Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The microphone activation switch on my 2020 MS steering wheel has failed - FOUR TIMES. Twice the failure has involved all three switches on the right hand side (plus the horn), and twice it's just the upper button which enables voice commands. I have a Ranger scheduled to come to my house for repairs in a few weeks. Have any of you had repetitive problems with the steering wheel switches?

The microphone activation switch on my 2020 MS steering wheel has failed - FOUR TIMES. Twice the failure has involved all three switches on the right hand side (plus the horn), and twice it's just the upper button which enables voice commands. I have a Ranger scheduled to come to my house for repairs in a few weeks. Have any of you had repetitive problems with the steering wheel switches?
No problems here.

Drive Unit issues

-Jan 2019 I bought 2012 Signature Edition Model S with 55k miles

-Before purchase I emailed Tesla asking for remaining warranty and received response: "The battery warranty ends 11/28/2020 the drive unit warranty ends 08/19/2021" ( I did find the 8/19/2021 date a bit unusual )

-1 month after buying I took to Tesla for milling noise from motor. They replaced motor under warranty with 1002633-
00-Q

-3 weeks ago car refused to drive (luckily was in my driveway) and showed Unable to start vehicle, Unable to drive. This is 30,000 miles since replacement drive unit.

-Flatbed to Tesla. Service Center stated car needs new 12v battery and a new drive unit for total of $7,500 (at least its not 12k like a few years ago) (they will put in a 1002633-00-T). After a few requests for good will service to cover drive unity replacement, as motor only has 30k miles on it, they declined saying cause was water intrusion. Tesla also will not recognize the Tesla customer service email from 2019 stating drive unit is covered until 8/19/2021.

-Car insurance agent said comprehensive may cover this if was caused by water damage. But after car insurance inspector went to service center to inspect car they stated it was not a flooding / large amount of water issue but instead just moisture getting past speed sensor seal so will not be covered under insurance. During 'good will' request email discussions with Tesla Service Center they stated "Your current drive unit has water intrusion that’s why it failed which is not covered under warranty". As I understand Tesla is saying this was caused by too much water getting to car so wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway - And car insurance is saying this was a seal failure so not something comprehensive/flood insurance would cover.

So looks like I'm on the hook for a drive unit that only has 30k miles on it.

Reactions: hpartsch
I bought a used 2017 MX from Tesla and the brakes (or something else) have been making noises since I've had the car for the past 6 months. Tesla tells me these sounds are normal, but I can't possibly see how this can be normal on a $130k car. Can you guys please take a look at these videos and let me know what you think the noises are coming from and how to fix them? Any help would be much appreciated!

New video by Gordon Jankulovski

Drive Unit issues

-Before purchase I emailed Tesla asking for remaining warranty and received response: "The battery warranty ends 11/28/2020 the drive unit warranty ends 08/19/2021" ( I did find the 8/19/2021 date a bit unusual )

-1 month after buying I took to Tesla for milling noise from motor. They replaced motor under warranty with 1002633-
00-Q

-3 weeks ago car refused to drive (luckily was in my driveway) and showed Unable to start vehicle, Unable to drive. This is 30,000 miles since replacement drive unit.

-Flatbed to Tesla. Service Center stated car needs new 12v battery and a new drive unit for total of $7,500 (at least its not 12k like a few years ago) (they will put in a 1002633-00-T). After a few requests for good will service to cover drive unity replacement, as motor only has 30k miles on it, they declined saying cause was water intrusion. Tesla also will not recognize the Tesla customer service email from 2019 stating drive unit is covered until 8/19/2021.

-Car insurance agent said comprehensive may cover this if was caused by water damage. But after car insurance inspector went to service center to inspect car they stated it was not a flooding / large amount of water issue but instead just moisture getting past speed sensor seal so will not be covered under insurance. During 'good will' request email discussions with Tesla Service Center they stated "Your current drive unit has water intrusion that’s why it failed which is not covered under warranty". As I understand Tesla is saying this was caused by too much water getting to car so wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway - And car insurance is saying this was a seal failure so not something comprehensive/flood insurance would cover.

