Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More information from Electrek... Tesla announces Model S with 'Plaid powertrain' and new 'chassis prototype' - Electrek

Tesla said that the Model S had a ‘Plaid powertrain’, which hints to a new powertrain above the ‘Ludicrous’ powertrain, and a new ‘chassis prototype’. With this new version of the Model S, Tesla completed a 1:36.555 lap time – achieving a new record lap for a four-door sedan:

That’s a big improvement over the previous best time in a Tesla Model S P100D. Last year, Tesla’s development team ended taking the Laguna Seca production EV record with a 1:43 time. Tesla has yet to release any other details about the new powertrain or chassis nor any plan to make the new version of the Model S available to customers. Tesla on Twitter

I think a 200kwh battery would and should be the next step- just offer 100 and 200. Or eventually make them all 200 and software limit to 100/ 150. 5-600 mile range would be killer- i think the battery in these cars is the weakest point: styling can always vary but the battery should be the best teched item in the car- then the motors.

Finally, the first official datapoint from the company that supports a significant update that if not imminent, is at least visible somewhere down the road. After almost 3000 posts, this thread is finally justified!

LOL....

one more year to go for a refresh........

But that isn't going to be a refresh, it is a new trim level. There is no indication that any changes will be made to the existing trims. (Short Range/Long Range/Performance.)

I think a 200kwh battery would and should be the next step- just offer 100 and 200. Or eventually make them all 200 and software limit to 100/ 150. 5-600 mile range would be killer- i think the battery in these cars is the weakest point: styling can always vary but the battery should be the best teched item in the car- then the motors.
I couldn’t agree more, a 500 mile range model s would be fantastic.

I couldn’t agree more, a 500 mile range model s would be fantastic.

Tesla is struggling to make enough batteries to meet demand now. I don't think they will be expanding the size of the pack on anything but limited production cars (like the Roadster and possibly P S/X) for the foreseeable future, but a 500 mile standard S would make it the perfect long road trip car regardless of the weather.

With a 500 mile car, winter road trips of some distance are no problem and road trips that don't involve days of driving can be done on one charge. It makes destination chargers more important. For people who want to do 800 miles in a day, you only need to make one stop.

For day to day driving it doesn't make much sense though. You'd rarely run down the battery more than 10% from wherever your charge setting was unless you only charge once a week.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
Tesla is struggling to make enough batteries to meet demand now. I don't think they will be expanding the size of the pack on anything but limited production cars (like the Roadster and possibly P S/X) for the foreseeable future, but a 500 mile standard S would make it the perfect long road trip car regardless of the weather.
I’m sure they are increasing production of battery cells at GF1
Wouldn’t make sense if they weren’t.

Yeah, but the production increase is slated for Storage, Model 3, Model Y, Pickup, Roadster, and Semi.

Remember the S&X use cells from Japan, not from GF1. And unless Panasonic starts ramping way faster than they have been there won't be any extra cells available to convert the S&X from 18650 to 2170.

Maybe in a few years once Tesla gets their own Maxwell based cell production lines going they will be able to make the transition. But there is also the fact that JB said that performance of a S/X with 2170s would be worse than the ones with 18650. (2170 is optimized for density/cost while 18650s have are more suited for performance.)

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors

There have been stories this year that Panasonic's cell production ramp at GF1 has been slower than Tesla would like.

Yeah, but the production increase is slated for Storage, Model 3, Model Y, Pickup, Roadster, and Semi.

Remember the S&X use cells from Japan, not from GF1. And unless Panasonic starts ramping way faster than they have been there won't be any extra cells available to convert the S&X from 18650 to 2170.

Maybe in a few years once Tesla gets their own Maxwell based cell production lines going they will be able to make the transition. But there is also the fact that JB said that performance of a S/X with 2170s would be worse than the ones with 18650. (2170 is optimized for density/cost while 18650s have are more suited for performance.)

Tesla probably doesn't want to make two different pack designs for the S/X, but the standard S/X could be converted to 2170s at some point and it probably wouldn't make much difference for performance. But the supply of 2170s is too limited right now.

1. Don't draw any conclusions based on the red car with all the bolt-on aero changes. It is just and old shell covering the new drivetrain. Heck, even the interior that was shown in the Laguna Seca car was DATED. It had the alcantara on the dashboard and the old alu-trim. So that one also an OLD car on top of thew new drivetrain.

2. The P100D+ nomenclature does not mean anything, it's just a prototype. Tesla will never ever go back to the PxxxD nomenclature after having moved away from it for Model 3 and the Raven update. The + is just like the other aestetic bolt-ons and it's that old dated Model S shell all over the place.

3. Tesla REALLY need to update the Model S exterior. At least the headlight and the rear light cluster. The rear lights looks so dated that it's an eye sore. Model 3 and Model X rear lights look much better in comparison.

4. The new Plaid drivetrain deserve a new updated design. It will do with some small design cues that put the car into 2020 and away from the dated 2013 cues. It is not about the lines (they are perfect), it's about the details. like the LED lights, LED strips, Indicators and placement of some of the chrome parts front/back.

1. Don't draw any conclusions based on the red car with all the bolt-on aero changes. It is just and old shell covering the new drivetrain. Heck, even the interior that was shown in the Laguna Seca car was DATED. It had the alcantara on the dashboard and the old alu-trim. So that one also an OLD car on top of thew new drivetrain.

2. The P100D+ nomenclature does not mean anything, it's just a prototype. Tesla will never ever go back to the PxxxD nomenclature after having moved away from it for Model 3 and the Raven update. The + is just like the other aestetic bolt-ons and it's that old dated Model S shell all over the place.

3. Tesla REALLY need to update the Model S exterior. At least the headlight and the rear light cluster. The rear lights looks so dated that it's an eye sore. Model 3 and Model X rear lights look much better in comparison.

4. The new Plaid drivetrain deserve a new updated design. It will do with some small design cues that put the car into 2020 and away from the dated 2013 cues. It is not about the lines (they are perfect), it's about the details. like the LED lights, LED strips, Indicators and placement of some of the chrome parts front/back.

^^^^ yup

Status
Not open for further replies.