Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This all brings me back to whether or not one can override the open door warning and still drive the car. ?

Yes you can. Providing that you are willing to put up with the warning beeps every few seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, no. The door just requires a little more force to actually close it, if anything. I was in and out of the passenger side door about 6 times last night and every time I closed it successfully without a hitch.

Because it is so easy to open, I think people just barely use any force on closing it.

Since reading about this yesterday I've watched a few people getting in and out my car. There were a couple of instances of the door not closing fully, but people were being very gentle with this brand new car (which is appreciated!)

I have to agree with Jason as neither my wife nor I have had a problem.

Because it is so easy to open, I think people just barely use any force on closing it.

I've trained myself to use more force than usual when closing my passenger door (I.E. slamming it) and pushing it in at the angle that works best, but it still doesn't always work and it seems to be an alignment issue. It still requires 2 tries maybe 30% of the time with my adjusted technique, and this specific door is definitely different from the rest.

In a more recent but somewhat minor development, my front brakes have started to squeal rather loudly when coming to a complete stop. Has anyone else had this issue?

1700 miles and no, no squealing. But maybe all the rain up here has been keeping the brakes lubricated.

I had a couple of software issues in an earlier release, but they were fixed with the latest release. Everything is working great on my car.

Is there a procedure for a hard reset of the 17 inch display? I am thinking that I will just pull the fuse located in the Frunk. I have an issue where the 17 inch display is stuck on the camera selection. The scroll wheel reset has not resolved this issue.

In a more recent but somewhat minor development, my front brakes have started to squeal rather loudly when coming to a complete stop. Has anyone else had this issue?

Sig698, I'm willing to bed a good deal of money that your brakes are simply "glazing", if I remember the term properly. You're likely never using the brakes hard enough to heat them up to where you burn the glazing off, leading to squealing. This happens with driving that only applies brakes lightly and at low speeds. Try taking your car up to 60(shouldn't take long ;)) and get on the brakes firmly. I assume all of us with succumb to this as the regen will take care of most of the slowing in this car. Hope it helps

Is there a procedure for a hard reset of the 17 inch display? I am thinking that I will just pull the fuse located in the Frunk. I have an issue where the 17 inch display is stuck on the camera selection. The scroll wheel reset has not resolved this issue.

There is but not sure it's something I should advertise. Ask your service advisor to see if they're comfortable telling you how to do it (and if you're comfortable doing it).
I had to have mine hard reset 'cuz the 3G stopped working and soft resets didn't fix it, so I now know how to do it in case it happens again.

Not sure about a hard reset but have you called Tesla service to see what they say? Hopefully it is something they can address remotely or roll into the next update so it'd be good for them to take a look at it if you haven't already called them.

My brakes are squealing a bit, and there is also some rubbing noise when I released them. I've had this happen in other cars; I think it's a standard issue with new disc brakes. I wouldn't worry until you have a couple thousand miles on.

There is but not sure it's something I should advertise. Ask your service advisor to see if they're comfortable telling you how to do it (and if you're comfortable doing it).

Okay, I'll bite. Is there some risk of causing damage or some other grief doing a hard reset? A lot of us know how hard and soft resets work on other electronic devices, so this statement has piqued my curiosity.

Would owners mind giving us an update on potential issues with the sunroof? ( I'm referring to possible noise and/ or creaking when opening up the sunroof as well as wind related noise when driving.)

When opening/closing the sunroof, sometimes it's quiet, sometimes it squeaks fairly loud. But just on open/close, that doesn't bother me.

Weather hasn't been great since it was delivered, so we haven't driven with it open a lot. But so far wind noise while open has not been bothersome at all.

When it's closed and we're driving over and bumps and/or speeding up or slowing down, it often creaks. It's pretty quiet and not a big deal as-is; but it's obviously loud enough that I notice it at least some of the time, and I wonder if it might get worse over time.

I had to have mine hard reset 'cuz the 3G stopped working and soft resets didn't fix it, so I now know how to do it in case it happens again.

Not sure about a hard reset but have you called Tesla service to see what they say? Hopefully it is something they can address remotely or roll into the next update so it'd be good for them to take a look at it if you haven't already called them.

My car is scheduled to have all these issues taken care of once the parts are available. My service advisor told me that he will take care of all these issues when I bring the car in. Right now I am just looking for an interim solution. I do not see any harm in removing the fuse, as this may accomplish the same result as the official hard reset procedure?

Okay, I'll bite. Is there some risk of causing damage or some other grief doing a hard reset? A lot of us know how hard and soft resets work on other electronic devices, so this statement has piqued my curiosity.

I have no idea. All I know is the service manager said he was OK with me doing it (I asked, in case it happened again) only because I clearly understood what was involved. He said he'd normally not instruct others on how to do it. Now, *why* that is is anybody's guess.

It is the difference between control-alt-del and yanking the power cord. The first instructs the system to reset itself gracefully, and the second just powers off the system without any chance for a graceful shutdown.

Hopefully they have designed the system with the right type of filesystem to cope with such events, but if it was my car, I'd talk to Tesla Service before yanking the fuse. They may have a less drastic way.

Would owners mind giving us an update on potential issues with the sunroof? ( I'm referring to possible noise and/ or creaking when opening up the sunroof as well as wind related noise when driving.)

The sunroof does make a loud whistle when slightly open (or during the opening-closing process) at speed; this is a known issue. The creaking has affected several cars, including mine; the service reps said it seemed to be due to some tacky adhesive on the sunroof seal, and they ordered a replacement seal. I'll post again once this is installed.

I have no idea. All I know is the service manager said he was OK with me doing it (I asked, in case it happened again) only because I clearly understood what was involved. He said he'd normally not instruct others on how to do it. Now, *why* that is is anybody's guess.

My Ranger did a "hard boot" to fix a problem with the liftgate. He disconnected the 12v battery to let all the computer systems reset - unfortunately the battery is not easily accessible. He also warned that if "you drop a bolt" you have to basically disassemble all the frunk trim to get access. Not something I want to do...