Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it looks like confirmation of a "new" car (new chassis) after eight years. This will be Tesla first replacement of a selling product, a definite tight rope walk and I can imagine the howls of protest from those that unknowingly bought the last batch of the present gen. Refresh usually means a nip and tuck, change some headlights here or there. A new generation is just that......A new generation.
Buyers of the current cars are getting a lower price.

It's said they could use other manufacturer's 4680 cells (LG-Chem etc.).

Furthermore, @Nyjets1982 got confirmation from Tesla that he's getting a newer battery pack, we're all just waiting for his delivery.
As I said, my hat will be at the ready.

There’s zero chance there’s a majorly refreshed Model X sitting at a random Tesla store in Florida waiting to be delivered on Friday that nobody has managed to notice yet.

Tesla sales advisors are usually about 60% as educated on Tesla stuff as the average poster on this forum.

Supposed to pick my S LR+ next Thursday (in Sweden). Having such a hard time deciding if I should go for it or not. Native CCS port for faster charging would be really nice since we're limited to around 145 kW on V3 / other HPC on S/X.

That price bump and march-delivery timeline odd. Even my DS said that they're speculating internally.

They have shut down the line for longer periods in the past for maintenance. I think they have built some cars on spec that are sitting around waiting for buyers. I looked up the wait times for cars the other day in response to another thread and the wait time is only 2-3 weeks to Portland for 3, Y, and S LR. The S Performance and X have 6-8 week lag times.

I think the S and X are sharing production lines now, so they only build one at a time and they probably only build S Performance to order because sales are down due to the Plaid Osbourning the model. It sounds like they have extra Ss sitting around and they plan to only make X in the new year. Part of the shutdown may be retooling for Model X and they might include some minor updates as part of it, but I would not expect a major update with only an 18 day shutdown with a week of that being Christmas week.

Reactions: SmartElectric
[/QUOTE] I thinkk the S and X are sharing production lines now, so they only build one at a time and they probably only build S Performance to order because sales are down due to the Plaid Osbourning the model. [/QUOTE]

When I toured the factory they were building S and X on the same line, not in batches, but intermingled. Unless that’s changed they don’t build one at a time...

• Informative
Not slow, necessarily, but potentially such a large issue that it would be worthwhile to wait until there's a reason to combine it with other major changes as well, hence an entirely new model/platform.

For all we know, most or all of these crash tests were accomplished via computer simulations earlier this year. But all of this is pure speculation, of course.

Reactions: MC3OZ
So this is all anecdotal but as pertinent as at least half the posts I’ve read this week; so here goes.

Mom has been on the sidelines wanting a tesla for the right reasons but not ready for other good reasons. When I texted her this morning about the free year supercharging on model Y if delivered by EOY, she bit.

1 hour later; order placed, financing figured and approved...I called back my local rep. and he said that during their morning sales meeting there was still a 99% chance of having the vehicle delivered by EOY if order was finalized today.
This is in Fremont, Ca., so experiences could vary by location.

The rep also mentioned that they are soliciting help from volunteers for moving and washing Teslas to facilitate the EOY sales push. (My 7 yo son said “please papa, can we go wash some Y’s for Elon”)...If only my wife wouldn’t murder me for turning down overtime at work in exchange for washing Teslas for free

• Funny
That would be much sooner than expected. But maybe!

The reddit leaker bigteslaguy stated that the refresh would use 18650 cells. He was spot on about the Model 3 refresh that came out recently. So I think his info was at least correct / current at the time he shared. That said, I'm sure the battery will be a major step up in cooling and supercharging capabilities.

For what it's worth another reddit user TheMightyFuji has made some interesting comments replying to a posts speculating the S refresh would include 4680s. He claims to work for Tesla in battery manufacturing. He gently implies the cell form factor is not changing and also that the refresh Model S will beat Lucid's EPA range.

"I have a friend at Lucid and I told him that the Air is a fantastic car and they should be proud of it. Its just bad luck for them that it will be obsolete before it ever rolls out of the factory."

See this thread on reddit while you can:
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...j?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Status
Not open for further replies.