Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Weekend at Santana Row Video & Photo Links

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Engle, I think you have the best coverage of the event so far. Thanks for going to the effort for all of us. Based on the body language on the topic of leasing, 1) it is a touchy subject which he has to be careful about talking about, and 2) if I had to guess, it will be a while before we get it. I hope I am wrong because I was hoping to lease to bridge to the x and decide then if I would keep both later. I wonder what the conversion % of model s reservations will be to actual purchases? It sure looks like a winner from your coverage.

The video with Ted confirms that production WILL be batched (seemingly beyond just battery options) as some assumed. So car 500 COULD be built before car 450 for example -- tho he says delivery may still happen in order (or close to it)

Awesome video and pics Engle.. THANK YOU - wish I was there. Did anyone get any video of the door handles in operation? Also, any vids of the automatic lift gate in action (if it was operational on these 4 cars)?

Door handle in operation video (and final interior of sig red beta with new steering wheel and faster touchscreen):

http://youtu.be/9PSygTIPqho?hd=1

I also operated the panoramic glass sunroof for the first time using the new touchscreen. It worked great! I couldn't get a video since I was too close to it.

The video with Ted confirms that production WILL be batched (seemingly beyond just battery options) as some assumed. So car 500 COULD be built before car 450 for example -- tho he says delivery may still happen in order (or close to it)

I picked up on that as well. He said the design studio would actually provide you with an estimate based on your options that are time sensitive. It'll be fun to see how options vs. delivery date estimates play out...and throws an interesting twist into deciding what options to get. On the fence about active air suspension? What if getting it brings your delivery estimate up 4 weeks? That could certainly nudge you into getting it. Though in the interest of fairness, I hope Tesla can honor the original reservation order as much as possible.

Thanks Engle. Door handles look like they operate quick, fluidly, and intuitive.. I LIKE!! You're coverage is awesome, and you are asking all the good questions - and not holding back on the tough ones either.

The touchscreen definitely seemed to have much better response. Cool. The refresh on that one website though took a while. Maybe on 3G still? Or maybe it was on a slow wifi. Has anyone asked if they will be 4G vs. 3G modems?

Also, regarding the hard-top version, did you notice any difference compared to the pano roof? We were suspecting less headroom on the hard-top.

Thanks Engle. Door handles look like they operate quick, fluidly, and intuitive.. I LIKE!! You're coverage is awesome, and you are asking all the good questions - and not holding back on the tough ones either.

The touchscreen definitely seemed to have much better response. Cool. The refresh on that one website though took a while. Maybe on 3G still? Or maybe it was on a slow wifi. Has anyone asked if they will be 4G vs. 3G modems?

Also, regarding the hard-top version, did you notice any difference compared to the pano roof? We were suspecting less headroom on the hard-top.

Yes, they are still on 3G. I read somewhere we are going to get 4G. I hope I can just tether to my jail-broken iPhone 4S with grandfathered "unlimited" 3G which should be 4G when iPhone 5(?) is released later this year?

My son says both glass and hardtop roof felt tight, but there was a bit more room in the hardtop. However, they still don't have the fabric screens installed in the glass roof. On the glass roof, he reports his head was touching the back part of the headliner, which you can see in the photo. However, to be fair to Tesla, the headrests and/or raised part of the backseat to support the head were missing from this Beta. The material used for the hardtop headliner was very soft and has a very good feel to it. I think they need to lower the backseat a few inches to mitigate this issue.

After watching my interviews, I realized I have to avoid interrupting my subject to ask the next question!

After watching my interviews, I realized I have to avoid interrupting my subject to ask the next question!

heh, chalk it up to excitement! Great coverage though. Could you fill in some of the gaps on the latest video? Toward the end you were asking the woman in the car something and the audio just didn't want to cooperate.

Engle, your photos and video are greatly appreciated, THANKS. Unfortunately, to my eyes, the photos really lay bare Tesla's short comings in regard to the interior as compared to their competitors. I see they are still using molded plastic for the door sills rather than a more upscale finish offered standard by their competitors. The lack of a place to put change, nick-knacks, etc in an enclosed area in the center console still remains, and their solution to offer a storage bin as an accessory seems weak at best. Unfortunately, the video interview seems to confirm this is the final interior and IMO it is not worthy of being labeled "Premium". I hope to be proved wrong, but I don't see much improvement in fit and finish and functionality than what I saw firsthand at the Fremont event and at my local Tesla store.

I thought the handles would come out automatically when you approach with the key fob?

Also, I've lost track...you can disable regen?

The handles will come out automatically for key fob if you have the tech package. But they will still work if you touch them as shown in the video - that is standard functionality. Not sure if they had these beta's outfitted with tech package or no. Or even so, if they could demonstrate the automatic functionality yet. Maybe someone there could ask them today to demo that.

The handles will come out automatically for key fob if you have the tech package. But they will still work if you touch them as shown in the video - that is standard functionality. Not sure if they had these beta's outfitted with tech package or no. Or even so, if they could demonstrate the automatic functionality yet. Maybe someone there could ask them today to demo that.

Yes, because if it's a Signature, the tech package comes standard, so hopefully they are showing it with it.

Bonnie, would you do me a favor? Would you please bring a tape measure and measure the ground clearance of the model x? Thanks.

No one was allowed close to the Model X (maybe the dog pile at the LA reveal event was too much??), but I handed my tape measure over and Alex did a quick measurement for me. So keeping in mind that this is NOT a production model and that air suspension will make a drastic difference (in other words, this means nothing) ... The prototype had 8.9" of clearance, as measured approximately equidistant between the front and rear tire.

No one was allowed close to the Model X (maybe the dog pile at the LA reveal event was too much??), but I handed my tape measure over and Alex did a quick measurement for me. So keeping in mind that this is NOT a production model and that air suspension will make a drastic difference (in other words, this means nothing) ... The prototype had 8.9" of clearance, as measured approximately equidistant between the front and rear tire.

Bonnie you're a gem. I knew you would get it done. 8.9" is not bad. I know nothing is even close to set in stone at this point, but intentions begin to show themselves. That was all I was looking for. Thanks again.