Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Colder today (38) and I stood in the parking lot of walmart like an idiot. First they wouldn't extend. Used the fob. Then it wouldn't open. After pulling for a while I thought to try the rear hatch, but tried the back door on the way -- opened no problem. Tried the front again and it opened. Naturally there were onlookers.

3 years... These handles should have been perfected or scrapped.

I can't wait to get my Model S, but from the moment I saw the car, nothing has annoyed me more than the door handles. They are a solution in search of a problem, and I'm convinced there were simpler ways to achieve whatever minor reduction on drag that they offer.

I'm totally on board with bulling through the little ticky-tack software issues the car has. It's a complex beast and this is the first time anyone has every tried anything like this. And in the software industry as a whole its practically a given that you will end up playing wack-a-mole for awhile as you push updates live to resolve issues, only to have new issues crop up requiring an update.

But there can be no defense for the door handles, IMHO. They are taking up substantial development resources in an attempt to get them to work "right" (to say nothing of the ill will being generated in customers) and its all completely unnecessary. There's no need to dive head first into the stupid side of the pool when its hard enough just keeping your head above water on the smart side.

Dtich, you live in a warmer climate than I do, so perhaps you may not experience the same issues... It's definitely not an issue of "getting used" to them. They're not working consistently, and it seems to happen more so when the temperature is cold. I don't doubt that you haven't had any issues, but the issues do exist (and I don't have 4.0 for them to extend as I approach).

I agree completely, the door handles work perfectly and are one of my favorite features. Can't comprehend the negativity.

It may not be happening to you, but you can't comprehend that if something isn't working correctly for someone they would be annoyed with them? Especially something as important as the mechanism that you use to get into your vehicle?

Colder today (38) and I stood in the parking lot of walmart like an idiot. First they wouldn't extend. Used the fob. Then it wouldn't open. After pulling for a while I thought to try the rear hatch, but tried the back door on the way -- opened no problem. Tried the front again and it opened. Naturally there were onlookers.

3 years... These handles should have been perfected or scrapped.

If the front handles opened after using the back handles, then that seems like a rather trivial software problem (of course seemingly trivial problems sometimes have surprisingly complex causes). There seems to be some general software problem with processing sensor input, or something like that. It doesn't sound like the handles themselves are to be blamed (or too complex).

EDIT: Also, if they extended after using the fob, but not before, then that's apparently not a mechanical problem in the handles (but a problem in the proximity sensor, which also should unlock the doors, regardless of any handles).

Last edited:
So far my door handles have worked just great. I don't see why some people are so negative about them.

Me too, I have had no problems...and I too was one of those that thought Tesla had "over-designed" the handles..but since i have been driving the car daily, they have grown on me immensely, and I think they are a pretty cool feature.

now time will tell, whether these handles are suitable for a cold climate... We need to keep in mind that even in -20C weather, your "normal" handles may also freeze up ....so I think we all need to wait out the the winter to make a final assessment on the handles, as we clearly have contradictory viewpoints here.

Dtich, you live in a warmer climate than I do, so perhaps you may not experience the same issues... It's definitely not an issue of "getting used" to them. They're not working consistently, and it seems to happen more so when the temperature is cold. I don't doubt that you haven't had any issues, but the issues do exist (and I don't have 4.0 for them to extend as I approach).

i know outsider, i have the benefit of the warmer clime. and i admit, the fact that i live here was a factor, perhaps small, in finalizing the car purchase. and i do think that the handles should work fine in any temperature, or it's not the car i thought i was buying. i am holding out hope that the design is solid, but they just may have some manu tolerance issues to sort out before everything works perfectly in all weather. i'm sorry you and others are taking the brunt for that. likewise this annoying 12v battery issue, another failing on some front or other. and i know it's easy for me to be pollyanna about it all because i'm not experiencing some of the more egregious issues. i came on board as a veteran of many beta software and hardware rollouts and know very well the suffering that we v1 adopters deal with.. i committed to that before i signed the mvpa. i knock on wood that things are not too bad for me, and hold out hope that all these startup hiccups of a bold and brave new company and their first real product, an industry-changing product, will soon be only mildly annoying memories of the otherwise surprisingly impressive beginnings of a new car company.

