Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Plaid powertrain is significant.

That's shared with the Roadster. It did high speed demo launches all night on the reveal. They made a point of saying "It can do this all day."

This implies to me no induction motors anywhere here.

Overheating issues on the Ring may be a complete non-factor.

0-70 launches every few minutes aren't bad thermally. Only 2 seconds of high power (less due to traction limits).

Reactions: shellderp
The Plaid powertrain is significant.

That's shared with the Roadster. It did high speed demo launches all night on the reveal. They made a point of saying "It can do this all day."

This implies to me no induction motors anywhere here.

Overheating issues on the Ring may be a complete non-factor.
I can do 0-80mph launches for an hour on my p100d too, the real issue is high speeds

Reactions: mongo
I understand that sustained high speed is a different animal... But my point is that prior to Elon's "Plaid" comment, the assumption was this was a Raven car, which still has a single large rear induction motor. There's question as to if that could handle the heat, despite the smaller front motor being SWRPM.

If it's 3 SWPRM units, that concern goes away.

And again, I'm going from memory, but I believe that "no power limiting to worry about" was something emphasized and picked up on by folks in attendance...

Reactions: humbaba and mongo
I understand that sustained high speed is a different animal... But my point is that prior to Elon's "Plaid" comment, the assumption was this was a Raven car, which still has a single large rear induction motor. There's question as to if that could handle the heat, despite the smaller front motor being SWRPM.

And again, I'm going from memory, but I believe that "no power limiting to worry about" was something emphasized and picked up on by folks in attendance...
Or two rear SWPRM and a front inductive for slightly better efficency on the highway. After all this is only a 100kWh pack.

Reactions: scaesare

but the model 3 perf has one induction motor and doesn't seem to overheat? I think the real reason the new roadster won't overheat is because it has the third motor that is geared to be powerful at high speeds so it doesn't need to spin too fast

but the model 3 perf has one induction motor and doesn't seem to overheat? I think the real reason the new roadster won't overheat is because it has the third motor that is geared to be powerful at high speeds so it doesn't need to spin too fast
That's not how it works. Electrical power = mechanical ppwer/ efficiency. Gearing will shift you around the efficiency curvy, but will not change the mechanical power needed.
Less gearing for more power at the high means more motor torque output. Power (HP) = torque*RPM/5252.

Roadster uses Model 3 style motors instead of AC Induction, so there is not the issue with rotor overheating

Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-12 um 14.46.15.jpg
Since no one seemed to notice-
we are witnessing the Taycan Syndrome.
"Cooling über alles"- one more proof they are DEAD SERIOUS

Porsche made their job. It is said, that the step from 911 to Taycan is of same importance as the step from Beetle to Golf for VW. They had cooperation with Rimac. Rimac has also a two gear engine. If this first electric car fail it will kill their future. The lap times on “Nürburgring Nordschleife” are very important for sports cars. I am sure the Taycan which was used has nothing to do with the Taycans which are coming out of factory in next weeks. At least all speed and protection limitations are switched off and then a two gear engine has benefits to Model S one gear engine. “Nürburgring Nordschleife” is a high speed track where you have to do more than 300km/h to be among the best ones.

There was already a competition with Taycan and Tesla. Taycan made 24h long distance drive with 3425km and Model 3 made 24h with 2842km. This is not only a result of 350kW charging power. Documentation of Model 3 24h driving you find here 24h world record

• Funny
Reactions: Todd Burch
The Laguna Seca laptime of the Model S Plaid is about 1s faster than a Cayman GT4 which laps the Ring in 7:40. Indeed there is a very real chance of beating the Taycan's 7:42 with this prototype, which has obviously not a lot in common with the current Model S on sale.

It will be interesting to see if and how Porsche will respond. So far they have crushed everyone who wanted to steal their records on this track. Bellof has lapped the Ring in 6:09 in the 80s in a Porsche. They have some experience here.

Let's see.

There was already a competition with Taycan and Tesla. Taycan made 24h long distance drive with 3425km and Model 3 made 24h with 2842km. This is not only a result of 350kW charging power. Documentation of Model 3 24h driving you find here 24h world record

Those aren't comparable since one was done on a closed track and the other done on the public roads.

• Informative
Reactions: hacer and RabidYak