Your insurance company is correct here, the water intrusion is almost certainly a failed rotor coolant seal, which then floods the drive unit with coolant. Unfortunately this is a very common problem, and we rebuild these drive units on a weekly basis at the shop where I work for pretty much this exact issue...
It sounds to me like your particular service advisor/technician is not well versed in this extremely common issue, and it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of service centers feigning ignorance to this problem.
There are numerous reports online of Large Drive Units internally leaking coolant (including from folks who DID get their drive units replaced under warranty), so I would try to use those as evidence with you service center to get them to address the issue. If that doesn't work, I would try to further escalate the problem with Tesla to get this (rightfully) covered under warranty.

Has anyone come across a Tesla that won't charge past a certain point? I found a used Model S at a dealer and he can't get it to charge past 42 miles, it has the 85kwh battery. He went to a supercharger too and nothing will get it above that point.
Yeah, that is usually accompanied by a "maximum battery charge level reduced" error message. There is a whole thread about it here: Maximum battery charge level reduced

It normally means that the HV battery needs replaced.

Reactions: 2101Guy and bigbear
I bought a used 2017 MX from Tesla and the brakes (or something else) have been making noises since I've had the car for the past 6 months. Tesla tells me these sounds are normal, but I can't possibly see how this can be normal on a $130k car. Can you guys please take a look at these videos and let me know what you think the noises are coming from and how to fix them? Any help would be much appreciated!

That is your emergency brake it sounds like. Doesn't typically sound like that. I would recommend they replace it.

Anyone had a broken rear sub frame yet? Any luck getting Corp to cover the cost of replacement?
Very common. Every older Model S will end up breaking the rear subframe. If you get a replacement from a salvage yard, that one will eventually break. If you get one at Tesla, that one will break.
I now have a salvage yard rear subframe and it was installed by some oddly inept Eastern European guys in the Chinese part of town. All that to say, it’s not an easy job for most, and Tesla charges around $2500 plus tax including the rsf. I paid $1000 total and that was after quite a bit of shopping around. The first one they ordered for me arrived with a crack in the front motor mount. The second one looked pretty good.

Very common. Every older Model S will end up breaking the rear subframe. If you get a replacement from a salvage yard, that one will eventually break. If you get one at Tesla, that one will break.
I now have a salvage yard rear subframe and it was installed by some oddly inept Eastern European guys in the Chinese part of town. All that to say, it’s not an easy job for most, and Tesla charges around $2500 plus tax including the rsf. I paid $1000 total and that was after quite a bit of shopping around. The first one they ordered for me arrived with a crack in the front motor mount. The second one looked pretty good.
It's also possible to have a shop repair the old subframe, for probably about the same cost as a used replacement one costs. I would say this is actually a better option as the mount can be reinforced with some gussets so that it doesn't fail again (or at least makes it far less likely).
I can tell you for certain that if we were to repair one at the shop where I work, that's probably exactly what we would do.

Reactions: BostonBurley
It's also possible to have a shop repair the old subframe, for probably about the same cost as a used replacement one costs. I would say this is actually a better option as the mount can be reinforced with some gussets so that it doesn't fail again (or at least makes it far less likely).
I can tell you for certain that if we were to repair one at the shop where I work, that's probably exactly what we would do.
San Marcos isn’t far. If it happens again I’ll come calling.

Drive Unit issues

00-Q

I think you should take Tesla to small claims court and show the judge your email. I think you'd win in a hot minute.

Odd. In 6 years, i have never had trouble opening my charge port at any supercharger, so far as I can recall. Question is, is it a car defect or a supercharger defect...
Happens everywhere. Home or Superchargers. It's the car. It's also intermittent. Most of the time it does not work. The phone and the car will always open the port
My Model Y opens every time without fail from the same home charger.

• Informative
Reactions: David29