Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Performance Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like that 'Situation Plaid' channel and/or it's Plaid video uploads are now all gone. Interesting...
I noticed that yesterday too! Very strange. I wonder if he got in trouble for going 160+ on small public roads in multiple videos

He said something about "local Karens" so perhaps posting videos of going 155 in the neighbourhood and also standing in front of his own house wasn't the best move. I was expecting to see the first 200mph video from him once the limits got taken away. I'm sure he'll be back.

Reactions: omarsultan
He said something about "local Karens" so perhaps posting videos of going 155 in the neighbourhood and also standing in front of his own house wasn't the best move. I was expecting to see the first 200mph video from him once the limits got taken away. I'm sure he'll be back.

Yeah true, the camera man should never have shown the speedometer. Or atleast blurred it out.

OK, smart folks, question for you. Attached is a chart the take my 4 Dragy runs and plots speed (MPH, x-axis) vs time (seconds, y-axis). For each run, there is a hockey stick above 54 MPH. Thoughts on why--because this is consistent, I am assuming this is the car's programming.

runs.png

OK, smart folks, question for you. Attached is a chart the take my 4 Dragy runs and plots speed (MPH, x-axis) vs time (seconds, y-axis). For each run, there is a hockey stick above 54 MPH. Thoughts on why--becaused this is consistent, I am assuming this is the car's programming.
I think it is easier to look at with the axis flipped. The car has a fixed torque limit which gives you the different first slopes. Then different fixed power limits.

The curious thing is why would Tesla pick combinations of torque and power limits where that transition happens at exactly 54mph?

OK, smart folks, question for you. Attached is a chart the take my 4 Dragy runs and plots speed (MPH, x-axis) vs time (seconds, y-axis). For each run, there is a hockey stick above 54 MPH. Thoughts on why--because this is consistent, I am assuming this is the car's programming.

View attachment 682436
I'm not following. Every Dragy run you've posted shows a linear speed increase and a basically flat g response.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/5660326/

I graphed the run from this user's video to 90mph. It's basically a flat speed response. Maybe you could post your data?
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/5668407/
Dragy.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 682436
Hi @omarsultan, I was able to come up with a possibility for you.
If the MPH axis has been treated like a time axis in seconds you will see a jump from 54mph = 0.54 to 60mph = 1.00
By multiplying your time axis by MPH/100 I replicated your problem.

I think your issue may be one of graphing.

Dragy2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @omarsultan, I was able to come up with a possibility for you.
If the MPH axis has been treated like a time axis in seconds you will see a jump from 54mph = 0.54 to 60mph = 1.00
By multiplying your time axis by MPH/100 I replicated your problem.

I think your issue may be one of graphing.

View attachment 682508
Yeah, you are right--I was not looking at this the right way--still all new to me. Thx.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Annoying on the reduced power but yeah they seem to do that, however I thought they were good for a high 10 at least.
Same. Hoping to get a better run in soon

View attachment 682436
I noticed that on some of your Dragy times the pic showed weird, I think 6mph, incrementals that seemed way faster before 60. Maybe this lines up with those numbers?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
A couple of random tidbits:
  • Today I did 0-60 runs today at 100% SOC and 40% SOC and they both yielded 2.3s/2.1s. This is consistent with my other runs which are about around 70-80% SOC, so yay for consistency
  • I found you can put the Dragy in the front charger cradle and it get still get satellite lock, so no more tape donuts :)

A couple of random tidbits:
  • Today I did 0-60 runs today at 100% SOC and 40% SOC and they both yielded 2.3s/2.1s. This is consistent with my other runs which are about around 70-80% SOC, so yay for consistency
  • I found you can put the Dragy in the front charger cradle and it get still get satellite lock, so no more tape donuts :)

Excellent data, @omarsultan. Thanks for sharing, really appreciate it.

Did you guys see Dodge is now teasing a 2024 muscle car EV with design cues from the 1969 charger? They are claiming it would have around 886 HP with 0-60 in as little as 2 seconds with as much as 500 miles of range. Competition is good but that is a long way off. GM and Ford better get moving lol.

Good luck catching up with Tesla. By the time that thing rolls around we will all be in the 8's.