Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously doubt they will make EAP/FSD a standard feature and add the cost to the car. Notice that they revised the cost of the P100D DOWN because they realized that they overpriced the car when a full-equipped model started approaching $160K. The Model S base prices will no go up any further and will only come down as costs come down and there is competition. At the moment they have almost no competition. This will change in a year or two.

So, please stop worrying about EAP/FSD becoming a feature you have to pay for in the form of it becoming a standard feature at a higher base cost.
They don't have to make it standard on base, they could package it for example as part of the "premium package". That would keep the base price low, yet have most people pay for it because they want heated seats, or upgraded audio, or power liftgate. Historically, ever since its introduction, the premium package was designed such that it contained at least one feature important to people. At first it was the power liftgate, now the sub-zero or UHF. The price of the premium package has also been going up (started at $3K, now $5K for S, $6K for X). Add EAP to it and make it $9,500 for the S, and they can claim they are actually discounting it, but it is doing exactly what the letter said, increase profit margins by bundling options.

Reactions: MarkS22
Glad to help WhiteX understand the difference between max power, battery vs. max power, motor... the truth will set you free :cool:

upload_2018-2-7_21-5-52-png.278774

You are right Mr. Monday Night Quarterback. The numbers are out there TODAY, but those numbers were not known until after P90D was released and Tesla finally came clean on the P85D numbers.

For those who have not been with Tesla that long, here is a sneak peak how Tesla marketing works. The only spec when ordering P85D is shown below. Note how the hp is listed the same across all the models (so is the 0-60 even though it turned out later that the P85D, and only the P85D result was using a 3ft rollout while the others did not, making it look like the car is full 2.0s faster than 85D, which it was not).
View attachment 278832

Then JB tried to give people one BS excuse: Tesla All Wheel Drive (Dual Motor) Power and Torque Specifications

Then finally, Tesla came clean as they got sued in Europe:
View attachment 278833

Bottom line, they made it look like for $25K you get a 2.0s faster 0-60mph car with 315hp more than 85D, but in reality it was a less than 1.0s faster car (since 85D number is without rollout) with barely 26hp extra (less than 1/10 of what they deceived people to think). They hid it well for a while too, telling us how the P85D is not producing full power just yet but it will soon via the over the air update that never came. This was in the Design Studio Order Page:
View attachment 278834

Sound familiar? Yep, FSD description contains even more legal CYA than this. Oh, I also know what you will argue. If there was any update that made the P85D faster by a billionth of a nano-second 0-60, then they met the letter of their update promise. Agreed, this is why I say if summoned car takes 4 billion years to find you, they met the letter of their FSD commitment. It takes 1000 years to start moving by the way and if you die during that 1000 years, summon is cancelled for safety reasons (no need to meet a dead person).

PS> Did you notice 85KWh battery spec? That also turned out to be 81KWh total, 77KWh usable, so another example of Tesla marketing - they will round up numbers like 81 to 85. Here even 85D owners got duped.

Anyhow, these are the facts. Make your own judgement whether this is genius Elon marketing or total deception.

Last edited:
Glad to help WhiteX understand the difference between max power, battery vs. max power, motor... the truth will set you free :cool:

Yea, we get it. You will defend Tesla using every way possible by interpreting their commitments in the most narrow way possible. Using your logic, FSD delivered in 4 billion years is still considered delivering what the customers paid for today. Tesla marketing has been getting better and better at the legal CYA. Now, how do you justify AP1 promise of "you'll be able to summon the car anywhere on private property" with "the car using the sensors to find its way wherever you are"? Are you one of those claiming it's still coming to AP1? In how many years?
Link to Elon promising it here.

Defending Elon's promises is not a path to success - hence so many of his top people departing.

Last edited:
ca·ve·at emp·tor
ˌkavēˌät ˈem(p)ˌtôr/
noun
  1. the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

logomachy
1 : a dispute over or about words
2 : a controversy marked by verbiage

Neither of these words appear anywhere on the Tesla communications, so I guess we're just playing "word of the day"?

I remember AP1 sales folk stating traffic light recognition was definitely around the corner and anticipate it within 6 months. This was Nov 2015.

Well, they said anticipate it. not expect it :D Looks like they absolutely delivered on the anticipation!

I anticipate all sorts of great things coming my way one day... I anticipate the day my AP1 P85D meets me at my front door as I warily leave my front door in the morning with a cup of coffee as I drive to the Tesla delivery center to take delivery of my FSD Tesla with the interior update, new 2170 battery architecture, and auto wipers that work at night :p

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Brettski and DÆrik
Well, they said anticipate it. not expect it :D Looks like they absolutely delivered on the anticipation!

I anticipate all sorts of great things coming my way one day... I anticipate the day my AP1 P85D meets me at my front door as I warily leave my front door in the morning with a cup of coffee as I drive to the Tesla delivery center to take delivery of my FSD Tesla with the interior update, new 2170 battery architecture, and auto wipers that work at night :p

I think any court of law would consider the ‘spirit and intent’ of the message. Especially within the confines of a sale of a product.

In the end was I led to believe something which utter fiction? Yes. Was I supposed to do my due diligence and become an expert in self driving technology in order to verify their statement? No. It would be an unreasonable expectation for any consumer.

In the end, Tesla are masters of spinning fiction into fact. Am I happy nonetheless for my purchase
...damn straight!!

The 18650s in Model S/X can also simply be explained by the Gigafactory ramp-up issues, though. It seems less likely Tesla would want to endanger the Model 3 ramp-up by moving cells/packs to Model S/X, until they are getting sufficient numbers of them for Model 3?

We already have the past rumor that the Model S/X refresh (dash, battery) was delayed to late 2018. It still seems quite plausible to me that 21-70s were at least planned for Model S/X in 2018, but whether delays affect them for the whole year seems unknown.

Read my lips; no battery cell change coming for S/X and no interior refresh. They flat out have said no now on the cell change and where they’re headed flat out makes a refresh not make sense.

Carry on.

Logomachy!

That's what you used to dispel my position that the P85D generates the stated HP numbers when going down a really steep hill :D
No, I was using:

physics
noun
the branch of science concerned with the nature and properties of matter and energy. The subject matter of physics, distinguished from that of chemistry and biology, includes mechanics, heat, light and other radiation, sound, electricity, magnetism, and the structure of atoms.​

:p

Read my lips; no battery cell change coming for S/X and no interior refresh. They flat out have said no now on the cell change and where they’re headed flat out makes a refresh not make sense.

Carry on.

We can agree to disagree, I'm sure. IMO I expect an interior refresh and a battery cell change coming to Model S/X.

IMO what we don't know is when. The best I can do to summarize that here: Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD post #56

Reactions: MarkS22
Status
Not open for further replies.