Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE Mark22]

Again I don't buy the "we don't have the resources because the 3 is our focus." They made the decision to support a complete energy/solar panel division. This is draining financial and executive resources at the very least.[/QUOTE]

?

You don’t believe shortage if resources but then list a resource drain?

Every other car manufacturer has a lineup of different models segmented on slightly different wheelbases and features. I don’t see why Tesla should be any different. MS and M3 will always appeal to different demographics with MS having healthier profit margin for now. If Tesla doesn’t update features and options on MS, the risk is more from outside competition like Porsche than internal cannibalization.

Because Tesla isn’t every other OEM. They are growing 50% yoy, they are doing something never done before, they aren’t about the bottom line except to be able to continue to grow to reach their ultimate goal.

This isn’t your daddy’s car company.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
While there hasn't been any official word from Tesla, as there never are of any future changes, there are specific rumors of an interior upgrade as well as larger batteries.

One can of course choose to disbelieve them, but I don't see how Tesla PR to the contrary can be any proof. Their interest and history is not telling us beforehand.

Model 3 production hell could easily explain delaying already planned (and thus leaked) Model S/X changes that could still come later this year.

That said, I am not completely dismissing the Model S/X cancellation idea (and letting it languish until then). That theory has some appeal. But IMO I think it is too soon for that probably - and unlikely anyway.

Not true, there have been lots of hints over the years about impending improvements for S.

If you think Model 3 has delayed a refresh then Model Y will further delay it, then Semi, then Roadster, then pickup, and more gigafactories and so on... That was the point of me mentioning all the future stuff coming sooner rather than later.

Every other car manufacturer has a lineup of different models segmented on slightly different wheelbases and features. I don’t see why Tesla should be any different. MS and M3 will always appeal to different demographics with MS having healthier profit margin for now. If Tesla doesn’t update features and options on MS, the risk is more from outside competition like Porsche than internal cannibalization.

Of course I agree your scenario is the most likely one, that Tesla will maintain/expand different model segments.

However a couple of notes:

- Lack of big battery car options have redirected an unusual mix of people to Models S/X. Model 3 may cannibalize Model S/X more than usual, because of this - especially if they let the product otherwise languish.

- Tesla is known for their dramatic production changes at any moment and of having ambitions in revolutionizing car manufacturing. Dropping a now old-fashioned production of Model S/X in favor of something new seems more likely with Tesla than with someone else.

Still, IMO I find most likely Model S/X will continue and will receive significant interior, battery and some exterior upgrades in the coming months. But many things are possible, of course.

Not true, there have been lots of hints over the years about impending improvements for S.

If you think Model 3 has delayed a refresh then Model Y will further delay it, then Semi, then Roadster, then pickup, and more gigafactories and so on... That was the point of me mentioning all the future stuff coming sooner rather than later.

I see the logic in your post, if it was just about assessing plausibility, I would simply agree your scenario is plausible.

But given your opinion is more dramatic than that, my opinion differs somewhat. IMO we can't jus dismiss the rumors of the refreshes that do exist, assuming we believe they are not fake rumors of course (it is possible they are fake, but IMO they seem plausible).

Model Y/Semi/Roadster seem far-enough away, and Model 3 ramp problematic-enough (especially margin-wise), that the viability of Model S/X would still quite potentially seem relevant in the next year or two.

If Tesla has worked on that like the rumors suggest, then they might well be close enough to release those changes even if the focus is shifting. Keeping Model S/X viable through 2018 and into 2019, IMO would benefit from upgrades hopefully sooner rather than later.

We shall see. I respect your opinion and speculation, it is helpful IMO.

I see the logic in your post, if it was just about assessing plausibility, I would simply agree your scenario is plausible.

But given your opinion is more dramatic than that, my opinion differs somewhat. IMO we can't jus dismiss the rumors of the refreshes that do exist, assuming we believe they are not fake rumors of course (it is possible they are fake, but IMO they seem plausible).

Model Y/Semi/Roadster seem far-enough away, and Model 3 ramp problematic-enough (especially margin-wise), that the viability of Model S/X would still quite potentially seem relevant in the next year or two.

If Tesla has worked on that like the rumors suggest, then they might well be close enough to release those changes even if the focus is shifting. Keeping Model S/X viable through 2018 and into 2019, IMO would benefit from upgrades hopefully sooner rather than later.

We shall see. I respect your opinion and speculation, it is helpful IMO.

Rumours are just that. Rumours. Remember that people. No basis in fact and only opinions! Whether we see refresh or not, driving a Tesla still brings a smile to my face every single day.

Rumours are just that. Rumours. Remember that people. No basis in fact and only opinions! Whether we see refresh or not, driving a Tesla still brings a smile to my face every single day.
Yes, that's true, but it would make sense to see some bigger differentiation factors now that the model 3 is out. Although the 3 will better fulfill their mission, continuing to improve their flagship car, at least as it has been would only make sense imo. This is especially true when you see the 3 having features that the model s/x don't even have.

Status
Not open for further replies.