Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BigTeslaGuy who has been accurate, leaked that the refresh will have 3 screens. If you are wondering what 3 screens will look like, here is 4 screens on the lucid air,

View attachment 617505

Lots of fresh technology and ideas in the Lucid. I wish it was not 12-18 months out.

Lucid certainly is on Tesla's radar screen, as the dramatic Model S price drop shows.

The question is, has Tesla developed a NIH mindset? I would not mind at all if Tesla borrowed, or one-upped, a few Lucid ideas.

...if there is an MCU3 on the horizon, it should be ARM-based. Better performance per watt than the relatively power-hungry Intel chips. Tesla wouldn't be using actual Apple Silicon but "standard" ARM chips.
What is your take on Tesla using the rumored upcoming GPU from AMD? Are there reference ARM CPU implementations using high end AMD GPUs? I know ARM CPU is more power efficient but aren't most implementations of discrete GPUs on x64, other than Apple's proprietary implementation?

Last edited:
6ewlJFAs2Et7beorWxbjmSfPQN7nOkLXiJSJE6PpYyo.jpg

From Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor..._refresh_render_unofficial_thoughts/?sort=new

Thinking this is not a new platform but an re engineered 8 year old chassis. We would be seeing new prototypes by now if a new chassis. Also, new chassis means new higher costs in new certifications and test crashes. Using present chassis saves alot of money till Plaid (rumor on Reddit is that is when the "new" S debuts). Beginning to think the 18 day shutdown ( need more time than that for re tooling a factory) is not going to lead to as big of changes as some think.

Reactions: ucmndd
I think is odd is that if there IS a significant Model S refresh in early 2021, then that would seem to be a big change very close to ANOTHER big change in late 2021, when Plaid is due.

Who says everything gets updated at once? Tesla has a record of tricking out improvements as they are ready instead of doing them all at once on a model year.
Last year Tesla updated the Model S with the Raven suspension, which seems good enough for Plaid.
Maybe this shut down is to update the interior and/or switch to the heat pump and octovalve.
Then in Q3 2021 switch to 4680 cells powering the 3 motor Plaid drivetrain.

I'm pretty sure the 4680s are necessary to supply the current for Plaid but the current batteries are working fine for non performance versions. In the S Tesla may also switch to 4680s without changing to a structural battery to avoid recertification and new crash tests.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Ordered my Model S back in October and was told 5-9 weeks and the website said Dec 9 -19 delivery but then it disappeared and now says 5-9 weeks from order date. If this means I have a chance at getting a refreshed model s great! But man if I have to wait this long It better be a refresh

Reactions: FlatSix911
Ordered my Model S back in October and was told 5-9 weeks and the website said Dec 9 -19 delivery but then it disappeared and now says 5-9 weeks from order date. If this means I have a chance at getting a refreshed model s great! But man if I have to wait this long It better be a refresh

We did our test drive last week, and the advisor seemed to pushing the inventory cars. Looking on the site moments ago, delivery estimates are 8-12 weeks.

Think I will wait a few more weeks to order in case of a refresh. That should drain the pipeline of "older" models.

We did our test drive last week, and the advisor seemed to pushing the inventory cars. Looking on the site moments ago, delivery estimates are 8-12 weeks.

Think I will wait a few more weeks to order in case of a refresh. That should drain the pipeline of "older" models.
If the refresh is confirmed before my delivery i will probably wait, if not I will just take delivery the current S is still a great car!

Reactions: SmartElectric
What is your take on Tesla using the rumored upcoming GPU from AMD? Are there reference ARM CPU implementations using high end AMD GPUs? I know ARM CPU is more power efficient but aren't most implementations of discrete GPUs on x64, other than Apple's proprietary implementation?
I’m not aware (other than the new Mac models) of ARM architecture using discrete GPU. So if the referenced leak is accurate it looks like Tesla will be sticking with x64.
I hadn’t seen the linked article until just now.

If all those things happen, nobody will deny that there has been a MAJOR update to the Model S. "Not as big of changes" will make even less sense then. Those three together constitute big changes.
I agree, but consider the context where we have people running around here imagining a ground-up redesign complete with new structural batteries emanating from a magic secret factory that hasn’t been built yet hitting the streets in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.