Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, after listening to Elon Musk latest podcast with Ryan McCaffrey, around 19mins in, the subject of a Heads up Display came up. Elon Musk made it very clear that he finds a HUD “annoying and completely pointless” especially when FSD arrives he said you don’t need to see information on the windshield at that point..

So, I believe this totally answers the question if a HUD will come soon or ever in the Model S. The short answer. No. Elon Musk finds it dumb lol

• Informative
Reactions: Inside and Zoomit
So, after listening to Elon Musk latest podcast with Ryan McCaffrey, around 19mins in, the subject of a Heads up Display came up. Elon Musk made it very clear that he finds a HUD “annoying and completely pointless” especially when FSD arrives he said you don’t need to see information on the windshield at that point..

So, I believe this totally answers the question if a HUD will come soon or ever in the Model S. The short answer. No. Elon Musk finds it dumb lol

That certainly rules out instrument cluster as well it seems...

I’m gonna throw out a guess that they announce the refreshed car two weeks or so into Q2. This will prevent anyone using their seven day return policy from the end of Q1 and people with the old car will be somewhat pleased that they got in on the tax credit.

The new cars will be announced with a higher MSRP and a 3-style interior for September deliveries. This would clear out any existing S/X inventory for customers who want the “classic” layout and lower price.

This strategy would create plenty of classic S/X sales for Q2, get the market primed for the new version, and give Wall Street something to shut them up. All right in time to knock the Taycan and EQC down a few pegs during their launches.

My $0.02. Don’t spend it all in one place.

My $0.02 is that Elon is making a HUGE mistake if the refreshed Model S/X interior looks like a Model 3 interior. Having the IC (binnacle) in front of the driver is much better than having to take your eyes off of the road to look at a center screen.

All other premium brands (Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, and BMW) will have killer EV interiors. There is no way I would trade in my 2016 Model S and spend twice as much money as a Model 3 to get a Model 3 interior.

My $0.02 is that Elon is making a HUGE mistake if the refreshed Model S/X interior looks like a Model 3 interior. Having the IC (binnacle) in front of the driver is much better than having to take your eyes off of the road to look at a center screen.

All other premium brands (Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, and BMW) will have killer EV interiors. There is no way I would trade in my 2016 Model S and spend twice as much money as a Model 3 to get a Model 3 interior.

Exactly. Model 3 features and pricing already narrows the market of people that can justifying paying a 2X premium. But pay $40K-$50K more to get substantially the same interior ?

Tesla has also provided no promotional, advertising or marketing support to maintain a premium, flagship image and features for the S and significantly distinguish it from the 3. Why not?

Further, without any exterior styling changes, I don't see reviving S sales to former levels. I am sure Tesla will change wheels and lights to freshen things up, but sheet metal changes are probably needed too.

Elon is a minimalist. I've seen pictures of him in his office, he has a large empty, modernistic desk, a computer, and pretty much nothing else. I think he has ADD and many people with ADD who are successful learn to minimize their environment so they can concentrate. He brings that over into his cars and while some people like it, most hate it. The Model S initially didn't have a center console, but they eventually relented and included it.

Going minimalist on the Model S/X without a very big price drop is going to kill demand entirely. Even with a big price drop demand will be likely be weak.

A little more info and some clarification. There will be a super thin Landscape center screen, a small readout for speed and other functions in front of the driver and a similar readout in front of the passenger with a G meter. I guess they are making this symmetrical for switching over to British/ Japanese markets. New door cards with pockets, Trim that wraps from the dash to around the doors. New seats. this should tie in when the drivetrain refresh comes out in about two months. The active suspension will not be constant electro magnet ( eats up too much juice) but rather settings on the air suspension for sport, comfort etc. There will be new headlights and taillights but sitting in the same nacels. There will be active aero for the rear wing and on the front bumper. The new computer will be massively more powerful for the self driving functions.
Too many rumors and speculation. All I know is that the Tesla Models S & X have dated interiors and not worth the price tage of circa $130K. Damn, just too expensive.

Too many rumors and speculation. All I know is that the Tesla Models S & X have dated interiors

Nothing wrong with the interior, nothing dated about it. You want to end up something ugly inside and out just because they want to differentiate from others and themselves every 3 years, buy a Subaru. You can't keep changing something to look different and have it be better every time. Porsche has effectively been making the same car half a century, works for them.

Nothing wrong with the interior, nothing dated about it. You want to end up something ugly inside and out just because they want to differentiate from others and themselves every 3 years, buy a Subaru. You can't keep changing something to look different and have it be better every time. Porsche has effectively been making the same car half a century, works for them.

True- but they have a LONG way to go to catch up with Porsche when it comes to build quality, reliability, customer service, etc.

True- but they have a LONG way to go to catch up with Porsche when it comes to build quality, reliability, customer service, etc.
They could sell twice as many cars if they changed nothing about the car but this. You have long term owners (like myself) who are filled with dread or regret over buying a new one, or just not bothering to.

I think Tesla may be just biding their time as they engineer in new Maxwell battery & super capacitor tech. Keep it mostly the same, put in tech improvements, then wow us next year with a redesigned exterior (more 2020 roadster looking), replace the battery pack with a 120kw Maxwell dry anode pack, add a 15kw super capacitor booster pack for that 15 seconds of instant 75 miles of driving distance, and finally AP4 computer. At that time I think they would easily justify the $145k price tag again.

But until then, just keep trickling in small improvements, keep dropping the price every 3 months or so by $1k or $2k. Seems a good strategy to do so. Essentially I agree with the above sentiments.

They could sell twice as many cars if they changed nothing about the car but this. You have long term owners (like myself) who are filled with dread or regret over buying a new one, or just not bothering to.

You obviously never experienced the Thermal Reactor, Carrera 4S, Intermediate Bearing , etc adventures. If you had, you too would have completed your work with the products of Zuffenhausen.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtndrew1
Not even as a small buffer for the regen or the raven electric suspension?

Regen tops out at what 60kW? Supercharging is allowed up to 250kW at low SoC...

Is the Raven suspension really electric? Tesla calls it an adaptive air suspension. (I don't think it is a magnetic suspension system.)

I think the largest capacitor they have holds 0.00303750 kWh. So it would take ~6 of those to absorb a single second of 60kW regen. Which would add ~3kg of weight to the car. So no, if you have the space and weight allowance to add supercapacitors to your car you could get better performance, and value, by just adding more 18660, or 2170, cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.