Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also don't agree Model S/X are old. Model X is barely two years old. As to the Model S, I can't really imagine how you could improve much on its quite timeless exterior design. The interior doesn't need an overhaul either imo (I can imagine some "nice to have" things being added, like a ski trap/middle armrest for the back seats, some storage space in the doors (how difficult can that be) or even -tadaaa- a couple of free coat hooks:)) but otherwise I think, as always, progress will be incremental and behind the scenes (faster UI, adding some more redundancy, higher definition screens, etc.). Is your two-year old MX so "old" that you would today buy something different? What exactly would you buy that is "less old"? A PowerPoint presentation?

There's two types of people in this world Carl. Those who love PowerPoint and those who don't.

• Funny
Reactions: MrCube and Joe F
This thread was started 5 1/2 months ago. It needs a title change as the word imminent is no longer applicable in any sense.

I hope no one has been holding their breath all this time waiting for this rumored/speculated/wishful thinking event to happen.

I’ll throw my hat in and say ain’t gonna happen. There are more important things for Tesla to do.

Reactions: croman and PrGrPa
This thread was started 5 1/2 months ago. It needs a title change as the word imminent is no longer applicable in any sense.

I hope no one has been holding their breath all this time waiting for this rumored/speculated/wishful thinking event to happen.

I’ll throw my hat in and say ain’t gonna happen. There are more important things for Tesla to do.

Join me on the new thread! :)

Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD

Then again, the direction is all wrong now!

Tesla drops Alcantara headliners from Model S/X?

Still, that AR HUD is going to be great.

Join me on the new thread! :)

Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD

Then again, the direction is all wrong now!

Tesla drops Alcantara headliners from Model S/X?

Still, that AR HUD is going to be great.

Most of that stuff is listed as AP 2/2.5 vehicles which means it includes Model 3s so that can all be forgotten about in context.

Changing the headliner material does not hit my definition of a major/significant/or otherwise synonym interior refresh. *yawn* Another 20 pages of foot stomping over on the Model 3 OMG! No alcantara headliner thread, though, might get Tesla to order it from some obscure third world country.

Then the rumor is Q2 or 3. So still not imminent. Add additional Tesla time and I might be dead before it happens, which means from my POV I win.

Tesla just updated a number of images on the web page showing the interior with the new back seat etc. Not sure they would have done that effort if there was a interior overhaul coming up in the next 3-6 months? Why not wait additional few months if there are bigger changes coming? Also a lot of new press images showing Model S from the back that was published in 2018. Why take all those if the rear is getting a re-design shortly?

interior 1.png

interior 2.png

It's a valid point.

It also a valid way for Tesla to quash the mounting rumours of a refresh which is affecting sales, albeit, I imagine, to a minor degree.

Since most rumours/leaks have indicated a refresh in the March-June 2018 window, then updating their website neither surprises me, nor negates my beliefs that an upcoming refresh is still on the horizon.

Come next year Tesla will have much more competition. In terms of a release date for a refresh, the question for Tesla is whether they want to be considered ahead of the competition or not.

When you see cars like this on the video, below, beautiful on the outside (not so much inside though) and already driving around at Level 4, you know Tesla really need a refresh soon (on all fronts, especially AP2) and up their game, or they'll lose us to Porsche et al. It has to happen, and happen soon. Musk isn't dumb. He's every bit as good at marketing as Apple.

Tesla just updated a number of images on the web page showing the interior with the new back seat etc. Not sure they would have done that effort if there was a interior overhaul coming up in the next 3-6 months? Why not wait additional few months if there are bigger changes coming? Also a lot of new press images showing Model S from the back that was published in 2018. Why take all those if the rear is getting a re-design shortly?

View attachment 272693

View attachment 272694

Pushing S/X update to next year makes perfect sense. There will still be almost zero competition in 2018 from VW-group and the few cars that comes to market in the S/X-segment this year will be low volume products and for sure lack charging infrastructure. Take the Jaguar i-Pace for instance. Sure, cool car, but charging speeds/infrastructure will be a limiting factor the 2 coming years.

Tesla can make bigger changes to the S/X and push it another year and instead release a new car 2019 that will be more competitive with the propositions from the European car manufacturers.

There will be no S/X refresh in 2018, maybe in 2019. Why? Because there is no need for it .There is 0 competition. Once other manufacturers EVs start coming in 2019 which can compete with S/X, then Tesla will do refresh which will wipe floor with all of them ( 130kW-150kW pack, premium interior, HUD, AP 3.0 with LIDAR). Every owner of S/X will want to upgrade and forget about other EV cars immediately.

There will be no S/X refresh in 2018, maybe in 2019. Why? Because there is no need for it .There is 0 competition. Once other manufacturers EVs start coming in 2019 which can compete with S/X, then Tesla will do refresh which will wipe floor with all of them ( 130kW-150kW pack, premium interior, HUD, AP 3.0 with LIDAR). Every owner of S/X will want to upgrade and forget about other EV cars immediately.
Zero competition?
Why did Tesla ever do P85D, there was not a single electric car that could beat Model S P85 so why make even faster acceleration?

Teslas goal is to accelerate the adoption of EV and to do that they can’t just focus on them how already want a EV, they need to get people who otherwise would have bought a car with combustion engine to get a EV. Tesla Model S biggest competitors isn’t Chevrolet Bolt, it’s BMW 7-Series, Audi A8, Mercedes and so on and there they are long way after in interior quality. If they release an really great update of the interior in Q2 they will take more sales from combustion engine and hopefully make the other manufacturers push even harder on EVs so that they can compete and that will lead to faster adoption for BEV.

Reactions: MrCube and henderrj

There is tons of competition, if you want an EV, the 3 is a far far better deal. If you just want a big luxury car, then there are the slew of German competitors. According to Tesla they can do FSD on AP 2.0, so there is no need for LIDAR.

Right now the biggest thing keeping the S alive is the production issues with the 3.

Reactions: bhzmark
Status
Not open for further replies.