Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe they just LOVE how people bought cars in the 1990s where you have to go to the dealership and someone had to look up what cars were available :)

Most car makers have allowed you to order the car you want for many years. My father has ordered his cars from GM and Ford since the 50s and my SO ordered her last Subaru Impreza in 2012. They don't advertise it, but the capability has been there.

until charging stations become as ubiquitous as gas stations and as fast as fueling a gasser yes in the long road trip mode the gasser could be seen as better...

In practice quite the opposite is true, as most Tesla owners do 99% of their charging at home at night, when neither speed nor availability of energy are an issue. For most owners, Superchargers are the rare exception, used only when driving further than 100 miles from home. Do I miss standing next to a gasoline pump at 10 degrees with the wind howling? No, I don't. With a gasoline vehicle, that's the only option.

In practice quite the opposite is true, as most Tesla owners do 99% of their charging at home at night, when neither speed nor availability of energy are an issue. For most owners, Superchargers are the rare exception, used only when driving further than 100 miles from home. Do I miss standing next to a gasoline pump at 10 degrees with the wind howling? No, I don't. With a gasoline vehicle, that's the only option.

Ironically, I had much more “range anxiety” with a gasoline car. All those times you forget to fill up and you’re running late. Or, having to debate stopping on the way home from a long day or leaving early the next morning.

Waking up every morning with a “full tank” and never having to go to a gas station saves me a lot more time than an occasional Supercharger on a road trip.

Last edited:
Or they are listening to me?
I don't want - Doorpockets
I don't want - Seatpockets
I don't want - Armrest in back seats
I already put in a - Dual Phone charger
I don't want - Hooks for clothes
Only change to be made is - Console has more space - but not all that important

The S is a luxury car, not a moving van. Wifey's Camry has all that storage and more and often smells because she forgot her hamburger in a doorpocket. I much prefer not having numerous pockets full of crap I don't actually use. Sunglasses and driving gloves fit under the screen. Drink holders work well enough, what else are you in instant need of while driving?

The S is a luxury car, not a moving van. Wifey's Camry has all that storage and more and often smells because she forgot her hamburger in a doorpocket. I much prefer not having numerous pockets full of crap I don't actually use. Sunglasses and driving gloves fit under the screen. Drink holders work well enough, what else are you in instant need of while driving?

Spoken like a true European driver driving in Europe. For years that’s how people drove in Europe. They didn’t drink coffee and drive, eat and drive, shave and drive, read the paper and drive, apply mascara and drive, or bake an apple pie and drive. They just drove. Now they’ve become more like us terminally distracted US drivers. You could tell their resolve was starting to wobble when the more popular European marques, as a concession to US consumers started installing, gasp! cupholders!

For many of us, it’s the perfect family car. With young children and a dog, it’s nice to have all that room (and safety) without compromising performance. I don’t know about “instant need” but being able to hide a stroller under the trunk floor or have an extra pair of clothes and diapers in the frunk makes it pretty versatile.

The fact it appeals to such diverse groups for different reasons is a testament to its design.

There will clearly not be any big overhauls for the X/S during 2017. The incremental improvements will continue. Tesla will focus on pushing for X/S by expanding to new markets where sales will be a non issue. For existing markets they will accept a decline in incoming orders for X/S. Full focus on Model 3 ramp.

It just not an option to increase capex for bigger X/S improvements. That will just be a big negative at the end of the day.

Those who waited for the "big change" probably got to wait another year...

There will clearly not be any big overhauls for the X/S during 2017. The incremental improvements will continue. Tesla will focus on pushing for X/S by expanding to new markets where sales will be a non issue. For existing markets they will accept a decline in incoming orders for X/S. Full focus on Model 3 ramp.

It just not an option to increase capex for bigger X/S improvements. That will just be a big negative at the end of the day.

Those who waited for the "big change" probably got to wait another year...

We are waiting for an update/refresh before replacing our P85D and I doubt we are the only ones waiting for an interior update before placing an order. The current interior is from 2012 when Tesla had far fewer resources and especially with the Model 3 now out and having seen the new Roadster interior with better placed display and sleeker screen, I like the new interior design language so the sooner they update the sooner they will see a huge bump in sales.

Last time I checked, the Model S/X are what pays their bills before the Model 3 ramps up... The Model S needs some love :)

We are waiting for an update/refresh before replacing our P85D and I doubt we are the only ones waiting for an interior update before placing an order. The current interior is from 2012 when Tesla had far fewer resources and especially with the Model 3 now out and having seen the new Roadster interior with better placed display and sleeker screen, I like the new interior design language so the sooner they update the sooner they will see a huge bump in sales.

Last time I checked, the Model S/X are what pays their bills before the Model 3 ramps up... The Model S needs some love :)
Agreed. Heck, I'd be happy if they updated the center console screen to a higher resolution with faster cpu/gpu and made the taillights that sexy liquidish red like the MX has on the MS.

