Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50 on rear and 35 on sides? You know that 50 is lighter than 35, right? Unusual config..usually people have the rear darker and sides a bit lighter (so as not to get pulled over as often). I am still planning on putting 3M Crystalline 40 all around (except windshield).
Yes, my Roadster is set up the "usual" way. 5 on the rear (was constantly getting blasted by headlights but on second thought would get 18) and 35 on the sides.

For the Model S my wife is worried that visibility out the back is already poor and with the auto-dimming mirrors isn't that concerned about headlights shining in.

The 35 on the rear sides is to keep sun out of the baby's eyes since her commute is North-South. She's trying to decide between 50 or 35 on the front sides. 50 to not worry about getting pulled over (and to not dim her view of the side mirrors) or 35 so they match the rear sides.

Who is doing the tint for you?
These guys: Auto Image Window Tinting - Belmont, CA

They did my Roadster a couple years ago and have 6 Model S's under their belt. Nothing but high praise for them.

Here is my 60 kWh Silver Model S with Formula One Pinnacle Ceramic Tint, 35% up front and %15 in the rear:

P1300381.jpg

Installed by Sunbusters in Austin, Tx:

http://www.sunbusterstint.com/

For $399 (with tax).

My car took longer because they had to fix the paint armor too, but I dropped it off at 9am and it was done by 2pm. I live down the street, so Shane even gave me a ride home after I dropped the car off and offered to pick me up.

Here is a picture of the car in my garage. Not the best lighting, but the tint looks great. Did 35 on all windows.

egatebed.jpg

Chris also recommended Shane. But it's in Peoria (50 miles from my home). How long does it take to get the tint done?

I went to the same place John did, and got the same tint. Wow, great work and no color hue at all that I can see.

NightMS-small.jpg

Here is my 60 kWh Silver Model S with Formula One Pinnacle Ceramic Tint, 35% up front and %15 in the rear:

Installed by Sunbusters in Austin, Tx:

http://www.sunbusterstint.com/

For $399 (with tax).

p.s. uh nice driveway John!

Last edited:
Got my windows tinted this afternoon. Only a crappy cell phone pic, it was drizzly and overcast but a decent amount of light.

attachment.php?attachmentid=17003&d=1361572063.jpg

35% (GA legal limit) Formula One Pinnacle (ceramic film) on all windows and rear hatch. $400. Looks like a really good tint job.

Received my S two weeks ago and had tint and 3M clear bra installed last weekend. The tint is 35% on all windows and the clear bra was a full hood wrap, front quarter panels, mirrors, bumper and the edges of each door. The job was so good that I thought they had forgotten to do the clear bra! I have used this shop (in Beaverton, Oregon) for years and I'm always impressed with their quality (and cost, windows and rear were under $275 and the 3M clear bra was under $1,175). Sorry for the cell phone pics...in the garage, but it's better than nothing.
IMG_0945.jpg
IMG_0946.jpg

The last time I had windows tinted was several years ago. At the time they told me not to put down the windows for a couple of days after having the tinting installed. On my S, the windows go down a bit when the doors are opened, and then back up when the door closes. Has this feature caused people problems or can it be disabled?

Got my windows tinted this afternoon. Only a crappy cell phone pic, it was drizzly and overcast but a decent amount of light.

35% (GA legal limit) Formula One Pinnacle (ceramic film) on all windows and rear hatch. $400. Looks like a really good tint job.

More pics up on my Skydrive. Here is a teaser pic with a good camera. Again it wasn't bright out. You can barely see through them during the day. But I suck with the legal limit.

TeaserDSC_6594.jpg

Attachments

• TeaserDSC_6551.jpg
    TeaserDSC_6551.jpg
    803.7 KB · Views: 4,577
  • TeaserDSC_6571.jpg
    TeaserDSC_6571.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 4,548
Got 3M Crystalline 40 all around, nothing on windshield or pano. Sorry about the iPhone pics and dirty car.

Had it done at G5 Tint in Alhambra - would definitely recommend them to anyone on the eastern side of Los Angeles.

IMG_5584.jpg

IMG_5571.jpg

IMG_5582.JPG

IMG_5577.jpg

The last time I had windows tinted was several years ago. At the time they told me not to put down the windows for a couple of days after having the tinting installed. On my S, the windows go down a bit when the doors are opened, and then back up when the door closes. Has this feature caused people problems or can it be disabled?
It's not a problem. Lots of cars do this nowadays. The small amount of movement won't hurt anything, they just don't want your to really roll it down.

• Helpful
Reactions: jrad6515
Anyone have experience with Huper Optik tint? Apparently it's some good stuff but pretty expensive.

Our BMW and Acura dealers in Phoenix both recommended the stuff strongly, and my own research seemed to bear out that it would block the greatest amount of heat. With black leather seats in Phoenix, you can bet your barnacles I cared about blocking heat, so we put the Huper Optik stuff on all three of our cars. We were absolutely thrilled with it for the three years that we were out there, and I'd be happy to use it again. In fact, our Acura MDX has now had that tint on the windows for 7 years now and still looks beautiful.

Any recommended shops for tint in the Bay Area?

I got my tint done at Auto Image in Belmont last week and will be there this Thursday to get a clear bra put on as we'll as carbon fiber on the rear diffuser. Feel free to let me know if you want to meet and check out the quality of the work

- - - Updated - - -

Another pic of my car is on their site http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/auto-image-window-tinting-belmont?selected=neJsVYj_Z6ll4wcuzMGcxA#neJsVYj_Z6ll4wcuzMGcxA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5,127