Last edited:
Me too, I have had no problems...and I too was one of those that thought Tesla had "over-designed" the handles..but since i have been driving the car daily, they have grown on me immensely, and I think they are a pretty cool feature.

now time will tell, whether these handles are suitable for a cold climate... We need to keep in mind that even in -20C weather, your "normal" handles may also freeze up ....so I think we all need to wait out the the winter to make a final assessment on the handles, as we clearly have contradictory viewpoints here.

Yes, remember the old thumb-button type? A few times I was tempted to hammer them in. I'm sure it would have smashed the mechanism beyond repair!

Despite where he lives, dtich has a point Let's try to keep some of these climate things in perspective. It's reality that things (cars included) freeze in cold, wet weather. I have a Toyota that freezes, a Jaguar that freezes over and even have had the old Scandinavian standard bearer, Volvos freeze, one to the point where it tore a hatch seal. Just because a Model S is a techno-wonder, it is not exempted from the laws of physics and if there is water on a seal (even a charge port seal) or a window, it will freeze at temps less than 32F. By now I am quite sure that someone at TM has figured out that maybe they don't quite have the clearances, software or seal materials quite right and the likely are working on fixes, because it does them no good to have unhappy customers, who, as dtich says "know very well the suffering that we v1 adopters deal with."

IMHO it seems to me that anyone who has the resources to be in this game must, almost by definition, have the intelligence to understand that we are at the very cutting edge of an incredibly complex new technology and that there will be growing pains. If you don't get that then maybe you should be buying from a manufacturer of technologies that have been proven for decades like MB or BMW (and which technology accordingly decades old).

I, for one, sort of look forward to a bit of adventure when I finally get mine.

Despite where he lives, dtich has a point Let's try to keep some of these climate things in perspective. It's reality that things (cars included) freeze in cold, wet weather. I have a Toyota that freezes, a Jaguar that freezes over and even have had the old Scandinavian standard bearer, Volvos freeze, one to the point where it tore a hatch seal. Just because a Model S is a techno-wonder, it is not exempted from the laws of physics and if there is water on a seal (even a charge port seal) or a window, it will freeze at temps less than 32F. By now I am quite sure that someone at TM has figured out that maybe they don't quite have the clearances, software or seal materials quite right and the likely are working on fixes, because it does them no good to have unhappy customers, who, as dtich says "know very well the suffering that we v1 adopters deal with."

IMHO it seems to me that anyone who has the resources to be in this game must, almost by definition, have the intelligence to understand that we are at the very cutting edge of an incredibly complex new technology and that there will be growing pains. If you don't get that then maybe you should be buying from a manufacturer of technologies that have been proven for decades like MB or BMW (and which technology accordingly decades old).

I, for one, sort of look forward to a bit of adventure when I finally get mine.

Fair point. However, my handles did not freeze. It's not snowing or raining out, it's simply cold. I have no idea if it is because the sensors they are now using detect heat or just perform poorly in the cold (as I said, once I got in the car the dash read 38 degrees). Iced over handles are understandable as they would plague any car. However, I've never owned a car where the door handles did not function properly because it was cold out (IF that is the cause, it could just be coincidence).

I'm willing to give Tesla a LOT of slack, but I have to agree with some of the sentiments that the door handles were more about the flashiness. I'm actually OK with that, but when something is for show, it should definitely function properly in a consistent manner.

Since door handles seem to be the topic of the moment. I will give my experience after only a day of use (running v4.0).

