Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - what would you change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Features that I would order today:
85kWh because supercharging is included
parking sensors
these require the tech package so there
and the fog lights and folding mirrors while we are at it
winter package because heated seats in 2nd row

where the car falls short:
2nd row head room because of falling roof line
HVAC for the 3rd row seats
would buy a station wagon in an instant!
-> more room and better sun protection for the 3rd row
adjustable head rests
reliable TPMS system
replace the 9kW EU chargers (or 18kW if twin chargers) with BRUSA NLG6 22kW charger
car is way too heavy

If I were ordering today, the only thing I'd change for sure would be the seats - I'd get textile instead of leather. When I ordered, I had to get leather to get heated seats.

There are a few other things I'd have to consider though:
pano roof - now $1k more expensive, and thus harder to justify
air suspension - also now more expensive, and requires the tech package
tech package - I still think it's overpriced, but I would probably buy it this time because it's got features I already have and like, such as memory seats and lighted handles, and also because I would like some of the other features it provides that I don't already have, such as the power lift gate and the auto presenting handles
subzero package - I'd probably spring for this, mostly for the wiper blade defrosters and nozzle heaters

I'd also ask if I could get the rear facing seat hardware installed without the seats, but I'd only do it if it were relatively cheap (i.e. <$500).

Last but not least, I would most likely pony up for a different color besides black. It looks great when it's clean, but it's hard to keep it that way. I'd probably go for Silver or Grey.

Configuration change:
-85KwH battery. At the time my financial anxiety overrode my perceived range anxiety. I still get along fine with the 60, but the 85 is better and a great value. Waiting wouldn't have helped because prices went up after I ordered and my configuration went up almost $10,000.
-After price changes, I wouldn't buy any options other than the tech package and the 85 battery.

Design changes:
-Better sun visors. I drive east in the morning and west in the afternoon. I am always having to stare at the sun while driving.
-A real switch for the sunroof like the windows, mounted up near the sunroof.
-Window frames on the doors.
-A 2 door version would be nice.
-Aside from better floor mats. Real floor mat anchors, and not the cheesy screw-in ones that come with the all weather mats.
-Larger, easier to push to turn on and off map lights. And more responsive programing on the light when it turns off (or eliminate or tweak the fade off).

Not what I would change, but what I wish Tesla would change:

The behavior of the Cruise Control stalk.

I despise the way this stalk works. This may be how Mercedes does it, but how unintuitive can it be? I've driven lots of miles with it this way and each and every time I get it wrong. This makes the most sense to me if one must use a stalk for cruise:
push to go faster (pushing the stalk towards the front of the car means speed up!)
pull to go slower (pulling the stalk towards the back of the car means slow down!)
up/down to cancel/resume depending on current state.

I can only wonder if various patent holders force each automaker have to do it differently. For the record, Honda/Acura has my favorite style: using the right thumb on the wheel with a +/- toggle switch. I believe BMW recently changed from a stalk to the Honda way as well on some models.

I'd like parking sensors, but would REALLY LIKE a collision-avoidance system.
The button for HomeLink needs to be larger so it's easier to press on the fly.
The buttons for the phone should be larger and should respond to voice command.
All of the controls should respond to voice command!
There isn't enough lateral support for the seats.
More headroom for the back seats would have been awesome!
The headrests are far too narrow and should adjustable!
Allow the car to function as a HotSpot for devices.
Put a swivel on the 17" display and allow the person in the passenger seat to watch movies.
The plastic on the back of the front seats looks cheap, especially for a $70k+ car!
The b-pillar is too far forward to allow larger people to access the front seat easily.
4G would be nice.
Knowing the status of the Superchargers would be excellent.
Being able to reserve a time for a Supercharger would be nifty.
Having nosecone options would be pretty cool - I'm not a big fan of the black nosecone.
The key fob is cool, but needs to be more sturdy (my Infinity key fob worked even after scuba diving to 90'!)
An ejection seat, stealth cloaking, a James Bond machine gun with submarine or airplane mode would be most excellent.
While my wish list is looong, this is still the most spectacular car I can imagine!

I can't believe no-one wants a better turning radius.

How about a few more storage spaces, like cubbies in the doors. A coin holder like my 5 series.

Cup holders in the back.

Built in console so we don't have to buy it.

The plastic at the top of the door looks cheep also. It creeks when i press against it.

I hate the all-weather mats, they are short, they move and, they allow dirt to behind them.

Better seats would be nice. so is better visibility. The pillars seem to get in the view when you approach a junction at an angle less than 90 degrees. Got into my 5 series the other day and immediately noticed the seats and the visibility.

the + handling should be on all cars.

