Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Select your colour:

• Grey

Votes: 138 15.4%
  • Black

Votes: 123 13.7%
  • Silver

Votes: 56 6.2%
  • White

Votes: 78 8.7%
  • Pearl White

Votes: 102 11.3%
  • Multi coat Red

Votes: 132 14.7%
  • Signature Red

Votes: 48 5.3%
  • Blue

Votes: 141 15.7%
  • Brown

Votes: 39 4.3%
  • Green

Votes: 42 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been following Tesla cars for a while now, and I have a note regarding their colors.

They should offer a high class range of cheery colors, by which I mean, brighter lighter colors, happy colors. Psychology studies show that darker colors make people more depressed and negative. For success of the people seeing, owning, and purchasing the car, a wider selection of factory-standard positive psychology colors should be available. And since these are luxury cars, the available colors should be high class (i.e., not some mid-brightness cheap Toyota blue or something). I recently saw a P85D "racing blue" which is similar to a pretty sky blue driven supposedly by some kid in a Redwood City neighborhood, and that is exactly the beautiful positive color type that I'm talking about which should be among the factory options. This would require an investment by Tesla to offer these additional colors, but would be made back by Tesla in the big picture many fold by increased sales and satisfaction (higher yields).

As to what particular colors to choose, I leave that up to a color designer. So far, I already identified one: that "racing blue". Since White is already available, and the available Red seems almost "bright" enough by itself, and I do believe you also have a happy Green (which is for whatever reason an odd color to choose), I think perhaps a color expert would have to do an expensive selection of at least one more "happy" color. I mulled over this myself, and besides banana (yellow) which to me is just silly, I came up with Amber. It's not quite prison construction orange nor activist florescent yellow, and nor is it poop gold or piss yellow; it's more like a richer luminescent dusk sunset color. And I'm not satisfied with that being the "other new color" I'm trying to pinpoint. What I know the color should be is something of a fantastic tint that might not have a "regular" color name, and that should be fine.

Also, if they brightened up their "dark blue" just a small tad to a nice tint that is visibly a nice deep dark blue even in darker lighting, that might "lift the spirits" of the average factory colors. A similar attempt could be done with their cream, silvers, grays, and other non-black dark colors available.

As a business strategy, it made sense to start with subdued colors to "sneak" the product out into the public without much fanfare. And going forward, a lot of really good customers want to maintain the full availability of those subdued understated colors. However, now that Tesla is well known, it makes a decent business strategy to invest in additional "happy" cheery colors as well. They don't have to sell like hotcakes: they just have to be rich enough, high class enough, and happy enough that the positive vibe of those beautiful Teslas driving around our road systems is just all that much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. Correction: I do not see the "bright green" I thought was available factory; that must have been custom. My mistake. (And I can't find the Edit button.)

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh, nice: replying to my own post is "edit". Very very nice. I see.

My steel grey P85, in overcast morning light:
hLZX5Mj.jpg

Same car, in fading late afternoon light:
7ljQtg5.jpg

Like most of Tesla's dark paint colors, it looks subtly different depending on ambient light conditions. I really like it.

2015 Model S P90D in Pearl White

Here is my Pearl White P90D, after OptiCoat Pro Plus coating by Fahad at Robust Auto Detailing, in overcast light.

IMG_0745.JPG

He even coated the red calipers...

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

Model S P90D| ​Pearl White | Tan Next Gen Seats | 19" | Carbon Fiber | Pano | UHF Sound | Air Suspension | Premium Interior | VIN 108007

Attachments

• IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 347
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
When you say "brown" do you mean "titanium"? Color is subjective. My color choice was made to get anything but red, white or black only because I have had nothing but those colors plus silver. The green and the titanium I think are super nice. You can't go wrong as long as its a Tesla!