Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
White Model S from HK
10930932_10205908712305017_1202922875888246180_n.jpg
10940529_10205908712865031_6409832956571913062_n.jpg

The whole black vs. chrome thing is generational because of different attitudes. Black is the color that shows attitude. Black is "bad." Chrome shines, which connotes beauty and status. Picture cowboys wearing black hats and cowboys wearing white hats, it's a similar deal. I bet music choices vary between the black trim and chrome trim types!

Inspired by franknesss' Model S, I had the chrome trim blacked out with glossy vinyl on my red P85D when it went in for full Xpel wrap and window tint at Northwest Auto Salon.

I absolutely love the look. The gloss black trim looks like it came from the factory. It ties in nicely with the gloss black pieces along side of the pano roof. Tesla should totally offer black chrome as a factory option.

Note, the car is super glossy with the Xpel, as you can see from the first photo. For whatever reason, it just looks matte under the diffused lighting of the photo booth.

(pictures removed)

Thanks to frankness and EarlyAdopter I have now changed my P85D order from Pearl White to MC Red. I was planning to replace my pearl white P85 with a pearl white P85D but after seeing how great the red looks with blacked out chrome made it an easy decision to switch.

The whole black vs. chrome thing is generational because of different attitudes. Black is the color that shows attitude. Black is "bad." Chrome shines, which connotes beauty and status. Picture cowboys wearing black hats and cowboys wearing white hats, it's a similar deal. I bet music choices vary between the black trim and chrome trim types!
I think blacked out chrome on this car looks so out of place for a futuristic, chrome electric powered beauty.
Black chrome makes it look so monotone.

I think blacked out chrome on this car looks so out of place for a futuristic, chrome electric powered beauty.
Black chrome makes it look so monotone.

Both of these perspectives seek to understand. Personal taste is just that - personal. They have had all black cars forever...the original cars only came in black, then in the 50s it was a single stage paint for your hot rod, revived today and actually called "hot rod black". I personally look at the chrome and think 'bling bling'...BMW charges for taking chrome away and call it "the sport package". In fact, most car companies making a statement about their car releases usually offer an all black edition for a premium price. My point (aside from saying I clearly like the black look) is there is something for everyone out there....I dont ever look at it as "black vs. chrome" - just personalization.