Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
30+/day is more in line with my expectations and what I had heard. 50,000/year would not be much of a stretch at all, though they would need to add a second shift or spend money on the +4 hour overtime rate for California. That would increase capacity by ~50% and can be done immediately, though I would only want to do that on an interim basis to give me flexibility on building out a second shift.

I wouldn't expect the production rate to be increased in the first or second year. They need to prove to themselves they can sustain 20,000 cars first before investing in an increase. If they hit the 20k per year for a couple years and still have a large backlog, it'll be increased.

I wouldn't expect the production rate to be increased in the first or second year. They need to prove to themselves they can sustain 20,000 cars first before investing in an increase. If they hit the 20k per year for a couple years and still have a large backlog, it'll be increased.

Ok, my last post in this thread as I hate seeing that a new post has been added, exciting my inner self, then to my dismay and excitement to look at a new number update, I'm confronted with a random post by someone, which can become annoying. So sorry for being that annoying someone.

1 important thing to keep in mind with the reservation tally is those 246(someodd) people who have been transferred over to sigs, are not additions, just transfers. On top of those, there are a number of people who were sig res holders that downgraded, they would have been given a P number, which would be another duplicate. So in essence, when someone drops a reservation to a standard res, they could potentially be adding two false hits to the reservation tally. I'd assume, based off the 246 possible deferrals/cancellations/downgrades, we probably have around 500 false positives in the overall tally.

with the couple of visits I have made to the Bellevue WA store, there were people signing checks each time! Space X's successful mission and the early release and excellent reviews of the S helped peak our interest and secure our reservation... there is a nice momentum building with this company, Elon Musk is proving to be a bit of a superstar with a level of magnetism not unlike Steve Jobs. I think Tesla is hitting a sweet spot with the S. After 18,000 EV miles on the Leaf, I can say that the S has surmounted virtually every shortcoming of previous EV's I've looked into and I think it's going to pay off with a rush of buyers as the word gets out, especially from the coming test drive events.

We stopped by the Santa Monica store after participating in the 4th of July parade in our Roadsters and they said they've been averaging 30 reservations a day since the store opened a week ago. That's just from one store.

So it's been a couple of weeks since the first deliveries. Do we have any word yet on Tesla having made others? Assuming that they're making one salable Model S per day I would assume that they've got something like 10 more ready to go, right?

I would expect there would be an initial burst of excitement over the first deliveries and test drives of the Model S and they could in fact be logging 110 new reservations per day BUT I would not expect that pace to continue for more than a couple weeks. In the end it is the expansion of stores that will drive increases in reservations.

Elon Musk is on record saying he thinks by 12/31/2012 he will have delivered 5,000 Model S and he'll be sitting on a 20,000 car reservation list at that point (in other words "sell out all of 2013 production by the end of 2012).

Here is the graph of the data I keep. The red line is worldwide reservations, the blue is US.

Screen Shot 2012-07-10 at 10.38.27 AM.png

We are getting closer to the 55 cars per day average that will be needed to sell 20,000 cars a year!

And that's a 30-day average...the first drives were just ~20 days ago. We should see that moving average jump up a bit in about 1-2 weeks.

Also, just to point it out: Musk said they need to sell ~8,000 Model S's/year to make a profit. 22 per day. That's a really good sign when the reservations at this point significantly exceed the profitability margin...

And that's a 30-day average...the first drives were just ~20 days ago. We should see that moving average jump up a bit in about 1-2 weeks.

Also, just to point it out: Musk said they need to sell ~8,000 Model S's/year to make a profit. 22 per day. That's a really good sign when the reservations at this point significantly exceed the profitability margin...

Just to be clear, I think Elon said they need to sell 8,000 per year to be cash flow positive. You can be cash flow positive and still lose money on a GAAP basis if you have large Depreciation and Amortization expenses (representing cash already spent in prior periods). Which Tesla clearly has with the large cost of developing Model S, building out their factory, etc.