Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Order & Delivery Tracker - Q1 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, more than 30 days later order but only 2 business day delivery delay.

Does that mean they are making more? Getting less orders? or irrelevant in general?

No, it's not irrelevant. What it means is that we're approaching the end of the quarter. And like every quarter before it, Tesla is aiming to pack in as many deliveries as they can by Mar 31st. Last quarter, everyone in the U.S. who confirmed by Nov 15th received their car by Dec 31st.

I've always been concerned about build quality suffering during these end-of-quarter pushes. With so many vehicles rolling off the line, they can't be undergoing as much quality control.

I delayed my delivery until April in an effort to avoid getting an end-of-quarter car and would have delayed even further but I need the car in May.

@Mayhemm,

Did you come to this conclusion with any evidence (besides the obvious logical concern you and I both share)? I'm in a position to easily postpone my delivery and wouldn't want to rush it at the cost of quality. That said, I don't want to delay it just because of some perception that may not have any validity.

I would email my DS, but for obvious reasons I think they're skewed in one direction on this argument.

I get mine 2 day ago !!

nlc = delivery date 02/13/2014
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Babe is at home !!!! :love::love:

20140215_114147.jpg

20140215_150418_19430.jpg

Congrats GregH and NLC! only about 9 more sleeps until my delivery. Still love seeing pictures though after looking at dozens of pics of other people's deliveries it seems surreal that I might be taking pictures of my own delivery soon. I took my first test drive around 10 months ago.

- - - Updated - - -

@Mayhemm,

Did you come to this conclusion with any evidence (besides the obvious logical concern you and I both share)? I'm in a position to easily postpone my delivery and wouldn't want to rush it at the cost of quality. That said, I don't want to delay it just because of some perception that may not have any validity.

I would email my DS, but for obvious reasons I think they're skewed in one direction on this argument.

I'm not sure if they were actually boosting production - not sure if they were able to increase shifts or if they had the ability to just turn up capacity; however, one thing I remember from December is that the delivery process was definitely boosted. People were getting calls from DSs on Sundays etc. Anyway, I don't think you can count on improved quality by waiting or timing the order. They are clearly trying to ramp up production overall and you could find that in a few months the production level has gone up drastically which could mean new equipment, staff, processes, or whatever. Either way, we are all benefiting from the patience and diligence of the many early adopters.

@Mayhemm:

I am in a position where I can easily push the delivery back, if there's any benefit. Aside from the obvious concern we both have about production rate, did you ever come across any data that showed this was truly an issue? Just curious.

@Mayhemm,

No. No real empirical proof. Just something I was concerned about that didn't really cost me anything to address (I didn't want the car until Spring anyway)

Since you're in California and don't have to worry about winter, I wouldn't delay your order unless you have financial or other reasons to do so (waiting for current lease to expire, pending arrangements for financing, etc)

People have had problems with cars from the beginning of a quarter too, so that's no guarantee. And many many more have had no problems at all, regardless of when their car was built.

Just go for it. I'm sure you'll love the car.