Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem that I see with all this is that Tesla promised a car with certain features. Many of these features have still not made it into these vehicles. I think it is the responsibility of Tesla to inform customers about these features and when to expect them. If these firmware updates are merely improvements- like the roadster- then Tesla can do whatever they like.

What's the consensus on a car with 4.1 with sleep mode enabled, with regards to getting the updates? With the car being in the garage for a majority of the day, would it have a better chance of phoning home and getting the update if it didn't have sleep enabled?

What's the consensus on a car with 4.1 with sleep mode enabled, with regards to getting the updates? With the car being in the garage for a majority of the day, would it have a better chance of phoning home and getting the update if it didn't have sleep enabled?

I expect if the car is asleep it won't download, but it depends more on when Tesla decides to send it to your car. Once they do that the car will start downloading the next time it's "on the air".

I've turned off sleep in my car because it seemed to be causing glitches.

Has any one received an update during day light hours? Seems most have been evening and over night! I park in an underground garage and wonder if I have to be out at night to get the update (never received an update since delivery in nov 2012)?

Has any one received an update during day light hours? Seems most have been evening and over night! I park in an underground garage and wonder if I have to be out at night to get the update (never received an update since delivery in nov 2012)?

Most of my updates have arrived in the afternoon to evening but they install at 2AM unless you change the time.

We were asked to not post it here, but if you look around this message board, you can find it.

I don't see why Tesla wouldn't want people to know the AT&T phone number. It's particularly valuable for Tesla to allow owners to have this, as it takes traffic off the AT&T network.

I specifically asked for the phone number of my vehicle to add it to the Microcell and was told that Tesla's contract with AT&T prohibits them from sharing it with customers.

I expect if the car is asleep it won't download, but it depends more on when Tesla decides to send it to your car. Once they do that the car will start downloading the next time it's "on the air".

I've turned off sleep in my car because it seemed to be causing glitches.

My car was in deep sleep (with 4.1 (.29)) when it received 4.2, so I think this is not an issue. At least they got THAT right with 4.1!

My car was in deep sleep (with 4.1 (.29)) when it received 4.2, so I think this is not an issue. At least they got THAT right with 4.1!

There is a method for the car to "wake up" via 3G. This is needed for the mobile app functionality, so that when your car has gone to sleep, you can start the climate control. So it's perfectly reasonable to expect the car to wake up and get its update.

I'm on 4.1 and have had no issues in 2 weeks of owning the car. Sleep mode even works. I just got the update notification for 4.2 and not sure what to do.

Given that I've had no problems on 4.1, what are people's thoughts on taking the 4.2 update now versus deferring updates until sleep mode comes back? If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Unless you love sleep mode, I'd say there are no downsides to 4.2, and there seem to be many bug fixes, which though you might not have encountered yet, may rear there head in the future.

I too was super stable under 4.1, but upgraded last week when I was given the opportunity.

Unless you love sleep mode, I'd say there are no downsides to 4.2, and there seem to be many bug fixes, which though you might not have encountered yet, may rear there head in the future.

I too was super stable under 4.1, but upgraded last week when I was given the opportunity.

I've had multiple problems I did not have in 4.1 come along with 4.2.

Personally, Im beginning to wonder is Tesla needs to find a way to verify each components update status.

It seems to me, that for all those with no issues on one version, then updated with no issues, while there is a clear segment that is reciprocal ..... makes me wonder if the "issue" just has to do with all components actually updating vs some not updating and this creating the various noted problems....

Am I making sense?

Am I making sense?

Sort of.

Apparently with v4.1 (who knows with v4.2) it does look as though hardly anybody got one problem, if you got a bug you got swarm of them otherwise you got none. Maybe somebody more software-savvy than me can comment on that?

P.S. Knock-on-wood, I'm happily in the group that seems never to have experienced these bugs except for the washer fluid warning a couple of times on one of very early firmware versions. I often find myself truly amazed when someone posts a list of their bugs on one of the threads.