Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla contacted me Wednesday evening via telephone. They agreed that there is a problem and that they will send someone to look at the car.

UPDATE

Mr. Blankenship contacted me via email yesterday and after sending him photos of the car he told me that the bumpers will be replaced. He was very apologetic and told me that he wanted to ensure this would not happen again. I have also be contacted by Service Advisor from the Rockville, MD service center.

I am happy with how quickly the problem was addressed and impressed with how much internal visibility it was given. I didn't expect Mr. Blankenship to get involved. Tesla rocks!

- - - Updated - - -

anybody seen the error "key no longer in car. car will not restart" (or something close to that) even though the key is still sitting in my pocket? this has happened three times (and then gone away after a few minutes). no impact yet. i have never had any problems with the handles coming out, unlocking or allowing me to start the car. on 4.1.

It happens to me daily. I just check my pocket for the key and then I ignore the warning.

- - - Updated - - -

For the first time ever, my "Since Last Charge" didn't reset after charging. No way to manually reset it that I can tell either.

The same thing happened to me yesterday morning. This morning the "Since Last Charge" was reset.

Last edited:
UPDATE

Mr. Blankenship contacted me via email yesterday and after sending him photos of the car he told me that the bumpers will be replaced. He was very apologetic and told me that he wanted to ensure this would not happen again. I have also be contacted by Service Advisor from the Rockville, MD service center.

I am happy with how quickly the problem was addressed and impressed with how much internal visibility it was given. I didn't expect Mr. Blankenship to get involved. Tesla rocks!

That's great. It's the right thing to do, of course, but it's still very refreshing to see that Tesla are doing the best they can. I'm picking up a new car for my wife tonight which we've not yet seen, but of course it's from a regular dealer, so if there's an issue, they fix it. Tesla doesn't quite have this luxury, so it good to see the effort going in to prove the legacy dealer model isn't the only option when buying cars.

Just unplugged my car and got in to take my wife for dr appt. dreaded 12v battery alert popped up and says replace 12v battery soon. I was already aware that this is happening to a lot of people but was hoping I could escape this problem. Talked to my service mgr and he said I should be good for a few days and he will come to my house to replace the battery or I can bring it in when I get a chance. I also know this battery is a real pain to get to for replacement. Just hope it doesn't die on me before I can get it in for new battery. Sure hope they figure out what's causing this problem soon. Don't want to be replacing the battery every month or two!

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just unplugged my car and got in to take my wife for dr appt. dreaded 12v battery alert popped up and says replace 12v battery soon. I was already aware that this is happening to a lot of people but was hoping I could escape this problem. Talked to my service mgr and he said I should be good for a few days and he will come to my house to replace the battery or I can bring it in when I get a chance. I also know this battery is a real pain to get to for replacement. Just hope it doesn't die on me before I can get it in for new battery. Sure hope they figure out what's causing this problem soon. Don't want to be replacing the battery every month or two!

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What software version are you on? Is this happening to anyone with 1.19.31 (v4.1)?

It is more noticeable in sunlight, the delivery photos were taken on an overcast day.

- - - Updated - - -

I also had a paint flaw on the trunk, near the driver side indicator that wasn't caught at the factory.

View attachment 14291
It is quite clear that Elon is no longer "walking the line" to ensure quality control. Those issues should NEVER have left the factory! This is a serious breakdown in quality control and probably related to the imperative to get cars out the door by years end. In fact most of the fit/finish problems being reported seem to be on cars recently out of the door or more accurately, December assembly. For the "best car in the world" this is not acceptable and it is entirely appropriate that senior management is involved. The Quality control manager needs to be on the carpet for this with his feet VERY close to a roaring fire!!

Just sat in my car after a long day of work and was greeted with a "Car needs service. Car may stop unexpectedly" warning. WTF!?

And these warnings disappear faster than I can read them. Good thing it showed up twice. These warnings ought to be duplicated in the 17" console somewhere.

Firmware: v4.1 (1.19.31)
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Just sat in my car after a long day of work and was greeted with a "Car needs service. Car may stop unexpectedly" warning. WTF!?

And these warnings disappear faster than I can read them. Good thing it showed up twice. These warnings ought to be duplicated in the 17" console somewhere.

I've seen this as a transient message. Probably it's a 12v battery 'false warning' but you should call Tesla roadside service and they will remote diagnose the problem. Likely justa glitch but you can find out for sure by having remote diagnosis of your car. They might push a SW update to you early depending on the situation. Calling has been very helpful for me.

Just a WAG, but that sounds like part of the start/boot sequence getting ahead of itself and other sub-systems and then correcting itself when the other(s) catch up.

Unlocked the car, and the rear passenger window went all the way down and both passenger side handles would no longer come out. We were able to open the doors from inside and close the window but afterwards windows wouldn't open or doors from outside.

Sadly still going without doors and windows on the passenger side. I waited for a while for the update that was not to be, due to the roll out halt and went into to service to see what they could do.

They were very helpful as usual. They switched the car into diagnostic mode using the key fob and the steering buttons and found that my RHS handles were not sending any signals at all, so definitely not software and too coincidental that they both failed simultaneously. They concluded it could be a wiring harness problem and ordered a harness. It will be a few days until it arrives. They had seen a similar problem with one of their demo cars.

At least they didn't take my car away and it should only take a couple of hours to replace.

I did find out the hard way you can drive away with out your key in the car when I got stranded.

Last edited:
I'll echo the desire for some sort of error log I can check on the center console.

Twice this week some warning has flashed up on the driver's console as I got into the car then gone away so quickly I couldn't read it. I'd like to know what it was...

Got our P85 (VIN P02975) on Wednesday and have been loving it!

The wife and I noticed that with the volume all the way off, there is a faint static noise in the cabin. Turned on the stereo and could still here it with low volume, once you turn up the stereo it drowns out the static but I suspect its still there. I haven't noticed it at all times.

Has anyone else encountered this? I hesitate to stop by San Diego Service until I know how to replicate it. It's pretty minor, but when moving at slow speed the car is so quiet that it is distracting.

Thanks!

I'll echo the desire for some sort of error log I can check on the center console.

Twice this week some warning has flashed up on the driver's console as I got into the car then gone away so quickly I couldn't read it. I'd like to know what it was...

They do show up in the 17" console, but they disappear just as fast. Touching the exclamation point on the top line of the display will show all the current errors/warnings, if any.

Got our P85 (VIN P02975) on Wednesday and have been loving it!

The wife and I noticed that with the volume all the way off, there is a faint static noise in the cabin. Turned on the stereo and could still here it with low volume, once you turn up the stereo it drowns out the static but I suspect its still there. I haven't noticed it at all times.

Has anyone else encountered this? I hesitate to stop by San Diego Service until I know how to replicate it. It's pretty minor, but when moving at slow speed the car is so quiet that it is distracting.

Thanks!

I have noticed occasional noises from the stereo, although I'm not sure that the sound was turned down, or if I just had it paused. In my case, it seemed to be interference from my GSM iPhone, but there may be other sources.

Is it possible that these quick warnings on start up are similar to an ICE when the check engine and other warning lights flash on when you first start it?

Try turning off the Ambient lights, which buzz when the screen brightness is turned down.