I too hate the cruise control stick. Put cruise on the steering wheel like all cars.

The blinkers stick should be higher.

I am very happy with the car though.

Does anyone wish that Tesla would offer a non-opening transparent roof in addition to offering the pano roof? Personally, on the cars I've driven with opening sunroofs, I find myself leaving them shut all the time while still enjoying the extra light and the view while driving in the mountains and tree lined streets. A fixed sunroof would probably leak less and alleviate the mechanical issues with opening sunroofs. Not to mention being far cheaper.

I'll limit mine to 10:

1. Parking sensors
2. Better media playback integration (show the dang scrollable playlist already)
3. Collision warning
4. Blind spot assist
5. Winter driving mode (Traction control is too sensitive at low speeds)
6. More storage inside!
7. Adaptive cruise control
8. Individual tire pressure
9. Comprehensive voice control (If you can see a menu, you should be able to say it)
10. Mobile app should show mileage, trip meters, and allow scheduling, so the cabin/battery warms up prior to departure. For example, if I set "Departing at 9am", I'd like the car to be already firing on all cylinders by the time I get to it. ;)

2. Better media playback integration (show the dang scrollable playlist already)
9. Comprehensive voice control (If you can see a menu, you should be able to say it)
10. Mobile app should show mileage, trip meters, and allow scheduling, so the cabin/battery warms up prior to departure. For example, if I set "Departing at 9am", I'd like the car to be already firing on all cylinders by the time I get to it. ;)

I think #2 will likely show up eventually, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. #9 is a good idea, and seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to implement. I'd also like to see more functionality in the mobile app, and/or on the "My Tesla" page.

Does anyone wish that Tesla would offer a non-opening transparent roof in addition to offering the pano roof? Personally, on the cars I've driven with opening sunroofs, I find myself leaving them shut all the time while still enjoying the extra light and the view while driving in the mountains and tree lined streets. A fixed sunroof would probably leak less and alleviate the mechanical issues with opening sunroofs. Not to mention being far cheaper.

Agreed on most points. However, I've found that the sunroof is great for ventilating the car when parked--or at least it used to be until they took away the 15% setting because some [fill in the blank] complained that it whistled while driving. I guess whomever complained couldn't move it to another setting. 15% was just right for venting because it allowed air flow. 12% doesn't allow air flow and 20% opens it too far (bird droppings).

I wouldn't mind one that just opened to 15% when parked and did nothing else. It would solve most of the problems.

Multi-touch on the "physical button emulator" parts of the 17" display. Let me explain.

The car is my wife's daily driver. In the evenings when we go out together, I usually drive. So I open the driver's door and sit down, and the seats are in her configuration, and the music comes on quite LOUD. I go to press the driver profile button so I can sit comfortably, my wife in the passenger seat goes to press the volume down button. Two presses in two totally different areas of the screen...and they get ignored or confused. The slapstick continues when I then try to press the homelink button to open the garage door, while she starts entering our destination on the nav. Once again, the two uses of the screen collide.

If these were physical buttons, both of us could use it at the same time. As "soft" buttons, the system should allow multi-touch and correctly interpret these simultaneous inputs.

Make the necessary changes to enable continuous high power output so the car can lap a circuit without the car dialing back power after a few short minutes.

Improved visibility would be nice (especially out the rear glass) but I wouldn't trade that for worse aero...

My 2 cents:
1. Narrower body and tire-to-tire width for city dwellers. Current P+ and 21 wheels doesn't fit in many city parkings in Tokyo and (I heard) some European cities. 190cm?
2. Higher quality leather in upholstery. I've seen butt marks and wrincles in some test drive cars.
3. More color choices especially metallic. Can't believe there's no black metallic.
4. Adaptive cruise control.
5. AC outlet

I would have optioned this in a heartbeat. Got the solid roof instead.

Really important (to me):
  1. Better seats: more side bolstering and longer for more thigh support. They have plenty of cushion, though, drove an 18 hour day twice and no issues.
  2. Rack mount points for non-pano roof
  3. Steering settings that adjust the steering ratio, not just the effort needed to turn the wheel
  4. More color choices (brighter)
  5. Nav that incorporates "flight planning" information so that I can choose the best speed and route given winds, temperature, elevation change, etc

I agree that an AC outlet, and more USB and DC outlets, would be nice :smile:
Everything else is niggles and I honestly don't miss the "safety" enhancements like parking assist, blind spot warnings, lines on the camera, ACC, etc.

I bought an inventory (service loaner) that was the absolute best mix of what we wanted, didn't want, and wanted to spend. In an ideal world, I would have also:

1) Stretched the purchase to include the +
2) Added parking sensors
3) Added the cold weather package