Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this normal for a new car to have out of the factory! Love the car but WTH.

Yup perfectly normal. Often just loading the car onto the car carrier will get the alignment slightly out of wack. Every car I've bought has required a trip to the alignment shop in the 1st week of ownership. Some cars and drivers are more sensitive to alignment errors. For me, they are very easy to notice on the Model S.

Newbie with a charging question here. Into weeks I am having a professional electrician install my tesla wall charger. In the meantime I’ve been using the excruciatingly slow 115 V outlet to charge my car.

Today I received the 220 adapter as pictured, so that I could be able to Charge my tesla through my dryer plug.

In the breaker box my dryer is rated at 30amps, can I be able to use this low amperage or is the configuration not compatible with charging a tesla?

Attachments

• CEADFD30-A4DF-4D96-AE2E-D7241A887A43.jpeg
    CEADFD30-A4DF-4D96-AE2E-D7241A887A43.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 94
View attachment 258612 View attachment 258614 View attachment 258615 View attachment 258612 View attachment 258614 Thanks for the great advice, I purchased a 14-30 charger adapter from Tesla.

What I’ve learned is that this charger will charge about 17 mph, when I get my tesla wall charger installed how many miles per hour will that do it’s 80 KW.

It will depend on your breaker, if your house can only supply a 50amp breaker you can use or get 40amp @ 240v output (9.6kw) = about 29mph for the model S. That is what I have installed at my house.

What I’ve learned is that this charger will charge about 17 mph, when I get my tesla wall charger installed how many miles per hour will that do it’s 80 KW.
If I understand your question correctly — your units seem garbled — the speed of charging at 80 amps, 240 volts (19.2 kW) will depend on the on-board charger (OBC) that the car has. Those vary across the Tesla line, ranging from some Model S cars that have dual chargers and can handle the full 19.2 kW, to older cars with a single 10 kW OBC that can't take much more than the 9.6 kW provided by a 14-50 outlet. Current cars are being produced with 11.5 kW (48 A, 240V) or 17.2 kW (72 A, 240 V) OBCs.

A more important question is whether or not you need faster home charging? Isn't that 17 mph from a 14-30 outlet enough for most use? The car will easily charge to full (usually 90%) overnight. A few people might actually need faster home charging for running errands after a long day of commuting, for example, but those figure to be an exception. For many of us, a simple 14-50 outlet and the UMC supplied with the car is all we need. That is about 27 mph IIRC.

FWIW.

Reactions: Lodo1000
If I understand your question correctly — your units seem garbled — the speed of charging at 80 amps, 240 volts (19.2 kW) will depend on the on-board charger (OBC) that the car has. Those vary across the Tesla line, ranging from some Model S cars that have dual chargers and can handle the full 19.2 kW, to older cars with a single 10 kW OBC that can't take much more than the 9.6 kW provided by a 14-50 outlet. Current cars are being produced with 11.5 kW (48 A, 240V) or 17.2 kW (72 A, 240 V) OBCs.

A more important question is whether or not you need faster home charging? Isn't that 17 mph from a 14-30 outlet enough for most use? The car will easily charge to full (usually 90%) overnight. A few people might actually need faster home charging for running errands after a long day of commuting, for example, but those figure to be an exception. For many of us, a simple 14-50 outlet and the UMC supplied with the car is all we need. That is about 27 mph IIRC.

FWIW.

I installed a 14-50 outlet with a 50amp breaker in my house (I have a 200amp main) and would get about 29 to 31m/hr of charger which is very good overall. The install was only $325 with everything. See attached picture.

Charging Tesla.jpg

Reactions: Lodo1000
I installed a 14-50 outlet with a 50amp breaker in my house (I have a 200amp main) and would get about 29 to 31m/hr of charger which is very good overall. The install was only $325 with everything. See attached picture.

View attachment 259377
Yup, this has been my daily life for the last 4.5 years. Works just fine!

This weekend car was parked outside overnight in about 20 degree weather and rear right suspension was dropped low when I came out to it.. Got into car and it was in Jack mode. Toggle it and it moved itself back to Standard. Haven't occurred since. I saw some other threads on this but thought I'd add it here. Hope it'll not happen again. Before I took delivery they did fix a "fault air suspension module", unsure if it is related.

• Helpful
Reactions: Gt1948 and Snerruc
Hi,

This seems like the place to post my issue. If it is not, please forgive me and point me to the forum that I can post to. I am new to this message posting (yes, I am over 40).

I have 2014 S 85 , which now has over 85k km. Which means that my warranty has expired like 2 months ago. Unfortunately my parking brake starts to act up (faults on the display, not working when it should, showing a message that it is on while driving). My service center stated that this is not covered by warranty and, apparently, in Belgium there is no plan yet to extend the warranty.

I do recall that t some point in the past Tesla extended the 8 year warranty on the battery to the drive train. My question is: is the parking brake regarded as part of the drive train. Or is that limited to engine, suspension, ... ?

Thanks for your help.

I do recall that t some point in the past Tesla extended the 8 year warranty on the battery to the drive train. My question is: is the parking brake regarded as part of the drive train. Or is that limited to engine, suspension, ... ?

Tesla never said "drive train" they said battery and drive unit. So just the battery, motor, invertor, and gearbox are covered under the 8 year warranty.

There has been a 'recall' on the parking brake.
If the replacement of the parking brake hasn't been done on your car yet, maybe ask?

The recall is only for Model S and Model X vehicles built between February and October 2016. (Or vehicles that had a parking brake unit replaced with the defective ones.)

So unless he already had the parking brake replaced once his 2014 wouldn't be included in the recall.

Is five business days to diagnose a "low coolant" alert a typical timespan for Service Centers? I'm new at this, but when I keep getting the same response ("we're working on diagnosing the problem, check back tomorrow") it's not very reassuring.
Sadly, my experience with timeliness is very hit and miss in my first two years of ownership. I suspect your SvC is just backlogged unless they are waiting on engineering to get back to them on research/escalation of your problem -- in which case, the SvC is stuck and can only be the front men taking any owner's grief while they wait for answers/approval how to proceed. Turnaround time for scheduled appointments here in San Diego have been same-to-3 days for me this year -- since Tesla put in more streamlined on-the-spot check-in and direct owner-to-tech communication, and got their backlog better under control. I also know that my SvC is working at least 2, if not 3 shifts many days of the week.

OTOH, I have had some extraordinary exceptions:
  • Last Fall with a 6-week in advance scheduled 1-year service (nothing special), that took 15 days to get my own MS back (fortunately, I had a loaner BMW IIRC, but boy that cost Tesla a pretty penny for me to have it all that time). I've been told the backlog which caused that exception is now under control -- as I now politely ask if they will be able to get to my car within a day or two before I hand over my key.
  • To fix a warranty issue, I had a replacement drivers seat on order since March 30, with a 4-6 week ETA because it's a special order grey seat they no longer manufacture. A replacement finally arrived in August, but after they started work while I was waiting for a hopefully easy 1-hour swap, they found the new seat had the wrong connectors for my particular MS, so my original seat went back in and the special order process had to start again. I was afraid to ask when the next replacement may arrive. Sighhh.
Again, if I were to bet, your SvC is just swamped, or they are waiting on engineering to get back to them on next actions re your coolant problem. I suggest you just keep politely checking-in for status every day or two, as I've found communication between drop-off and "vehicle is ready" is inconsistent at best. Good luck on hopefully a timely repair!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna