Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody experienced this problem yet? "Key not present; car unable to start" message when the key is in your hand inside the car AND it has a new battery. I've tried the Tesla suggestion of holding the fob close to the 12v battery/RFID source without success. Either it's the key or the car not recognizing the key. Either way, I'm currently stuck in a hotel in Greensboro, NC! I've called Tesla Roadside and it being 10pm+ they are getting a tech out from Raleigh, NC first thing tomorrow am (they say).
This message will appear if your fob is too close to your cell phone. It has happened to me with this car as well as my previous one when the phone and the fob found their way into the same coat pocket. It will also prevent the door handles from presenting.

I've reported this issue before, both in the TMC forum and to the local Tesla service shop. I have an update.

First, the problem, or, mystery.

Lately, as in past few months, most mornings when I come down to the garage, unplug the UMC from the charge port, and manually close the charge port door, it makes no electromagnetic clanging sound to indicate it's locked. It usually does when I am on the road somewhere supercharging, and when I've tried to reproduce it at the local Tesla Service Center, it always loudly clicks right on cue, but when I am at home, usually not.

What I also noticed lately, as in since around December, is that when I get in the car, which says "Car Off", and press the brake pedal, the pedal is very stiff, and requires some effort to push it down for the car to start. Right when I do this, I hear a loud clapping sound in the rear portion of the car, and suddenly the car wakes up.

It was only this morning that I figured it out --- it's the charge port door, finally locking. That's what's making the loud clapping/clanging sound.

Questions: does anyone else's car do this? Why has my car started to do this? Is this a symptom of a problem, or just some harmless weirdness?

It was only this morning that I figured it out --- it's the charge port door, finally locking. That's what's making the loud clapping/clanging sound.

Questions: does anyone else's car do this? Why has my car started to do this? Is this a symptom of a problem, or just some harmless weirdness?
Yep, mine does the same thing. If I remove the charge cable and close the charge port door before the car has woken up (booted) this sometimes happens. My typical routine is open the car door, put in my back pack, throw my coat on top of it, then go unplug. By which time, often the car is booted. But if I unplug first then get into the car, I've had this happen. Usually on weekends since then I'm not lugging the extra office stuff with me that I stick in the car first.

Yes, occasionally I get the "clack" as well when I step on the brake. Lately I've been having some other challenges too, like a charge port that turns red for 2 seconds before going green and charging, and the other night I got a "charging failure - contact tesla service", corrected by an unplug/replug. Engineering has suggested that I might have a bad/dirty connection to ground and pilot occasionally based on logs.

Mine has done it even when I don't let the car sleep (before I started using the -z teslams/streaming flag it would do it). And occasionally my charge door would pop back open by itself because it wasn't being locked.

They're going to look at it next time I'm in or the next time it fails.

I charge via HPWC.

OK, I just had an odd experience. I haven't been in my car all day and it wasn't plugged in. I just went to go to the grocery store, but my phone battery was low so I plugged in the USB to charge it before I turned on the car. When I looked up, I had the "Car needs service" message like a couple of weeks ago, and again my touchscreen was not responding to touch, just like last time. I rebooted the main screen and the service message went away, and stayed away, but the touchscreen still was non responsive. I decided I would deal with it Monday and continued on my way since the car was drivable.

When I got to the grocery store I started thinking, and realized that when this happened a couple of weeks ago, the common factor was plugging in the USB to charge my phone. I unplugged it, and voila! My screen started functioning normally! Coincidence?

OK, I just had an odd experience. I haven't been in my car all day and it wasn't plugged in. I just went to go to the grocery store, but my phone battery was low so I plugged in the USB to charge it before I turned on the car. When I looked up, I had the "Car needs service" message like a couple of weeks ago, and again my touchscreen was not responding to touch, just like last time. I rebooted the main screen and the service message went away, and stayed away, but the touchscreen still was non responsive. I decided I would deal with it Monday and continued on my way since the car was drivable.

When I got to the grocery store I started thinking, and realized that when this happened a couple of weeks ago, the common factor was plugging in the USB to charge my phone. I unplugged it, and voila! My screen started functioning normally! Coincidence?

No, I believe it's a known problem. A couple of months ago I was getting the same message. It was caused by something sticky on the touchscreen that seemed to be confusing the car - it thought the screen was constantly being touched. When I called service, they asked me a couple of questions -- if I had multiple USB devices plugged into the car, if I was using a microfiber cloth to clean it, and if the screen was clean. It seems that some USB devices can cause the car to have an issue.

I experienced this problem myself quite some time ago. I can reproduce it at will by plugging in my USB hard drive. It would be nice if this gets fixed in 6.0.

No, I believe it's a known problem. A couple of months ago I was getting the same message. It was caused by something sticky on the touchscreen that seemed to be confusing the car - it thought the screen was constantly being touched. When I called service, they asked me a couple of questions -- if I had multiple USB devices plugged into the car, if I was using a microfiber cloth to clean it, and if the screen was clean. It seems that some USB devices can cause the car to have an issue.
Thanks! I hadn't seen this mentioned here so must have missed it. Glad to know I'm not making a connection between two unrelated things! I'm really glad that's all it was.

I've had my 85 S for 6 weeks now and can report 2 significant issues. While driving, a warning message appeared on the dash that said, "Car needs service, Power Reduced". The car then went into a reduced power state. I braked to a stop, then tried accelerating. The car was only able to do 0-60 in about 45 seconds. It actually was dangerous to drive in that condition, so I called Tesla. They picked the car up within 2 hours, at about 7pm, and had it back to me by noon the next day with a new engine. Yes, they said the problem was rare, but it had to do with the engine electronics and the solution is replacing the engine. They said replacing the engine takes less than an hour in this car. Amazing !

The 2nd issue is that my center screen keeps rebooting by itself while I'm driving. I tried a manual reboot a few times, but it continues to happen. I guess I would have taken it in for this eventually, but independently Tesla called me and asked if they can have my car back for a day for them to replace the dashboard screen and electronics. Why ? They said it might have a faulty "soldering". The girl who called didn't know more than that, but while they have the car, they'll see about the rebooting center screen. And by the way, they already have limited supplies of the new titanium battery protector. They also have a long list of safety conscious people who want it, so they may or may not be able to install one for me this trip.

So that's it for my first 6 weeks with the Model S. Yes, I do love it. I've taken it on 2 x 50 miles round trip drives and one 185 round trip using a Tesla Supercharger...and it's been a great car to drive and own.

I had about half a dozen instances of the brakes on my car feeling unresponsive over the course of two days. It hasn't happened since.

Typically I let the car regen as much as possible, and have a good feel for when I'll need to use the actual friction brakes to bring the car to a halt if I don't have enough distance left.... as I suspect we all have developed. Thus I think I have a pretty good handle on how the brakes are supposed to feel.

In these specific occurrences, the brake feel was very vague in the pedal, and baraking perfomance was reduced. Almost as if one set of calipers wasn't engaging.

It didn't feel like lack of power assist, which tends to make the pedal feel stiffer. Nor did it feel like it was rust buildup on the disks, which I can feel and hear with the initial brake pad contact after having been parked a while (and this was in the middle of a driving session).

My son actually commented on my coming in to a turn faster than I expected while I was noticing it initially. We tested in a parking lot a couple of times and I was able to reproduce it there.

I have a service appointment for something else tomorrow... I'll mention it to them.

Anybody else ever get this?

Was the ground wet? I've once had the brakes fail to grab for a couple seconds as I was coming to a stop sign. It was very wet out, and there are others who've complained of this on TMC. Hasn't happened to me since.

Yes, but no more so than many other times I've driven.

It was, however, a slight wintery mix. I did wonder if there was any correlation there... I know that the hall-effect sensors used to detect wheel speed can be affect by foreign contamination, but that seemed like a long shot given the rather mild amount of precip...

I had about half a dozen instances of the brakes on my car feeling unresponsive over the course of two days. It hasn't happened since.

Typically I let the car regen as much as possible, and have a good feel for when I'll need to use the actual friction brakes to bring the car to a halt if I don't have enough distance left.... as I suspect we all have developed. Thus I think I have a pretty good handle on how the brakes are supposed to feel.

In these specific occurrences, the brake feel was very vague in the pedal, and baraking perfomance was reduced. Almost as if one set of calipers wasn't engaging

Anybody else ever get this?

Yes! Happened to me numerous (yet sporadic times over the winter)!

I called service about it and they had me doubting myself with all the snow around saying it was probably just the car sliding with the weather.

With the fact that it was not repeatable, I've had a hard time thinking there was an issue with the brakes.

The last service, I had tesla change the rotors (as they squeak a LOT) but the brakes still feel really 'squishy' or 'mushy'. Not the kind of braking feeling that id expect with brakes like these.

I wanted to wait until the weather cleared a bit and had my winters taken off before I can truly attribute it to the brakes.

On a side note, when parked, how many presses of the break before you hear the brake vacuum kick in?

I've reported this issue before, both in the TMC forum and to the local Tesla service shop. I have an update.

First, the problem, or, mystery.

Lately, as in past few months, most mornings when I come down to the garage, unplug the UMC from the charge port, and manually close the charge port door, it makes no electromagnetic clanging sound to indicate it's locked. It usually does when I am on the road somewhere supercharging, and when I've tried to reproduce it at the local Tesla Service Center, it always loudly clicks right on cue, but when I am at home, usually not.

What I also noticed lately, as in since around December, is that when I get in the car, which says "Car Off", and press the brake pedal, the pedal is very stiff, and requires some effort to push it down for the car to start. Right when I do this, I hear a loud clapping sound in the rear portion of the car, and suddenly the car wakes up.

Yup this started happening to me also around 5.8 IIRC

- - - Updated - - -

The 2nd issue is that my center screen keeps rebooting by itself while I'm driving. I tried a manual reboot a few times
do you have anything plugged into the USB ports? Some members have reported there is a problem with certain devices causing the screen to go on a reboot rampage. If you're charing your phone you could consider picking up a DC to USB adapter... U get faster charging too

This is one of the consequences of a car whose firmware gets updated all the time by the manufacturer.

In the ICE world if a car started making weird snap sounds after months of ownership you would wonder what's wrong and prolly take the car in for service.

In the computer-on-skateboard world of Tesla, even the most innocuous software updates can cause new behavior (bug? weird unanticipated side-effect? actual intended but undocumented change?) just like when any software vendor updates an app or OS. I wish Tesla would definitely explain to owners which is the case in this instance. Doing so in release notes would be helpful, for instance. A section on little things that you may notice, etc.