curves otherwise!

Given what we've seen from the X prototype (with CF? straddling the T logo for the width of the grill at the top),

attachment.php?attachmentid=4242.jpg

Can we get something similar (if not CF, atleast metal mesh) on the Model S?! Pretty please...

Last edited: