Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably because in CA, it's illegal to have any tint (aside from factory installed) on either the driver or passenger front windows.

I thought this as well, but it turns out there is a caveat.

this is directly from the CHP FAQ section of the CA DMV website:

"Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

• The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
  • If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.
However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced."

So, if you want to use 3m crystalline to reduce cabin heat and further reduce UV rays, you can get the 90% which is essentially clear and it is legal to put on the front side windows. Doesn't look as cool, but would still reduce heat transmission for energy (think battery) efficiency. FWIW.

Cheers.

-------

Update:

Just as a confirmation of this, I did contact the place where I will tint my Model S to confirm that the 90% conformed to this, and apparently it is considered part of the exception noted above. Step lower than that, and then you are illegal again.

Last edited:
I haven't decided yet on what I'm putting on. As mine is going to be Black with Tan interior, I am thinking either 3M crystalline 40% all around, or 3M Ceramic 30% all around. hmm............I wish I had some good pictures to know exactly what it would look like. I see the above 20% all around which looks great but I think would cause me to get stopped too many times. I also want the car to remain a little more 'classier' and less 'ghetto'. Don't get me wrong, I love that 20% all around. But I'm thinking that 3M crystalline 40% all around, or 3M Ceramic 30% all around would look perfect for what I'm going for...

I also know that one post has pics of Ceramic 40% all around which does look good but may be a bit on the lighter side. It's really hard to tell which is darker, the
3M crystalline 40% or 3M Ceramic 30%... I know 30% would be but it is a different kind of film so not really easily comparable without exact photos of them.

I'm putting 3m crystalline 40 on the rear sides and hatchback glass, with the 90 on the front side glass as discussed above. Want to keep the car legal here in CA, but also want to:

1) reduce battery usage for temp control
2) reduce glare inside the car, and particularly for my kids in the rear jump seats on sunny days
3) make it harder to see what is in the back (can always use the frunk for really important stuff I don't want to tempt people with--Not getting the parcel shelf as I would never use it)
4) as a nice side effect, but not at all my point, make the car slicker in appearance. I think it looks better when the front windows are the same tint as the back, but being illegal I will skip the probable cause thank you very much. Even though I have "nothing to hide" I hate being pulled over. Not a fan of those lights in my rear view mirror at all, plus I am chronically running late so if I get pulled over the time-suck would likely be super problematic.

I can post photos after the tint is applied but my appointment is scheduled for Feb 5th right now so it will be a little while.

Cheers

1) reduce battery usage for temp control

this alone is the reason why everyone Tesla owner should tint their windows using 3M Crystalline - helps maximize range!

I think it looks better when the front windows are the same tint as the back

I agree, it does make the car look slicker when the front and rear sides match. I am definitely going for that, regardless of legality.

but being illegal I will skip the probable cause thank you very much.

Though you do have a legitimate reason. See my first point ^^^ ;)

I can post photos after the tint is applied but my appointment is scheduled for Feb 5th right now so it will be a little while.

Please do!! Thanks!

Here's 3M Crystalline 40 all around (front, rear, & hatch) nothing on the windshield. Nevermind the dirty car.. Sun is southish facing into the windshield with black leather interior.

Crystalline is more bronze than the dark gray, seems quite a bit lighter than most of the 35's or 30's that I've seen. I personally don't like it too dark and 40 is just about right. My previous cars have had Huper Optik ceramic and the 3M seems really clear, not sure if it's just the age tint on the older cars, but the clarity of the tint is excellent on the 3M film.

E37C8386.jpg

E37C8370.jpg

E37C8357.jpg

E37C8371.jpg

Here's 3M Crystalline 40 all around (front, rear, & hatch) nothing on the windshield. Nevermind the dirty car.. Sun is southish facing into the windshield with black leather interior.

Crystalline is more bronze than the dark gray, seems quite a bit lighter than most of the 35's or 30's that I've seen. I personally don't like it too dark and 40 is just about right. My previous cars have had Huper Optik ceramic and the 3M seems really clear, not sure if it's just the age tint on the older cars, but the clarity of the tint is excellent on the 3M film.

This is perfect, thank you! This is exactly what I am going to put on. Any chance you can get a shot of the back??

Here is 3m crystalline 70 on the front side and 40 on the back side and rear.I haven't decided on the front. i got a test piece to tape in the front windshield. I'll do a test with dash temp using bare window, 3m crystalline and a blacked out section.

8399747876_ea00147253_b.jpg

8399748336_a23d78699c_b.jpg

Has anybody in the sunnier climates found a need to tint the pano roof? Or feels that there would be an advantage to do so?

We've had some great sunny weather the past week or so (cold as heck, but sunny) and there is an incredible difference between pano open and closed. It really does feel like there is nothing there for the sun to come through -- it blocks out that much.

Tint Pictures!

I had window tinting applied to the windows yesterday. I did all of them other than the windshield. The product is SolarGard Ultra Performance. I did 40 on the rear windows and the back window but went with 75 on the fronts because my wife really does not like driving while looking through dark windows.

And, yes, my car is FILTHY. It's cold out and I drive it everyday. I might go look for a touchless car wash today.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Last edited:
I am looking to tint my car as well. Has anyone been told by the tint installer that they should get ceramic film due to GPS interference? Has anyone installed metal films and not had any issues?

We've had some great sunny weather the past week or so (cold as heck, but sunny) and there is an incredible difference between pano open and closed. It really does feel like there is nothing there for the sun to come through -- it blocks out that much.

Thanks! My mother who will be driving this car is extremely light sensitive so we're hoping that it will be dark enough but I have a bad feeling that she's still going to request to get the pano tinted further on sheer principle.

Pics of my car with 40% ceramic tint all the way around:
Black/Tan Photos (#1299))

Is that the 3M ceramic? I'll have the blue w/ black interior but I'm torn. Your 40% looks perfect in the pics but I worry my black seats will give an illusion of being darker so I'm considering 50%. 50% is the legal limit here also, although I doubt 40 will cause me to get pulled over. What's the difference between the ceramic and the 3M crystalline anyhow?

Crystalline uses more advanced technology. Much better infrared/UV rejection and glare reduction. And obviously more expensive than the ceramic. Ceramic is still a VERY good product. Crystalline is just the holy grail of all tint, the cream of the crop.
Ok. Crystalline is what I have set to go on mine. Is there a visual different between the ceramic 40 and crystalline 40? I assume there shouldn't be in terms of "blackness".