I have now had three occasions where the doors opened on their own without anyone pulling the handle. The first time was at pickup at the factory where the front passenger door was closed (quite firmly, because as others have reported the front passenger door can be difficult to close), and then immediately reopened. I was sitting in the driver's seat and could hear the door close firmly and then I heard the click of the electronic mechanism to unlatch the door a half second later. Twice now, I have had the driver's door open after I approached the car and the handles automatically extended. A similar behavior (before auto-extending handles) has been captured on one of cinergi's videos, so I wasn't totally surprised to see it.

I think in all cases the handle's pressure sensor is detecting pressure on the handle from either the door handles extending or from the slamming of a door and then opening the door. I hope they will be able to correct this issue with a software update as it does seem to be a sensitivity/timing issue related to door opening/closing and handle extension/retraction. I will raise this issue with Tesla at my upcoming service appointment to address some due bill items on the car (missing paint armor and a defective driver's dome lamp).

In general, I think the door handles are "cool" (my kids absolutely love them) and a unique feature of the car, but I do worry about the long term reliability of the handles and the entire electronic door latching mechanism.

I have now had three occasions where the doors opened on their own without anyone pulling the handle.

If this happens in a stiff wind, and the door is blown open wildly, that is not going to be a pleasant experience for anyone. I truly hope this is something that can be fixed in software, but I fear it may be hardware-related. I wish the handles actually had a bit of "travel" when you pull on them to open the door because I think the sensitivity requirements of a handle that barely moves may be too much for the myriad of conditions and weather that the typical car is exposed to.

AnOutsider and others: these are probably manufacturing/assembly issues. As Doug said, he's had no issues and lives in Ottawa, so the cold is not likely the culprit.

I suspect we're talking about a violation of a few assembly tolerances...something's misaligned...something like that. As cinergi mentioned, just have Tesla fix the door handles. Once they've been adjusted or replaced, I think you'll be much happier.

What you're experiencing is probably not a design flaw but a manufacturing/assembly issue.

Last edited:
AnOutsider and others: these are probably manufacturing/assembly issues. As Doug said, he's had no issues and lives in Ottawa, so the cold is not likely the culprit.

I suspect we're talking about a violation of a few assembly tolerances...something's misaligned...something like that. As cinergi mentioned, just have Tesla fix the door handles. Once they've been adjusted or replaced, I think you'll be much happier.

What you're experiencing is probably not a design flaw but a manufacturing/assembly issue.

We'll see. I once again emailed ownership, but I've never got a response to any of my inquiries there. I'll probably have to bring it in for service (or have it towed? Don't think I can make it to DC)

AO, call your service guys. You'll get a much faster response and they'll take care of you. I think that the ownership mail address probably gets overloaded and whoever reads that is going to just pass it back to service anyway.

BTW, every service call gets a ticket logged in Fremont so Tesla will still collect overall data to see if there's a general issue.

I agree that the issue seems to be car-specific and best addressed by Service. My handles have worked flawlessly. I do not have a garage, and the past several days have been rain during the day and freezing overnight. Each morning (Wed-Fri), I've heard ice crack as the handles extend out. No issues. I hope those with issues get them sorted out promptly.

AO, call your service guys. You'll get a much faster response and they'll take care of you. I think that the ownership mail address probably gets overloaded and whoever reads that is going to just pass it back to service anyway.

BTW, every service call gets a ticket logged in Fremont so Tesla will still collect overall data to see if there's a general issue.

Went ahead and did that... Funnily enough, the woman told me service had moved and asked for my email address. She then emailed service on my behalf and CC'd me on it. Sooo, back to the waiting game :)

I agree that the issue seems to be car-specific and best addressed by Service. My handles have worked flawlessly. I do not have a garage, and the past several days have been rain during the day and freezing overnight. Each morning (Wed-Fri), I've heard ice crack as the handles extend out. No issues. I hope those with issues get them sorted out promptly.

That's good to know. In my email I asked if there were any mechanical issues there, so maybe that's the case. I wonder though, if you didn't have the tech package, would it have recognized your touch through the ice? Suppose you could always just use the key to extend them too.