Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rather "interesting" and disconcerting experience this morning. I walk up to the car, it unlocks, I get in. Dashboard is on, looking normal (not asleep), main screen is black.
I press the break pedal, nothing happens - dashboard stays on the "off" screen.
I try to reset the main screen with the steering wheel buttons. Nothing.
I try to reset the dashboard with the other steering wheel buttons. Nothing.
I am beginning to get nervous :confused:
I get out of the car, plug the charger back in. Dashboard shows it's plugged in but says "Charging Complete" (ok, I had charged last night, so that was somewhat reasonable).
Get back in the car. Press the break pedal. Ahhhh - display flips to "car is on" mode.
Reset the big screen.
Reset the dashboard.
Car is driving fine.

As luck would have it, this morning the Service Center picked the car up for my 1 year service plus 5.9 install plus installation of the chest augmentation :)
I of course told them about what happened, let's see what they report when they return the car tonight.

Rather "interesting" and disconcerting experience this morning. I walk up to the car, it unlocks, I get in. Dashboard is on, looking normal (not asleep), main screen is black.
I press the break pedal, nothing happens - dashboard stays on the "off" screen.
Had this happen a couple times before my 12V died. No idea of it's correlation or causation though.

Oh that's interesting. I know a few people reported that their 12V was replaced during the 1 year service. I'll ping the service center and ask if they will replace mine...

My 12v was pro-actively replaced at my last service visit, which was roughly at the 1 year of ownership point (the car was in for other reasons). As far as I knew I had no 12v issues, but did have the "dead car" experience you describe above once. At the time, I just chocked it up to a random glitch.

Yes! Happened to me numerous (yet sporadic times over the winter)!

I called service about it and they had me doubting myself with all the snow around saying it was probably just the car sliding with the weather.

With the fact that it was not repeatable, I've had a hard time thinking there was an issue with the brakes.

The last service, I had tesla change the rotors (as they squeak a LOT) but the brakes still feel really 'squishy' or 'mushy'. Not the kind of braking feeling that id expect with brakes like these.

I wanted to wait until the weather cleared a bit and had my winters taken off before I can truly attribute it to the brakes.

On a side note, when parked, how many presses of the break before you hear the brake vacuum kick in?

Interesting. I believe I know the behavior of the car with loss of traction and subsequent ABS engagement feels liking in a braking scenario, and I'm also certain that wasn't it. And the circumstances would have made it rather unlikely. It sounds like we may have experienced a similar issue.

I generally can hear/feel the power assist[1] kick in on the first press. I think I've had one or two occasions where there was only a slight delay.

[1] I don't know if its a vacuum module or a positive pressure system

Oh that's interesting. I know a few people reported that their 12V was replaced during the 1 year service. I'll ping the service center and ask if they will replace mine...
Thanks for that pointer.
And indeed, they replaced my 12V. I also mentioned to them that at my 1500 mile trip to the Bay Area I had suddenly noticed much louder than before driving noise. I thought it might be a sound insulation issue and that maybe I was hearing more of the road noise? I was wrong. They replaced the drive unit(!!).
As always, amazing service. I don't have Ranger service, but the SC is out of loaner cars (intense selling going on the last couple of weeks) and so they picked up the car and dropped it off again - for free.

A quick shout-out to the Tesla folks keeping up with the forum :wink:...

My car was buttoned up and finished at the service center for some unrelated issues, and I got a call back from the folks there inquiring about my experience with the brakes noted above. Because it was an isolated issue (and had my mind on the other issue I experienced the night before), I hadn't mentioned it to them when I brought it in.... but they asked of they could keep the car a bit longer so they could look in to it.

Gotta love a company that's proactive like that... of course Tesla is undoubtedly the most interweb-saavy car company on the planet, being silicon-valley folks and all. Kudos to them.

In any case, if they discover anything regarding the brakes, I'll pass it on here. Oh, and while there they installed 5.9, and informed me the proactively changed out the 12v battery as well. Good stuff...

And indeed, they replaced my 12V. I also mentioned to them that at my 1500 mile trip to the Bay Area I had suddenly noticed much louder than before driving noise. I thought it might be a sound insulation issue and that maybe I was hearing more of the road noise? I was wrong. They replaced the drive unit(!!).
As always, amazing service. I don't have Ranger service, but the SC is out of loaner cars (intense selling going on the last couple of weeks) and so they picked up the car and dropped it off again - for free.
Our cars must be twins :) I had the same noise start kicking in after the same trip (Portland->Sonoma) last summer and had the drive unit replaced not too long after.

Our cars must be twins :) I had the same noise start kicking in after the same trip (Portland->Sonoma) last summer and had the drive unit replaced not too long after.
That's pretty funny.
I can't remember BMW ever offering to me to replace the engine for free... just because of a noise.
Tesla is amazing me.
Some people (Edmunds) seem upset about the replacements (or more specifically, about the need for the replacements). To me this is a young manufacturer that is constantly improving their product and doing an amazing job at keeping their early adopters whole. Yes, I know not everything is perfect and some people are frustrated (cough, A batteries, cough), but by and large I think what they are doing is just amazing.

I can't remember BMW ever offering to me to replace the engine for free... just because of a noise.

Yes, I had mine replaced because of noise too, but to be fair, the electric motor is probably a lot less expensive and certainly a lot simpler to replace than an ICE. Tesla is a lot more conservative with replacing the much more expensive battery pack for minor issues. Just look at the A vs. B Pack Supercharging thread.

A quick shout-out to the Tesla folks keeping up with the forum :wink:...

In any case, if they discover anything regarding the brakes, I'll pass it on here.

Just got a call back from service center. They were able to detect some brake feel issues in a test drive, and did a fluid flush/change. Although that service is not specified until two years, I have ~22K miles on mine, and they said they've seen a few times cars with higher mileage for their age with similar issues...

Again great service from the folks in Rockville.

Hmm, on my 1700-mile SF Bay Area trip last month, I noticed the car noise was much louder and at times borderline obnoxious. Happens on long stretches of I-5, out in the boonies of Central CA, where the speed limit is 70 and everyone whooshes by at 80-90+. I had it in cruise control between 72-74, and right around there the motor hum gets not only loud, but develops parallel hums that sort of throb and reverberate and resonate, and the throbbing especially starts getting to you after 10, 20, 30 solid minutes of it.

Is this the kind of thing that people are getting their drive units replaced for?

Hmm, on my 1700-mile SF Bay Area trip last month, I noticed the car noise was much louder and at times borderline obnoxious. Happens on long stretches of I-5, out in the boonies of Central CA, where the speed limit is 70 and everyone whooshes by at 80-90+. I had it in cruise control between 72-74, and right around there the motor hum gets not only loud, but develops parallel hums that sort of throb and reverberate and resonate, and the throbbing especially starts getting to you after 10, 20, 30 solid minutes of it.

Is this the kind of thing that people are getting their drive units replaced for?

It sounds very much like what mine was replaced for... especially under moderate (20-40kWh) propulsion...

I've had USB-device-induced touchscreen wonkiness as well... my Android phone will do it...

I wish I had read this topic before. My car has been into Tesla 3x for the touchscreen crashing. I ended up finding it out on my own. It seems to be limited to android phones for me, and only in the USB ports. Confirmed with a Android Samsung Note 3, but my work iPhone does not do it. It also will not crash if using a car adapter to usb in the car plug.

It appears to be when the android phone tries to connect as an installer, it either blocks it, or causes a reset. It will then repeatedly, and quickly, attempt to make the connection which will eventually cause the dash to crash. If I catch it quick enough and turn it to media / camera it does not cause the crash.

I am wondering if it isn't some sort of bug or protection in the Linux side of the dash when exposed to certain filesystems / content. I might try to repeatedly plug in a usb key with a couple different filesystems on it and see if it will cause the crash.

I wish I had read this topic before. My car has been into Tesla 3x for the touchscreen crashing. I ended up finding it out on my own. It seems to be limited to android phones for me, and only in the USB ports. Confirmed with a Android Samsung Note 3, but my work iPhone does not do it. It also will not crash if using a car adapter to usb in the car plug.

It appears to be when the android phone tries to connect as an installer, it either blocks it, or causes a reset. It will then repeatedly, and quickly, attempt to make the connection which will eventually cause the dash to crash. If I catch it quick enough and turn it to media / camera it does not cause the crash.

I am wondering if it isn't some sort of bug or protection in the Linux side of the dash when exposed to certain filesystems / content. I might try to repeatedly plug in a usb key with a couple different filesystems on it and see if it will cause the crash.
The day after I posted this my local SC left me a message saying they wanted to talk to me about my USB/screen issue. A little stalkery(?) But in a good way. They told me to just use the 12v other and it would charge faster anyway. It's only the second time I've plugged my phone in in my car in nearly a year, so not a big deal. I have a Samsung Note 2.

Weird, I have a Note 3 and plug it into the car's USB port (farthest from the driver) every day on my way to and from work. Never switched it away from being an Installer either. Wonder what is different between them? I have a Verizon version and it is running older code (MI9, the original code it shipped with when I received it in November).