Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A CPO search for a white 60D,75D,85D,90D, or 100D MS yielded 0 matches - and that's not even considering any other criteria like our two must-haves - white and winter package, and two must-not-haves - black seats and 21" tires. On the bright side, Tesla found us an unclaimed car about to enter production (likely a planned inventory/demo car or a cancelled order) which was almost exactly what we would order today, so I didn't waste any time and went with it. Car should be here by end of March, so happy wife, happy life... :)

Good stuff, didn't they discontinue white?

I think #1 is very unlikely. #2 is interesting - what context was DMC_Ryans comments in? Real curious what info he would have that’s not already out there
Listen to Episode 131: Rethinking the Model 3

Episode 131: Rethinking the Performance Model 3 - Ride the Lightning: Tesla Motors Unofficial Podcast

It happens very early in the episode and then there is a little slip I noticed a little farther in the episode where he hints at a refresh. We'll find out if my mind reading is any good in a few months or maybe I'm just a creative dreamer.

@DMC_Ryan references that he was glad he didn't say anything in Episode 132. Again, I admire his integrity for this.

Source? I'm pretty sure the Model 3 is a permanent magnet (DC) motor and the S/X are induction (AC) motors so even less shared parts.

I guess the exact details are rumor, but with the performance update last year Elon did say the S/X was getting a new motor and inverter and I could have sworn he said the inverter was from the Model 3, but I can't find the reference right now. Electrek speculates the new motor comes from the Model 3, or has some tech borrowed from the M3.

Tesla upgrades its electric motor on the road to have powertrains lasting 1 million miles

It makes sense for Tesla to share as much as possible between the cars. The Model S update in 2016 was almost all Model X tech ported to the Model S. The 70->75 KWH battery update was done to share the same module between the larger and smaller battery packs.

Reactions: MountainRatMat
From the Model X, I wish they ported the self closing doors. That and the better designed interior of the doors with the wood trim and door pockets are what I wish the most they transferred to the S from the X.
I feel the opposite, I prefer doors with actual handles rather than touch pads. Those doors were one of the reasons why I never got an X, even though that was my original plan.

I feel the opposite, I prefer doors with actual handles rather than touch pads. Those doors were one of the reasons why I never got an X, even though that was my original plan.

You do realize you can turn the automatic door feature OFF right? And then use it like a regular door?

Your logic makes no sense whatsoever given that the reason they have a touch panel in the Model X doors is to avoid the reliability issues of the Model S door handles. So you would prefer Model S style door handles which may fail to a solid state touch panel? :confused:

So with this knowledge you can now place an order for a Model X. :D

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
I guess the exact details are rumor, but with the performance update last year Elon did say the S/X was getting a new motor and inverter and I could have sworn he said the inverter was from the Model 3, but I can't find the reference right now. Electrek speculates the new motor comes from the Model 3, or has some tech borrowed from the M3.

Tesla upgrades its electric motor on the road to have powertrains lasting 1 million miles

It makes sense for Tesla to share as much as possible between the cars. The Model S update in 2016 was almost all Model X tech ported to the Model S. The 70->75 KWH battery update was done to share the same module between the larger and smaller battery packs.

I seriously doubt that Tesla could have gone to PM motors on the S/X without this forum finding out and melting down. That would be a major change. I expect it will happen at some point.

Reactions: bhzmark
You do realize you can turn the automatic door feature OFF right? And then use it like a regular door?
And door handles automatically appear, or did you mean you can use it "like a car door without handles", which I'm not sure I would call "like a regular car door".

Your logic makes no sense whatsoever given that the reason they have a touch panel in the Model X doors is to avoid the reliability issues of the Model S door handles. So you would prefer Model S style door handles which may fail to a solid state touch panel? :confused:
Using the glass as a door handle sure sounds much less reliable that a retractable door handle. Yes I know you're "supposed" to grab the metal part, but it's not what people intuitively grab. I don't think Model X covers broken door glass used as a door handle under warranty, but Model S does cover broken door handles. :p Also, if you're going to argue reliability of the retractable door handles, you need to consider the reliability of the falcon doors. If they can make those reliable, why do you think they couldn't do a simple retractable handle?

Last edited:
This is the most depressing thread. Every new post I click immediately hoping for good news but no luck.

I have a P85D (that has been flawless) lease ending in June. I need to order a new P100D X to replace it and I am convinced it be a replay of the P85D. I took delivery a month before the P90D announcement.

Oh well - I have enjoyed the P85D thoroughly...

• Funny
Reactions: MountainRatMat
This is the most depressing thread. Every new post I click immediately hoping for good news but no luck.

I have a P85D (that has been flawless) lease ending in June. I need to order a new P100D X to replace it and I am convinced it be a replay of the P85D. I took delivery a month before the P90D announcement.

Then you'll likely enjoy the P100D as well, even if P120Q comes shortly thereafter. I'm love my P85D with Plus suspension and plan to hang onto it for a while. P90D coming few months after I got it, and then P100D debut didn't spoil it a single bit.

Then you'll likely enjoy the P100D as well, even if P120Q comes shortly thereafter. I'm love my P85D with Plus suspension and plan to hang onto it for a while. P90D coming few months after I got it, and then P100D debut didn't spoil it a single bit.

That would be true if my dad didn't go out and buy the P100D. Now I am the slow old outdated version model S in the family now.

• Funny
Reactions: jelloslug
That would be true if my dad didn't go out and buy the P100D. Now I am the slow old outdated version model S in the family now.
You do know that your new Tesla will be just a slow or slower, just not as outdated. On paper, S P85DL is 0.1s faster 0-60mph than X P100DL. If you want to match your dad in speed, you'll need to get the S P100D. If you dad has the X on the other hand, then the S will give you the faster car.

I'm in the same boat (and almost the same zip code!). Another pal of mine 'round these parts was able to extend his lease by 6 months, which may buy more time for either an interior refresh or whatever. It's worth a call to see what options you might have in the regard. I'd be fine extending my P85D for an additional six months, if I could land the next iteration. Unfortunately, "Tesla time" rarely offers us any degree of certainty in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.