Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. My fear is that Tesla will make changes to the S and X to make them more similar to Model 3/Y and cheaper to build and support. With only a horizontal screen, e.g., they would need only one version of the firmware to operate the screens instead of the two (or more?) they have now, for the horizontal and vertical formats. That would probably save them a lot of trouble, time and effort in maintaining and improving the firmware over time. I could perhaps live with with a horizontal screen (if it were nicely integrated into the dash) but only if they keep the instrument cluster. And I would not want them to replace the Model S/X steering wheel and associated controls with the cheaper/simpler Model 3/Y version, which forces you to use the center screen for more adjustments. But total standardization of the firmware would require one single horizontal screen and the same steering wheel controls, so I fear that is the direction they will go.
If there is an updated interior, I hope it allows more choices of colors and finishes. This business of only allowing three arbitrary combinations is ridiculous at this premium price point.
I also dread the possible exterior changes. Right now, even a 2012 Model S is still a beautiful car, and still looks modern to my eyes. I would not mind some minor tweaks, but I hope Tesla does not make changes just for change sake, or for "fashion" sake. Better headlights might be good (but only if they do not coast a zillion dollars to replace when broken) and maybe a horizontal light bar in the rear as a token to today's style (and how about amber turn signals in the rear while they are at it), but nothing too drastic, please. I'd hope to see the sunroof option again, but I won't hold my breath.
Unfortunately, I suspect they would not fix some of the functional things people have long complained about, such as the large un-wiped areas of the windshield, the lack of defroster vents for the side windows (ridiculous for this price point), lack of adjustable shoulder belts, and the various noise and air leaks (much of which comes from the frameless windows they insist on using).
Oh, and keys. I'd hate to lose my fob -- it has not failed me, and I am wary of relying on my phone as the key.
If they replace the heater with a heat pump, which seems promising for efficiency and effectiveness, I hope they use one large enough for the larger interior volume of the S and X, and don't just try to "make do" with the 3/Y version....and that they have done some through thorough cold weather testing.
Count me as pessimistic, I guess. Hopefully we will know more next week at the earnings call....
What are your thoughts on the cybertruck screen? The massive Landscape screen. I would think that the S and X would have something similar to that. Anywhere from what it is now to the four screen system some people have mocked up is probably possible.

upload_2021-1-23_19-37-45.png

:D

I thought I read somewhere about a report of not one (like the 3/Y) and not two (current S/X) but actually THREE screens in a refreshed S, no? Anyone else or was I just dreaming....

Yep, I think on Reddit one of the "in the know" guys posted that...may have even ended up in this thread somewhere. Let's face it, the S doesn't need to be a "slightly nicer / bigger S with a hatch"...it needs more to distinguish itself from the 3 sitting next to it in the showroom, otherwise, why bother.

It also seems hard to believe there will be major exterior changes since folks are speculating the X will be changed too...the things they have in common are the drivetrain, tech and interior...so those areas will likely be the target (note: I'm sure that comment is somewhere in this mammoth thread too!).

What are your thoughts on the cybertruck screen? The massive Landscape screen. I would think that the S and X would have something similar to that. Anywhere from what it is now to the four screen system some people have mocked up is probably possible.

I don't recall seeing the Cybertruck interior and the screen layout. I'll have to go look for it. I am not especially interested in getting one so I may have given scant attention to that. I do recall seeing a big screen in the big truck, the tractor-trailer truck. But i do not have a feel for how something similar would work in Model S. I'll have a look....

Personally, I suspect the new S is made by Elongating a squished √Y. And the new X is an Elongated Y².

View attachment 630075

Watching more of the video where you can see more of the hood, that black car is a Model 3. The back strip that appears silver is more of the light reflecting, and is not a silver strip like the S has. At least to my untrained eye.

05A34A63-CBE8-4FF3-BBF7-C959313EDAC6.jpeg

Reactions: FlatSix911
Status
Not open for further replies.