Reactions: evster and P85Dave
Agreed. Heck, I'd be happy if they updated the center console screen to a higher resolution with faster cpu/gpu and made the taillights that sexy liquidish red like the MX has on the MS.

The screen definitely needs and update, with the Model 3 screen being more fluid to use.

I also like the auto closing doors of the Model X and how the wood trim wraps around the door... Would also like some door pockets where I can stow a small umbrella and a couple of other small items, especially when traveling.

I am 100% sure that we will see the Model S update before Porsche releases the Mission E.

From Tesla Q4 ‘17 Update Letter released today:
“We expect Model S and Model X gross margins to increase in 2018 with improved trim mix and option content, lower cost of acquisition and lower manufacturing costs.”

F%^$!@#*! I foresee EAP and/or FSD becoming standard as part of the "improved option content" since it's a quick way to increase gross margin. I'm not happy because I am still waiting on my insurance company to determine whether my wife's 2017 MS is s total loss after an accident, and the replacement car will already be over $3K more expensive than what I paid of it for the original new car a year ago, plus it comes with options I don't want like glass roof or non-plus air suspension.

Another reason why they might just do that is that it removes the clearly defined price for the features, you know, for down the line when people sue Tesla that their 10 year old Tesla's still don't live up to claims like:
Elon-Summon-2016.png

Tesla will still have their standard "the car is capable, but not some crucial piece of it like software or sensors" as they did with the "691hp capable car but not the battery", but since since they had to settle on that issue in Europe, I'm sure they'd like some more legal CYA. Or maybe they'll have a new excuse like "the car would be capable but it's broken out of warranty and to fix it it will cost $100K for which you get a brand new car".

Last edited:
Ok Looks like the motor and pac to be changed to mirror the 3 in the third quarter. Have no info if the interior upgrade is tied to this or will roll out 4rth quarter or first quarter of 2019. Like Dave I’m chomping at the bit to trade up my P85D but as I will be keeping my next Tesla for several years I will wait till all the greatest and latest changes to finally occur.

F%^$!@#*! I foresee EAP and/or FSD becoming standard as part of the "improved option content" since it's a quick way to increase gross margin. I'm not happy because I am still waiting on my insurance company to determine whether my wife's 2017 MS is s total loss after an accident, and the replacement car will already be over $3K more expensive than what I paid of it for the original new car a year ago, plus it comes with options I don't want like glass roof or non-plus air suspension.

Another reason why they might just do that is that it removes the clearly defined price for the features, you know, for down the line when people sue Tesla that their 10 year old Tesla's still don't live up to claims like:
View attachment 278722

Tesla will still have their standard "the car is capable, but not some crucial piece of it like software or sensors" as they did with the "691hp capable car but not the battery", but since since they had to settle on that issue in Europe, I'm sure they'd like some more legal CYA. Or maybe they'll have a new excuse like "the car would be capable but it's broken out of warranty and to fix it it will cost $100K for which you get a brand new car".

I seriously doubt they will make EAP/FSD a standard feature and add the cost to the car. Notice that they revised the cost of the P100D DOWN because they realized that they overpriced the car when a full-equipped model started approaching $160K. The Model S base prices will no go up any further and will only come down as costs come down and there is competition. At the moment they have almost no competition. This will change in a year or two.

So, please stop worrying about EAP/FSD becoming a feature you have to pay for in the form of it becoming a standard feature at a higher base cost.

As for Elon's Tweet:

He said quite clearly the car will eventually find you. Notice there is no time frame there.

So when Tesla eventually releases the promised features for AP, then your car will eventually find you :p

As long as time exists, there is still time to deliver what was promised. :D

Last edited:
These are terrific examples of improvements that can (will?) be made incrementally, just has occurred for the past many years. A major downside to Tesla revealing a big design change for Model S is they would instantly frustrate tens of thousands of very recent buyers of that model. Reminds me of when they changed the nose...many embraced the 'classic' look but many others were frustrated at just having bought a car that was suddenly the 'outdated' nose.

Looks like continued use of 18650 form factor through the end of 2018 per the recent letter
I agree with your observation, and this surprises me...perhaps the biggest surprise of today's release IMO. One way to ensure lack of cannibalization of S by 3 is to get the S range extended materially...presumably via the newer form factor. I can only conclude they need all of the new production batteries for 3.

I agree with your observation, and this surprises me...perhaps the biggest surprise of today's release IMO. One way to ensure lack of cannibalization of S by 3 is to get the S range extended materially...presumably via the newer form factor. I can only conclude they need all of the new production batteries for 3.
Another way is to have a 2 year wait for new Model 3 orders and and hold back the $35K version for a while. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.